MAPSS?

I was admitted to MAPSS a few days ago, and am really excited about the program!  I was wondering if anyone who is a current/former student could give some insight into the program, since most of the threads on MAPSS appear to be a few years old :)

I have a few questions below that are currently on my mind, but if anyone has anything to add that I didn't think of, please feel free to do so :)  Hopefully I don't exhaust all questions before visitation days!

• Do the visitation days give a good feel for the program?  I know that we will have to figure out our own housing and (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't any student hosting for MAPSS.  Do you have any suggestions on good places to stay for a few nights?  (Hotels, couch surfing websites, etc.?)
    • Also, what is the best way to get to UChicago?  Are there any places near the university you would recommend visiting, to get a feel for the neighborhood.  Are there any places you would recommend we not go to?
    • Something I'm really looking forward to on visitation days is meeting current students and professors - especially in theory.  Obviously, I can find professors via the Political Science page.  How easy is it to mix and mingle with current students, and get an idea about theorist-specific experience within MAPSS?  (Obviously, if you are a theorist currently in MAPSS (or an alum of MAPSS), I'd love to hear from you :P haha)
  • How is graduate housing?  I saw on the old threads that there is (was) a pest problem in graduate school housing.  Is that still the case?  How manageable is the pest problem?  In the alternative, what do you recommend for housing?
  • What's the workload like?  More specifically, how do you recommend I prepare myself for the workload?  I saw at least one post suggesting study groups.  Are these common?
  • How well do you get to know other MAPSS students in your field?  I'm given to understand that your preceptor has a heavy influence in the courses you take.  Is this true?  If so, does that mean you are with the same people in most of your classes?  (If I'm concentrating in theory, will that mean I am mostly with other theorists?  Will I be grouped with political science as a whole?)
    • I heard the program can be described as "antisocial", because of the workload, thesis, and pacing.  I'm fine with that, but has that been your experience?
  • Do you recommend the 10-day September math program?  For a theorist who hasn't taken math since Calc II?
  • How are the workshops?  I'm particularly interested in the Political Theory workshop, 3CT, and the Contemporary European Philosophy workshop.  (The social theory workshop to a lesser extent right now - though obviously its themes are relevant to any good political theoretical work.)  Does anyone know anything about these workshops that can give some insight?
  • What did you (do you) like the most about the program?  What are some negatives prospective students should know?

Also, are there any other prospective students strongly considering MAPSS?  Anyone going to the visitation days? :D 

Looks like you are pretty set on coming to MAPSS. Then a lot of your questions will be answered once you are in the program.

Workload is pretty heavy. I took two substantive and one method class every quarter. That's usually two 20-page papers and one final exam/project for finals. If you are in theory then you will probably write three papers every quarter. I think this is generally how heavy it is for Masters/pre-candidacy PhD.

I didn't choose graduate housing. There are plenty of housing options in Hyde Park. I would say housing here ranges from $500-$900/person in a 2b2b. 

I took a lot of classes with the same people and we got to know each other pretty well as the year went along. I think this is generally true for other people as well. The graduate students here are really nice, didn't treat me any differently.

I'm not sure what you want to know about workshops. I'm not in theory so I can't say much about theory workshops.

I think it's probably more important to know that MAPSS is a fairly large program so it's possible that one can just ride along/not put in as much effort.  It's a very good program but you have to bring the best out of you to stand out/be successful in PhD application. For those that stick to the end and apply for PhDs, MAPSS has a 90% placement record for funded offers. I know this year there are CP people who got into schools like Princeton/Berkeley/MIT/UChicago. Maybe those familiar with theory can jump in on this.

Good luck!

