Why am I not getting chosen

Well, I’ve gotten nothing but bad news. 2 rejections and 2 waitlists. Still waiting to hear from one program but even if I get in there I can’t attend. I’m just really defeated. There are some of my classmates who have gotten accepted to 3+ programs and I’m not getting in anywhere. I really don’t want to be the one person who gets in nowhere, that would be so embarrassing. Why am I not good enough? I don’t know how I’ll manage waiting a year to apply and maybe not even get in then. I’m just beyond stressed and worried. I can’t take the constant bad news. I feel like I just have a useless undergrad degree and don’t even feel like I have anything to celebrate when I graduate in May. And I know my parents are going to be sad for me, and that makes me even more upset.

34 minutes ago, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Sorry to hear this :(

If you want a legit answer-- what was your GPA? GRE? Experience? Personal statement? Did you apply strategically to programs you could have a shot at? There are so many factors.

You can always contact programs and ask them why you were not considered and ask what you could do to improve your applications. 

My GPA overall is a 3.48 and my CSD GPA is around a 3.7. My GRE scores are definitely my weakness (didn’t reach 150 in either category). I have 4 years of experience working with children. I have research and TA experience. I thought I had a fair chance at getting into at least 2 of the programs. I even have an internship lined up for the summer. My personal statements were very strong. I emailed one school I got rejected from and emailed the schools I got waitlisted at asking about the process. I just need definite answers so I can start planning and processing things.

Edited by soontobeslp2018

34 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

My GPA overall is a 3.48 and my CSD GPA is around a 3.7. My GRE scores are definitely my weakness (didn’t reach 150 in either category). I have 4 years of experience working with children. I have research and TA experience. I thought I had a fair chance at getting into at least 2 of the programs. I even have an internship lined up for the summer. My personal statements were very strong. I emailed one school I got rejected from and emailed the schools I got waitlisted at asking about the process. I just need definite answers so I can start planning and processing things.

Wait lists do not mean that you will necessarily get rejected! Also please remember this process is so competitive, much more than what it was like for undergrad. You are about to graduate and that is a huge accomplishment! If I were you I would start to look for things you could do during a possible gap year, in my opinion this might make you feel better because you will start to see that there still is a lot you could do even if you don't start school right away. If you do have to wait a year, definitely retake your GRE. 

Best of luck to you! 

1 hour ago, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Sorry to hear this :(

If you want a legit answer-- what was your GPA? GRE? Experience? Personal statement? Did you apply strategically to programs you could have a shot at? There are so many factors.

You can always contact programs and ask them why you were not considered and ask what you could do to improve your applications. 

Hi! I'm so sorry. A ton of my buddies are in this spot now. Don't lose hope! I hear from graduate students all the time that they got into my school's program well after April 15. I'm a big thinker/planner/contingency type of person and if I didn't get in this year, here were some of my gap year plans:

Apply to developing programs 

Apply to more private colleges in rural areas

Use edfind to find programs that align with what I have to offer GPA/GRE wise 

become a SLPA

Get a certificate in assistive technology, go work in the schools 

Do research in the field

Take the GRE again (154 verbal, 143 quant, 4.5) 

Research more programs that don't take the GRE 

Gain more experience with multicultural issues or populations 

Going into this process, I tried to view my application the way an admissions board does: they usually score the applications for certain things - Multicultural experience, leadership experience, research experience, GPA, GRE, etc. I made sure to check off as many of those as possible. 

I was nervous because my overall was 3.36 on CSDCAS, 3.67 CSD, and my GRE quant was low. I had leadership, excellent reccs, multicultural experience, and a solid statement. I ended up getting into two schools early and rejected from 4. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few, but I only needed one.

I hope this helps. It can feel lonely this time of year when everyone is trying to be quiet/respectful/silently miserable. I'm rooting for you! 

