PhD Final Decision Thread Fall 2018

1 hour ago, Timemachines said:

hey folks - how did you word your email rejecting other offers of acceptance? Would highly appreciate the help! Feel like Im writing a novel for something that can otherwise be said succinctly and respectfully

Last year I basically said I was grateful for the offer but had decided on X school. I also mentioned wanting to stay in touch as I develop professionally because I was genuinely interested in their work and could see collaborations down the line. 

Have you moved out of your holding pattern your were in? 

37 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Last year I basically said I was grateful for the offer but had decided on X school. I also mentioned wanting to stay in touch as I develop professionally because I was genuinely interested in their work and could see collaborations down the line. 

Have you moved out of your holding pattern your were in? 

thanks Clinapp - I unfortunately have not. Its been pretty quiet on the part of one particular school which is holding me up in my decision making process, but I otherwise feel like I'll be able to make a more informed decision once I know all my options. At this time, I have to release one outstanding acceptance,  based on the guidelines of only keeping 2 at a time. It has proven to be a more uncomfortable exchange than I imagined...I feel awkwardly guilty, though I know this will open opportunity for other students that feel more passionate about the program, which is a relief. 

15 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

thanks Clinapp - I unfortunately have not. Its been pretty quiet on the part of one particular school which is holding me up in my decision making process, but I otherwise feel like I'll be able to make a more informed decision once I know all my options. At this time, I have to release one outstanding acceptance,  based on the guidelines of only keeping 2 at a time. It has proven to be a more uncomfortable exchange than I imagined...I feel awkwardly guilty, though I know this will open opportunity for other students that feel more passionate about the program, which is a relief. 

Honestly, I had similar feelings and procrastinated longer than needed in my e-mails declining offers. All the programs were completely supportive of my decision and some faculty reached out to me afterwards to connect with them at APA in SF this year. Only 1 POI asked me what school I was heading to and when I informed her, introduced me to an old colleague of hers at the school doing similar research as me in a different department. 

On 3/6/2018 at 2:06 PM, clinical_chicana said:

Thought I would start a thread so people can say where they decided to attend and maybe connect with other people going to the same program!

I will be attending Marquette University for Clinical Psychology!

I'll also be attending Marquette University's Clinical Psych PhD program!! Congrats!