Edited by BobBobBob

I was not in MAPSS, but went to U of C for undergrad, and ended up taking a few graduate political theory seminars that were heavily populated by MAPSS students. I also was admitted to MAPSS afterwards, but decided not to attend. Here are my thoughts on the questions I feel I am qualified to answer:

• I know that we will have to figure out our own housing and (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't any student hosting for MAPSS.  Do you have any suggestions on good places to stay for a few nights?  (Hotels, couch surfing websites, etc.?)
    I would recommend AirBnB, as the local hotels are either too expensive or a bit of a trek from campus. You can get a private room or even an apartment for $20-50 per night.
    • Also, what is the best way to get to UChicago?  Are there any places near the university you would recommend visiting, to get a feel for the neighborhood.  Are there any places you would recommend we not go to?
      If you are coming from O'Hare, the best way to get to campus is to take the CTA Blue Line to Jackson, and then take the number 6 bus to Hyde Park. In terms of getting a feel for the neighborhood, I would recommend walking along the storefronts on 53rd and 57th street, and eating somewhere like Medici or Valois. Jimmy's (Woodlawn Tap) is the official unofficial local campus watering hole. There's also a pub in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall that serves decent food and has an excellent selection of beer. Harold's Chicken is also legendary.
      People will warn you not to venture south of 61st street or west of Cottage Grove Avenue. In my opinion, these concerns are overblown, but it's probably not a great idea to be strolling through Woodlawn or Washington Park after dark, unless you're traveling to the Green or Red Line. Currency Exchange Cafe is an excellent option if you are looking to step outside of the Hyde Park bubble.
    • Something I'm really looking forward to on visitation days is meeting current students and professors - especially in theory.  Obviously, I can find professors via the Political Science page.  How easy is it to mix and mingle with current students, and get an idea about theorist-specific experience within MAPSS?  (Obviously, if you are a theorist currently in MAPSS (or an alum of MAPSS), I'd love to hear from you :P haha)
      From what I understand, the MAPSS kids are somewhat close and friendly to one another, but the situation of so many students attempting to impress their professor to get a good LOR in the span of a year can make the seminar environment somewhat competitive. The professors vary in how much they invest in MAPSS students, but you're going to need to work to get noticed. There will be MAPSS students to talk to during Campus Days, but make sure you go out of your way to seek out the PT ones and interrogate them about their experience. I may be able to help with that, PM me if interested.
  • How is graduate housing?  I saw on the old threads that there is (was) a pest problem in graduate school housing.  Is that still the case?  How manageable is the pest problem?  In the alternative, what do you recommend for housing?
    Don't go into graduate housing. It is more expensive, smaller and generally more run-down than the rest of the apartments in Hyde Park. Get an off-campus apartment with a couple of roommates or a studio. UChicago Marketplace is a great site to find roomates or sublets for $450-700 per month per room.
  • What's the workload like?  More specifically, how do you recommend I prepare myself for the workload?  I saw at least one post suggesting study groups.  Are these common?
     It is hard. The main things that make it difficult are 1) the reading load, 2) the imperative to finish a master's thesis AND take a full course load within 9-12 months, and 3) the breakneck pace of the quarter system. You can prepare for the workload by getting started on developing your thesis question before you even enter the program, and learn how to skim texts efficiently for the core ideas (as you will find reading everything that is assigned to be a near impossibility. I also know students who spend their winter break completing a rough draft of their thesis have a much easier go of it during the winter and spring, and often graduate on time in June (only 20% of students do, most graduate in August). Yes, if you find the right people, you can study together, and this makes things much more manageable. However, political theory lends itself less well to collaboration, so keep that in mind.
  • How well do you get to know other MAPSS students in your field?  I'm given to understand that your preceptor has a heavy influence in the courses you take.  Is this true?  If so, does that mean you are with the same people in most of your classes?  (If I'm concentrating in theory, will that mean I am mostly with other theorists?  Will I be grouped with political science as a whole?)
    • I heard the program can be described as "antisocial", because of the workload, thesis, and pacing.  I'm fine with that, but has that been your experience?
       Your preceptor might have strong opinions about what courses you should take, but in the end, it's your decision. I had a friend who ignored her preceptor's advice at every turn, and things worked out just fine for her. I would trust your professors the most, as they will have the best idea of what admissions committees are looking for. 
      You definitely will see the same students over and over again as a MAPSS political theory student. This actually helps you form friendships, so I'd take it as a plus.
      UChicago in general is known as an anti-social place, but I don't think that's necessarily true anymore. Just make an effort to see people and ask them to do stuff, you'll be happy enough.
  • What did you (do you) like the most about the program?  What are some negatives prospective students should know?
    Get ready to work. Unlike some 1-year master's programs (especially in Europe), this isn't a glorified gap year. It will kick your ass if you don't stay on top of things and hunt opportunities. And for god's sake, go to office hours. The relationships you form with your professors are probably the most important thing that the program provides.