There are some developing programs that are accepting applications through April 1st if this is an option for you. I personally am considering applying to a couple as I have had negative news as well. Also Nova Southeastern is accepting applications for Winter 2019 and they don't require GRE scores. I just spoke with someone that graduated from there, and she said she was able to work on campus to cover out of state tuiton costs if that's a concern for you.

The Sped department at my college also recruits many speech students, which can boost your resume and lead to other professional options in the meantime. Maybe this is an option in your area as well.

Good luck, I really hope this works out for you! Don't lose hope on your waitlist options either!

On 3/9/2018 at 10:18 PM, soontobeslp2018 said:

Well, I’ve gotten nothing but bad news. 2 rejections and 2 waitlists. Still waiting to hear from one program but even if I get in there I can’t attend. I’m just really defeated. There are some of my classmates who have gotten accepted to 3+ programs and I’m not getting in anywhere. I really don’t want to be the one person who gets in nowhere, that would be so embarrassing. Why am I not good enough? I don’t know how I’ll manage waiting a year to apply and maybe not even get in then. I’m just beyond stressed and worried. I can’t take the constant bad news. I feel like I just have a useless undergrad degree and don’t even feel like I have anything to celebrate when I graduate in May. And I know my parents are going to be sad for me, and that makes me even more upset.

May I ask why you wouldn't be able to attend a program you applied to?  This process is definitely frustrating, but there's still hope with the waitlists!  If you don't get accepted this cycle, you should look into programs that have spring admissions (their application process starts soon).  Taco (lol) also recommended some great options.  Also, have you looked into taking additional classes to raise your GPA in the major?  You can either retake classes or take additional CSD classes that your undergrad may not have offered. 

For me personally, I had a lower undergrad (outside of the major) but did a post-bacc program and made sure to get excellent grades.  I also found an in field volunteer opportunity which I think helped me a lot.  I also applied to schools around me but a few rural ones as well, as a back up just in case I wasn't accepted to schools near me.  I'm hoping one of the waitlists works out for you! Either way don't give up!  Even if you have to wait another year it's still better pursuing it if this is what you want to do. 

12 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

May I ask why you wouldn't be able to attend a program you applied to?  This process is definitely frustrating, but there's still hope with the waitlists!  If you don't get accepted this cycle, you should look into programs that have spring admissions (their application process starts soon).  Taco (lol) also recommended some great options.  Also, have you looked into taking additional classes to raise your GPA in the major?  You can either retake classes or take additional CSD classes that your undergrad may not have offered. 

For me personally, I had a lower undergrad (outside of the major) but did a post-bacc program and made sure to get excellent grades.  I also found an in field volunteer opportunity which I think helped me a lot.  I also applied to schools around me but a few rural ones as well, as a back up just in case I wasn't accepted to schools near me.  I'm hoping one of the waitlists works out for you! Either way don't give up!  Even if you have to wait another year it's still better pursuing it if this is what you want to do. 

I can’t attend the one program because they don’t offer housing options for graduate students that allow them to use financial aid to pay rent (I got rejected this morning so problem solved). Retaking classes would really do much for my GPA at the point, the only 2 classes I got a B in are classes I refuse to retake. I’ve taken all CSD courses offered by my school and even picked up a minor and am doing well in it which is helping my GPA, I’ll be graduating with Latin honors. I would apply for spring programs but I’m completely out of money from this round. 

I have an internship lined up for the summer, which is great but I didn’t find out soon enough to add it to my application. I’ve already decided to start studying for the GRE again and aready have a list of schools to apply for. I decided to add a few online programs too, and I’ve already started updating my resume and making note of what to write about in my next personal statements.

Hopefully I won’t need any of the lists I made, but I won’t know until after April 15th. Just a little over a month, fingers crossed I get positive news. And also hoping my second choice doesn’t run out of housing for grad students because then I really can’t go there either. If only I had enough money to be able to afford rent, school, food, and buy a car ?