3 hours ago, not@prof_yet said:

How much can this advice be applied to CIR? Are they at about the same rigor?  Are there any pros or cons related to CIR compared to MAPSS?

Rigor? I would say yes, since you will be taught by the same department and the program requirement looks pretty similar. CIR is more flexible in the sense that it has the option of doing a second year (at least for past years). But I heard it's not guaranteed. You have to demonstrate you are in very good academic standing. You might also want to ask about their placement record.

Just now, BobBobBob said:

Looks like you are pretty set on coming to MAPSS. Then a lot of your questions will be answered once you are in the program.

Workload is pretty heavy. I took two substantive and one method class every quarter. That's usually two 20-page papers and one final exam/project for finals. If you are in theory then you will probably write three papers every quarter. I think this is generally how heavy it is for Masters/pre-candidacy PhD.

I didn't choose graduate housing. There are plenty of housing options in Hyde Park. I would say housing here ranges from $500-$900/person in a 2b2b. 

I took a lot of classes with the same people and we got to know each other pretty well as the year went along. I think this is generally true for other people as well. The graduate students here are really nice, didn't treat me any differently.

I'm not sure what you want to know about workshops. I'm not in theory so I can't say much about theory workshops.

I think it's probably more important to know that MAPSS is a fairly large program so it's possible that one can just ride along/not put in as much effort.  It's a very good program but you have to bring the best out of you to stand out/be successful in PhD application. For those that stick to the end and apply for PhDs, MAPSS has a 90% placement record for funded offers. I know this year there are CP people who got into schools like Princeton/Berkeley/MIT/UChicago. Maybe those familiar with theory can jump in on this.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input!  I hope you don't mind if I follow up a bit :) 

Yeah, MAPSS is my top choice right now (barring a significantly better offer such as a funded PhD program or a full ride at another MA program, including room and board).  But I do want to have more information to make sure I'm making the right choice :)

• Ok, 3 20 page papers isn't too terrible.  I'm guessing 3 classes each quarter?
  • Re: Housing: that's a relief.  I was thinking it would be $1,500/mo, which is what some of my friends in NYC are paying.  Was wondering how I would afford that.  Thanks!  How did you find your roommate, if you don't mind my asking?
  • Re: knowing people: ok, that makes a lot of sense.  I saw on a couple blogs that you don't get close to anyone because of the pacing, but it looks like those were wrong?

Regarding effort: I definitely plan to put as much effort in as I can.  I didn't consider the size of the program would make it harder in some ways, so I will make sure to keep that in mind as I move forward.  After all, the reason I'm going is to stand out for graduate schools haha, and just treading water will get me through, but won't cut it with the bigger fish in the sea :D 

I know you said you didn't do theory.  How hard is it to get to know people outside of your subfield?  I've always valued the knowledge persons who aren't in theory have, because they often provide a different way of looking at the world.  Do students in different subfields interact frequently?

Just now, luminalcoin8 said:

I was not in MAPSS, but went to U of C for undergrad, and ended up taking a few graduate political theory seminars that were heavily populated by MAPSS students. I also was admitted to MAPSS afterwards, but decided not to attend. Here are my thoughts on the questions I feel I am qualified to answer:

• I know that we will have to figure out our own housing and (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't any student hosting for MAPSS.  Do you have any suggestions on good places to stay for a few nights?  (Hotels, couch surfing websites, etc.?)
    I would recommend AirBnB, as the local hotels are either too expensive or a bit of a trek from campus. You can get a private room or even an apartment for $20-50 per night.
      If you are coming from O'Hare, the best way to get to campus is to take the CTA Blue Line to Jackson, and then take the number 6 bus to Hyde Park. In terms of getting a feel for the neighborhood, I would recommend walking along the storefronts on 53rd and 57th street, and eating somewhere like Medici or Valois. Jimmy's (Woodlawn Tap) is the official unofficial local campus watering hole. There's also a pub in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall that serves decent food and has an excellent selection of beer. Harold's Chicken is also legendary.
      People will warn you not to venture south of 61st street or west of Cottage Grove Avenue. In my opinion, these concerns are overblown, but it's probably not a great idea to be strolling through Woodlawn or Washington Park after dark, unless you're traveling to the Green or Red Line. Currency Exchange Cafe is an excellent option if you are looking to step outside of the Hyde Park bubble.
    • Something I'm really looking forward to on visitation days is meeting current students and professors - especially in theory.  Obviously, I can find professors via the Political Science page.  How easy is it to mix and mingle with current students, and get an idea about theorist-specific experience within MAPSS?  (Obviously, if you are a theorist currently in MAPSS (or an alum of MAPSS), I'd love to hear from you :P haha)
      From what I understand, the MAPSS kids are somewhat close and friendly to one another, but the situation of so many students attempting to impress their professor to get a good LOR in the span of a year can make the seminar environment somewhat competitive. The professors vary in how much they invest in MAPSS students, but you're going to need to work to get noticed. There will be MAPSS students to talk to during Campus Days, but make sure you go out of your way to seek out the PT ones and interrogate them about their experience. I may be able to help with that, PM me if interested.
    Don't go into graduate housing. It is more expensive, smaller and generally more run-down than the rest of the apartments in Hyde Park. Get an off-campus apartment with a couple of roommates or a studio. UChicago Marketplace is a great site to find roomates or sublets for $450-700 per month per room.
     It is hard. The main things that make it difficult are 1) the reading load, 2) the imperative to finish a master's thesis AND take a full course load within 9-12 months, and 3) the breakneck pace of the quarter system. You can prepare for the workload by getting started on developing your thesis question before you even enter the program, and learn how to skim texts efficiently for the core ideas (as you will find reading everything that is assigned to be a near impossibility. I also know students who spend their winter break completing a rough draft of their thesis have a much easier go of it during the winter and spring, and often graduate on time in June (only 20% of students do, most graduate in August). Yes, if you find the right people, you can study together, and this makes things much more manageable. However, political theory lends itself less well to collaboration, so keep that in mind.
       Your preceptor might have strong opinions about what courses you should take, but in the end, it's your decision. I had a friend who ignored her preceptor's advice at every turn, and things worked out just fine for her. I would trust your professors the most, as they will have the best idea of what admissions committees are looking for. 
      You definitely will see the same students over and over again as a MAPSS political theory student. This actually helps you form friendships, so I'd take it as a plus.
      UChicago in general is known as an anti-social place, but I don't think that's necessarily true anymore. Just make an effort to see people and ask them to do stuff, you'll be happy enough.
    Get ready to work. Unlike some 1-year master's programs (especially in Europe), this isn't a glorified gap year. It will kick your ass if you don't stay on top of things and hunt opportunities. And for god's sake, go to office hours. The relationships you form with your professors are probably the most important thing that the program provides.