5 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I can’t attend the one program because they don’t offer housing options for graduate students that allow them to use financial aid to pay rent (I got rejected this morning so problem solved). Retaking classes would really do much for my GPA at the point, the only 2 classes I got a B in are classes I refuse to retake. I’ve taken all CSD courses offered by my school and even picked up a minor and am doing well in it which is helping my GPA, I’ll be graduating with Latin honors. I would apply for spring programs but I’m completely out of money from this round. 

I have an internship lined up for the summer, which is great but I didn’t find out soon enough to add it to my application. I’ve already decided to start studying for the GRE again and aready have a list of schools to apply for. I decided to add a few online programs too, and I’ve already started updating my resume and making note of what to write about in my next personal statements.

Hopefully I won’t need any of the lists I made, but I won’t know until after April 15th. Just a little over a month, fingers crossed I get positive news. And also hoping my second choice doesn’t run out of housing for grad students because then I really can’t go there either. If only I had enough money to be able to afford rent, school, food, and buy a car ?

I'm hoping the waitlists work out for you!  Are you planning on using financial aid to cover the entire cost of tuition and housing?  I'm asking because for me, financial aid will not be enough and I will be taking out personal student loans to supplement my financial aid.  I know debt is a huge issue for some people but I'd rather take out loans then have to turn down a program. 

7 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

I'm hoping the waitlists work out for you!  Are you planning on using financial aid to cover the entire cost of tuition and housing?  I'm asking because for me, financial aid will not be enough and I will be taking out personal student loans to supplement my financial aid.  I know debt is a huge issue for some people but I'd rather take out loans then have to turn down a program. 

I filled out fafsa and grad students typically get 20,000 in loans (so 10,000 a semester) at all the programs I applied for I would be able to cover housing and tuition with the 10,000 each semester. I figured I wouldn’t have a competitive enough file to earn scholarships from the department so fafsa was my only option

5 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I filled out fafsa and grad students typically get 20,000 in loans (so 10,000 a semester) at all the programs I applied for I would be able to cover housing and tuition with the 10,000 each semester. I figured I wouldn’t have a competitive enough file to earn scholarships from the department so fafsa was my only option

Well a third option would to take out a personal loan to cover your remaining tuition/housing (anything over the 10K per semester if necessary).  It's a personal choice but something that you might want to look into. 

1 hour ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

Are you planning on working at all during school? I know it makes everything harder, and if you don't have a GA position it can be difficult to find a part-time job that is flexible and pays decently, but it at least makes finances easier. I would love to just go to school and not have to work, but I don't know how I could swing it otherwise. I did my undergrad and post-bacc online, and I've been working 50-60 hours a week throughout that stretch, so 20 hours a week sounds like a vacation! It's exhausting, but it can be done.

38 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

Are you planning on working at all during school? I know it makes everything harder, and if you don't have a GA position it can be difficult to find a part-time job that is flexible and pays decently, but it at least makes finances easier. I would love to just go to school and not have to work, but I don't know how I could swing it otherwise. I did my undergrad and post-bacc online, and I've been working 50-60 hours a week throughout that stretch, so 20 hours a week sounds like a vacation! It's exhausting, but it can be done.

I always try to get a work study job through fafsa so that way I know my hours won’t be too demanding and I also save all my money I make over the summer. It’s not the money part of grad school I’m worried about right now. I need to get in somewhere first.

40 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

Just seconding this. It’s tough to work while going to school, but I’ve been working full time throughout my undergrad and balancing 3 volunteer activities with leadership at school and classes. It’s insane,  but I’m making it work. Consider working through your program or taking loans if you do get into a program this year, maybe? By delaying your education until next year for economic reasons, you’re losing one year of potential income. 

Hey, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. It’s tough playing thr waiting game, but there’s definitely still time. I have friends who were accepted from the wait lists in mid May. Wait lists are not a death sentence, so don’t give up just yet!

It’s great that you’re already planning ahead for the next round just in case. Other people have already mentioned a lot of things you can do. I’d just like to add a few more.