Thanks for all that advice!  It's really helpful.  I hope it's ok if I follow up a bit :) 

• I would recommend AirBnB, as the local hotels are either too expensive or a bit of a trek from campus. You can get a private room or even an apartment for $20-50 per night.
    I'll definitely look into those.  Is everywhere except the areas you mentioned as bad pretty safe for my purposes?
    • In terms of getting a feel for the neighborhood, I would recommend walking along the storefronts on 53rd and 57th street, and eating somewhere like Medici or Valois. Jimmy's (Woodlawn Tap) is the official unofficial local campus watering hole. There's also a pub in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall that serves decent food and has an excellent selection of beer. Harold's Chicken is also legendary.
      I'll have to check those out!  Is there any you would recommend first?  I'm guessing these are in the safer area?
    • People will warn you not to venture south of 61st street or west of Cottage Grove Avenue. In my opinion, these concerns are overblown, but it's probably not a great idea to be strolling through Woodlawn or Washington Park after dark, unless you're traveling to the Green or Red Line. Currency Exchange Cafe is an excellent option if you are looking to step outside of the Hyde Park bubble.
      I'm guessing that Washington Park is a park,but where is Woodlawn?  Is that the area south of 61st street?  And if south of 61st street isn't great, why are so many of the good restaurants between 53-57?  Should I just visit those during the day?
  • From what I understand, the MAPSS kids are somewhat close and friendly to one another, but the situation of so many students attempting to impress their professor to get a good LOR in the span of a year can make the seminar environment somewhat competitive. The professors vary in how much they invest in MAPSS students, but you're going to need to work to get noticed. There will be MAPSS students to talk to during Campus Days, but make sure you go out of your way to seek out the PT ones and interrogate them about their experience. I may be able to help with that, PM me if interested.
    I'll PM, thanks!
  • Don't go into graduate housing. It is more expensive, smaller and generally more run-down than the rest of the apartments in Hyde Park. Get an off-campus apartment with a couple of roommates or a studio. UChicago Marketplace is a great site to find roomates or sublets for $450-700 per month per room.
    ok, thanks!  I'll check that out
  • It is hard. The main things that make it difficult are 1) the reading load, 2) the imperative to finish a master's thesis AND take a full course load within 9-12 months, and 3) the breakneck pace of the quarter system. You can prepare for the workload by getting started on developing your thesis question before you even enter the program, and learn how to skim texts efficiently for the core ideas (as you will find reading everything that is assigned to be a near impossibility. I also know students who spend their winter break completing a rough draft of their thesis have a much easier go of it during the winter and spring, and often graduate on time in June (only 20% of students do, most graduate in August).
    Ok, I'll try figuring out my thesis question over the summer.  Thanks!
  • Your preceptor might have strong opinions about what courses you should take, but in the end, it's your decision. I had a friend who ignored her preceptor's advice at every turn, and things worked out just fine for her. I would trust your professors the most, as they will have the best idea of what admissions committees are looking for. 
    That's sensible
    • You definitely will see the same students over and over again as a MAPSS political theory student. This actually helps you form friendships, so I'd take it as a plus.

Yeah, I'm definitely not complaining.  I just wasn't sure how cut-throat/backstabbing it could be.  (For reference: a few times in undergrad, I did get screwed over by "friends" trying to get the best grade they could, more than once.) 
  • Get ready to work. Unlike some 1-year master's programs (especially in Europe), this isn't a glorified gap year. It will kick your ass if you don't stay on top of things and hunt opportunities. And for god's sake, go to office hours. The relationships you form with your professors are probably the most important thing that the program provides.
    Yes!  I definitely plan to take advantage of office hours.  In your experience, are office hours generally course-focused?  I know some professors are happy to meet and chat, others are business-oriented.  I'm guessing it's a mix?

2 hours ago, BobBobBob said:

Rigor? I would say yes, since you will be taught by the same department and the program requirement looks pretty similar. CIR is more flexible in the sense that it has the option of doing a second year (at least for past years). But I heard it's not guaranteed. You have to demonstrate you are in very good academic standing. You might also want to ask about their placement record.

I saw someone from previous years said that the second-year option only admit 2-3 people every year...Do you know if this is still true?

Edited by Qw23

Anywhere in Hyde Park proper is safe. The streets are numbered to increase from north to south- that is, 53rd and 57th are north of 61st, and are therefore in the "safe zone," so to speak. Look at google maps if you don't understand what I mean.

Definitely keep the office hour topic of discussion discipline-focused, and respect their time. But it doesn't necessarily have to be on the course material itself.

Edited by luminalcoin8

Do most people wait until the following fall to apply to PhD programs after completion of the masters? If so (which I assume), what do people do during that off year? Do people stay in Chicago, stay affiliated with the university, perhaps even work as research assistants?

9 hours ago, luminalcoin8 said:

Anywhere in Hyde Park proper is safe. The streets are numbered to increase from north to south- that is, 53rd and 57th are north of 61st, and are therefore in the "safe zone," so to speak. Look at google maps if you don't understand what I mean.

Definitely keep the office hour topic of discussion discipline-focused, and respect their time. But it doesn't necessarily have to be on the course material itself.

Oh, that makes sense.  I guess I'm used to NY where the opposite is true

Of course!  

2 hours ago, cykchanaa said:

Hi, I also got admitted to MAPSS for political theory, not going to the visitation days though.

Congrats!

Out of curiosity, do you know if you will be attending the program yet?  (Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable with that)

15 hours ago, Ayerbender said:

Congrats!

Out of curiosity, do you know if you will be attending the program yet?  (Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable with that)

Thanks! Yes I will be attending, I am transitioning from an unrelated field. 

As a recent MAPSS student and Ph.D. applicant (accepted at a few places, like Berkeley/Columbia/Yale etc, so it's been working for me), here are my two cents: 

1) take as many methods courses as you can, and take them beyond what's offered by MAPSS preceptors (UChicago graduate students): try to take formal model/quantitative research course/game theory classes offered by the political science departments. Those are the ones that UChicago Ph.D. students will also be taking. More rigor and more respected by Ph.D. committee. 

2) MAPSS is a big program every year and includes many different fields. So, it is less likely to know many peer students. Probably some from your similar subfield (by going to same classes), but don't put expectations too high. 

3) good luck with finding a great adviser. The MA thesis research and the whole advising/mentorship experience, for me, is the most valuable part of my 9 months at MAPSS. My adviser is Bobby and I am doing IPE on trade. He is amazing (amazing and amazing) and without his weekly guidance, I would not finish the thesis early by May and get it presented/accepted at NPSA/MPSA/ISA and other conferences before/during the time I applied for Ph.D. programs.

But the individual faculty's attention to MA students really varies (also depending on how they feel about the value of your work), so try your best=)

On 2018/3/9 at 6:17 AM, not@prof_yet said:

Do most people wait until the following fall to apply to PhD programs after completion of the masters? If so (which I assume), what do people do during that off year? Do people stay in Chicago, stay affiliated with the university, perhaps even work as research assistants?

A few do work as RA after the MAPSS while applying for PhDs. And I know from my cohort the ones who have been doing RA work all have great Ph.D. offers now. 

Wow looks like it really worked out for you! That's giving me some confidence and hope.

How did most students fund their MA and pay for living costs? Are there fellowships available to apply for? I know I saw that RA and other work study programs are available but they only offer limited hours. 

If I end up attending, my intention is to only take PhD level coursework (outside of the, I think, 2 required core courses). Would you say you took 1 methods (formal theory, game theory, quant methods) per quarter and 2 seminars? Or sometimes 2 methods in a quarter? I'm trying to gauge how important the methods advice is (ie I should take at least 3 PhD methods courses or take up to 4 or 5 if possible). Do you recommend or do you know anyone that has taken courses in the econ PhD department? Specifically, I would mind taking the econometrics sequence and maybe the macroeconomics sequence (bc I have a bad grade from undergrad when I took PhD macro).

Edit: I would love (as we all would) not to take out any loans. Right now I'm contemplating the prospect of taking 20-30k in loans (for living expenses) for the year and considering whether this program is worth it.