Contact the schools you’re thinking of applying to and ask what aspect (GPA, GRE, letters, etc.) do they usually look at the most and try to build your application around that. (most of the time it’s GPA)

Check to see if the schools look at your school, post bac, or major GPA 

If you’re applying to a research-oriented program, find out what kind of research is being done there and how your personal experience would fit with areas of studies

Don't be afraid to go out of state or take loans. It’s just going to be an investment that you can pay back after you get your degree

Have solid letters of recommendation 

Make sure that your letter of intent gets the reviewers interested about you and what you can bring to the table to their school. The reviewers are professors who voluntarily review hundreds of applications on their own personal time. They’re not interested in what you know; they’re interested in your capability to grow.

All the money that you spent on grad apps are technically a tax write off. I learned this too late from some accounting friends of mine so while you might not be able to get everything back, you’ll be able to get some of it back.

And lastly, be proud of what you’ve accomplished. You have so much experience and you’re already thinking of doing more. You’ve gotten incredibly far and done so much. Being rejected does not define you. You’ve got extraordinary potential; you just have to believe in yourself for that extra push :)

I hope that everything goes well for you, and the wait lists pay off :)

Edited by itsjamie2u

I know how you feel. 

Applied to six schools, all in CA, rejected by one already. Interviewed with another, and the other 4 I have yet to hear from. 2 I can assume I won’t be getting in because I never got emailed about an interview, and now I’m just waiting on the other 2. 

I just wish they’d at least send me an email saying I’ve been rejected already instead of this waiting game. 

I should be hearing back from the one school I interviewed with by the end of the week, so I’m very anxious about that. They only take 20 and interviewed about 70. 

I did have a dream that I got accepted there so I’m just going to cling onto that for some hope lol

I do want to look at schools that are out of state that take spring cohorts. I’m hoping I don’t need to resort to that, but I’m getting desperate  

I wish you the best of luck!

On 3/9/2018 at 10:18 PM, soontobeslp2018 said:

Wow, I FEEL THIS!!!! So hard. It’s my spring break this week, I got two waitlists and one rejection, still waiting on two (Emerson being one, which has already sent out some acceptances so I assume I’m either waitlisted or rejected again). I feel so defeated. I thought I was in good standing, good GPA, average GRE scores (I  think this is my downfall), tons of experience, great LORs, special education minor, strong personal statement. It is beyond frustrating getting waitlisted. I find myself asking “why aren’t I good enough?” constantly. Seeing others with weaker GPA/GRE scores getting into schools you were waitlisted at is also discouraging. We just gotta hang in there and hope we’ll hear from the waitlists. The waiting sucks but it’s all we can do right now. Keep your head up! 

I'm confused too. Were you applying to PhD programs or Masters? I got into Psych Masters' programs w/a 2.71 GPA, RA experience and HORRIBLE GRE scores. If you were applying to PhD programs then you've got to understand how competitive programs are, how much of a crapshoot of luck they are COMBINED with the ranking of programs you're applying too. You really can't take it personally. I was completely shut out last year applying to PhD programs. All of my cohort members who applied to PhD programs, got in. It was super defeating to even hear them talk about it. But they were smart. They didn't apply to Top 50 programs. They applied to accredited programs that interested them but didn't apply to places that were competitive at all. I did. That was my mistake. This time around I've had more success because I took a page from their book. I'm suggesting if this year doesn't work out, get a job you can deal with and start looking at realistic, less competitive but successful programs and re-vamping all aspects of your application (reading over and rewriting everything). Next year you could probably get into schools without hassle.

****Also as a side note: Out of all my cohort members that went into their PhD, I'm the happiest and most "together". I've got a good job that puts me in the "middle class" at 25. Bought a car this year. I live on my own in DC, etc. And on the other hand...they're all super stressed, unhappy, discuss dropping out daily, have not gotten the hang of adulthood, etc. So it's not always a bad thing to be the odd one out...lol I know it feels crappy now, but you really don't know WHERE you'll be physically and emotionally in a year. You could be happier. 