Edited by not@prof_yet

40 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

Wow looks like it really worked out for you! That's giving me some confidence and hope.

How did most students fund their MA and pay for living costs? Are there fellowships available to apply for? I know I saw that RA and other work study programs are available but they only offer limited hours. 

If I end up attending, my intention is to only take PhD level coursework (outside of the, I think, 2 required core courses). Would you say you took 1 methods (formal theory, game theory, quant methods) per quarter and 2 seminars? Or sometimes 2 methods in a quarter? I'm trying to gauge how important the methods advice is (ie I should take at least 3 PhD methods courses or take up to 4 or 5 if possible). Do you recommend or do you know anyone that has taken courses in the econ PhD department? Specifically, I would mind taking the econometrics sequence and maybe the macroeconomics sequence (bc I have a bad grade from undergrad when I took PhD macro).

Edit: I would love (as we all would) not to take out any loans. Right now I'm contemplating the prospect of taking 20-30k in loans (for living expenses) for the year and considering whether this program is worth it.

That might be true that RAship may only offer limited hours that may not provide the full support, though I am not the best person to speak on this since I didn't do it.  Why also not considering going to find a manageable job (like teaching English in China) after the MA while wrapping up the PhD application. It could work. 

PhD committee not necessarily will be more impressed by quant classes from Economics  (departmental solidarity, I guess). I think take 2 methods courses per quarter within the political science would be certainly enough. And do it well so you can get good letters. 

Unfortunately I cannot speak fully on the "worth/value" of the program giving your situation, as I was not in your shoes. It is at least a bet with possible great turnoff. 

On 3/13/2018 at 2:40 AM, WHC_2017 said:

As a recent MAPSS student and Ph.D. applicant (accepted at a few places, like Berkeley/Columbia/Yale etc, so it's been working for me), here are my two cents: 

1) take as many methods courses as you can, and take them beyond what's offered by MAPSS preceptors (UChicago graduate students): try to take formal model/quantitative research course/game theory classes offered by the political science departments. Those are the ones that UChicago Ph.D. students will also be taking. More rigor and more respected by Ph.D. committee. 

2) MAPSS is a big program every year and includes many different fields. So, it is less likely to know many peer students. Probably some from your similar subfield (by going to same classes), but don't put expectations too high. 

3) good luck with finding a great adviser. The MA thesis research and the whole advising/mentorship experience, for me, is the most valuable part of my 9 months at MAPSS. My adviser is Bobby and I am doing IPE on trade. He is amazing (amazing and amazing) and without his weekly guidance, I would not finish the thesis early by May and get it presented/accepted at NPSA/MPSA/ISA and other conferences before/during the time I applied for Ph.D. programs.

But the individual faculty's attention to MA students really varies (also depending on how they feel about the value of your work), so try your best=)

How important are the methods courses?  I'm concentrating in theory and don't have a strong methods background - I'm afraid a graduate-level methods course would pretty much level me :/

Similarly, how are your experiences with fields outside your own?  Did you have upper-level training in other subfields before taking classes in them?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

Sorry, I feel like I've been bombarding this thread with questions. But, does anyone have any comments for comparing MACRM at the Harris School (Chicago public policy) and CIR? 

What is your plan after MA? Do you want to get a job or do you want to apply for PhD? I would email the director of each program and ask them where their students end up. And if you are interested in applying for PhD, ask about their placement record. 

On 3/21/2018 at 10:32 AM, Stdrauss said:

What is your plan after MA? Do you want to get a job or do you want to apply for PhD? I would email the director of each program and ask them where their students end up. And if you are interested in applying for PhD, ask about their placement record. 

The ultimate goal is PhD. That's a good idea, I'll ask each about there placement record. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping in pretty late here, but for those of you saying housing starts at $450-500 per month, does this include utilities, near campus, and a room to yourself (the apartment I don't mind sharing)? I was planning on commuting from the suburbs to save money but if it's really that cheap I almost might as well rent a place.