5 hours ago, itsjamie2u said:

Hey, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. It’s tough playing thr waiting game, but there’s definitely still time. I have friends who were accepted from the wait lists in mid May. Wait lists are not a death sentence, so don’t give up just yet!

It’s great that you’re already planning ahead for the next round just in case. Other people have already mentioned a lot of things you can do. I’d just like to add a few more.

Contact the schools you’re thinking of applying to and ask what aspect (GPA, GRE, letters, etc.) do they usually look at the most and try to build your application around that. (most of the time it’s GPA)

Check to see if the schools look at your school, post bac, or major GPA 

If you’re applying to a research-oriented program, find out what kind of research is being done there and how your personal experience would fit with areas of studies

Don't be afraid to go out of state or take loans. It’s just going to be an investment that you can pay back after you get your degree

Have solid letters of recommendation 

Make sure that your letter of intent gets the reviewers interested about you and what you can bring to the table to their school. The reviewers are professors who voluntarily review hundreds of applications on their own personal time. They’re not interested in what you know; they’re interested in your capability to grow.

All the money that you spent on grad apps are technically a tax write off. I learned this too late from some accounting friends of mine so while you might not be able to get everything back, you’ll be able to get some of it back.

And lastly, be proud of what you’ve accomplished. You have so much experience and you’re already thinking of doing more. You’ve gotten incredibly far and done so much. Being rejected does not define you. You’ve got extraordinary potential; you just have to believe in yourself for that extra push :)

I hope that everything goes well for you, and the wait lists pay off :)

It’s just if I get off a waitlist from either school and they don’t have Housing available for me then I can’t go at all. I won’t have the money to pay rent and buy food. But then if I don’t get in I have to start paying loans while I try to retake the GRE and pay all those damn application fees again. It’s just a big money scam

37 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

It’s just if I get off a waitlist from either school and they don’t have Housing available for me then I can’t go at all. I won’t have the money to pay rent and buy food. But then if I don’t get in I have to start paying loans while I try to retake the GRE and pay all those damn application fees again. It’s just a big money scam

You can take out personal student loans to cover your living expenses (in addition to FAFSA).  If you don't get accepted to the school, then you don't have to take out the loans at all.  Or are you referring to other loans that you have? 

42 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I'd also like to add that you don't have to pay off the loans until you complete the program and by that time you will be working. 

5 hours ago, menalta17 said:

I'm confused too. Were you applying to PhD programs or Masters? I got into Psych Masters' programs w/a 2.71 GPA, RA experience and HORRIBLE GRE scores. If you were applying to PhD programs then you've got to understand how competitive programs are, how much of a crapshoot of luck they are COMBINED with the ranking of programs you're applying too. You really can't take it personally. I was completely shut out last year applying to PhD programs. All of my cohort members who applied to PhD programs, got in. It was super defeating to even hear them talk about it. But they were smart. They didn't apply to Top 50 programs. They applied to accredited programs that interested them but didn't apply to places that were competitive at all. I did. That was my mistake. This time around I've had more success because I took a page from their book. I'm suggesting if this year doesn't work out, get a job you can deal with and start looking at realistic, less competitive but successful programs and re-vamping all aspects of your application (reading over and rewriting everything). Next year you could probably get into schools without hassle.

****Also as a side note: Out of all my cohort members that went into their PhD, I'm the happiest and most "together". I've got a good job that puts me in the "middle class" at 25. Bought a car this year. I live on my own in DC, etc. And on the other hand...they're all super stressed, unhappy, discuss dropping out daily, have not gotten the hang of adulthood, etc. So it's not always a bad thing to be the odd one out...lol I know it feels crappy now, but you really don't know WHERE you'll be physically and emotionally in a year. You could be happier. 

Speech Pathology is just incredibly competitive. Many schools have a 3.7-3.9 average for who they let in, maybe a handful of people with under a 3.0 get in anywhere. And that's at the majority of schools, not just top programs. Many of the profs in my undergrad will actually tell students to reconsider applying if they have anything less than a 3.5.