Why am I not getting chosen

17 hours ago, snoves said:

Speech Pathology is just incredibly competitive. Many schools have a 3.7-3.9 average for who they let in, maybe a handful of people with under a 3.0 get in anywhere. And that's at the majority of schools, not just top programs. Many of the profs in my undergrad will actually tell students to reconsider applying if they have anything less than a 3.5.

lol, I've received that same conversation from my advisors as well. The 'if you don't have _____, _____, & _____, you may as well save your money' speech. I'm sure a good amount of people on this forum have sat through that conversation. Idk if you know much about the clinical psych realm, but it's extremely competitive as well. Maybe the poster doesn't have enough experience outside of a GPA in comparison to their competition.  You really don't know what you're up against, which is why I'm once again, re-suggesting he/she reapply at less competitive schools (doesn't mean those schools are competitive in general...it just means applying to University of Maryland, instead of Harvard.)

1 hour ago, menalta17 said:

lol, I've received that same conversation from my advisors as well. The 'if you don't have _____, _____, & _____, you may as well save your money' speech. I'm sure a good amount of people on this forum have sat through that conversation. Idk if you know much about the clinical psych realm, but it's extremely competitive as well. Maybe the poster doesn't have enough experience outside of a GPA in comparison to their competition.  You really don't know what you're up against, which is why I'm once again, re-suggesting he/she reapply at less competitive schools (doesn't mean those schools are competitive in general...it just means applying to University of Maryland, instead of Harvard.)

Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with you! I think that people saying you need X GPA in order to get into grad school is total bullshit. I was just saying that it's hard to find schools that aren't really competitive. I agree that they should look at schools that are not high ranked.

So sorry to hear this, but don't give up! I know the waiting process is difficult. I am two years out of undergrad, applied three years in a row and FINALLY today got my first acceptance. I have a low GPA, and decent GRE scores. I think what helped me was emailing the programs I was rejected from last year to ask how I could strengthen my application. Almost all of them said 1) get experience in the field, and 2) take classes. For the last two years I've been working as a Developmental Therapist w/Communication Specialty for my state's early intervention program, and this year I have been working full-time as an SLPA (in addition to DT after school). I took three courses at a nearby university this summer in their Communication Disorders program while working to show that I can handle work and a strong course load. I would also recommend applying to schools where they grant interviews, so that you have the opportunity to really sell yourself! Hopefully you get in somewhere this year, but if not keep trying!!! I'm almost grateful that I didn't get in the last two years because now I'll be entering a program with tons of therapy experience. There's always a silver lining:) Best of luck!!!

On March 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM, soontobeslp2018 said:

Well, I’ve gotten nothing but bad news. 2 rejections and 2 waitlists. Still waiting to hear from one program but even if I get in there I can’t attend. I’m just really defeated. There are some of my classmates who have gotten accepted to 3+ programs and I’m not getting in anywhere. I really don’t want to be the one person who gets in nowhere, that would be so embarrassing. Why am I not good enough? I don’t know how I’ll manage waiting a year to apply and maybe not even get in then. I’m just beyond stressed and worried. I can’t take the constant bad news. I feel like I just have a useless undergrad degree and don’t even feel like I have anything to celebrate when I graduate in May. And I know my parents are going to be sad for me, and that makes me even more upset.

Try Southern University in Baton Rouge.  They have an April 15th deadline and aren't as competitive!

On 3/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, slp2be0827 said:

Wow, I FEEL THIS!!!! So hard. It’s my spring break this week, I got two waitlists and one rejection, still waiting on two (Emerson being one, which has already sent out some acceptances so I assume I’m either waitlisted or rejected again). I feel so defeated. I thought I was in good standing, good GPA, average GRE scores (I  think this is my downfall), tons of experience, great LORs, special education minor, strong personal statement. It is beyond frustrating getting waitlisted. I find myself asking “why aren’t I good enough?” constantly. Seeing others with weaker GPA/GRE scores getting into schools you were waitlisted at is also discouraging. We just gotta hang in there and hope we’ll hear from the waitlists. The waiting sucks but it’s all we can do right now. Keep your head up! 

Hey guys! I'm also waiting for Emerson and am actually kind of annoyed because usually schools let you know if you've been put on the waitlist but I emailed Emerson asking about something else and then asked when they will be letting us know by and they said if we haven't heard back yet we were put on the waitlist...and that we should hear before April 15th. I asked if they sent out an email because I hadn't received anything at all (honestly kind of upset about that) and she didn't answer my question. So there you go...hope you guys get in though! I have to start figuring out my backup plan because I honestly can't wait on them forever :/

I got accepted into a program last year and prior to that, I was denied at least a dozen times.

What changed was my writing sample (letter of intent) and my recommendation letters. 

For my letter of intent, I sent that off to my friends who were English majors, one was a lawyer, and another one proofread essays as a career. They all helped me refine my letter of intent. I truly believe that got me in the door. 

A co-worker of mine taught me the trick to recommendation letters...that is to ask your references what they are going to write, then ask them to add more. When I think about it, I am sure the admissions committee gets a ton of letters describing someone's grades and dependability. Have you references talk about your flexibility in accepting criticism (You will get that a lot during practicum), etc. 

I copied and pasted this from another website, but maybe suggest to your references to talk about these qualities if you do decide to apply again. 

1. attention to detail 
2. ability to think for themselves 
3. dependability - reliable 
4. follow through – complete projects 
5. punctuality 
6. teamwork 
7. motivation - invested 
8. knowledge (of content) 
9. computer skill 
10. research skills – familiarity with research process 
11. work with minimum supervision 
12. ability to assess his/her level of understanding of task and ask appropriate questions 
13. enough basic understanding and background to resolve simple questions 
14. tenacity - persistent 
15. research experience 
16. well-organized 
17. critical thinker – good problem solver 
18. adaptable - flexible 
19. curiosity - enthusiasm 
20. analytical 
21. willingness to tolerate ambiguity 
22. systems approach = awareness of connections /connectability 
23. individual initiative – take initiative 
24. willingness to ask questions 
25. competent/thorough 
26. good reading and writing skills 
27. work hard 
28. quick learner – open to learning - bright 
29. focus

8 hours ago, CAgirl13 said:

Hey guys! I'm also waiting for Emerson and am actually kind of annoyed because usually schools let you know if you've been put on the waitlist but I emailed Emerson asking about something else and then asked when they will be letting us know by and they said if we haven't heard back yet we were put on the waitlist...and that we should hear before April 15th. I asked if they sent out an email because I hadn't received anything at all (honestly kind of upset about that) and she didn't answer my question. So there you go...hope you guys get in though! I have to start figuring out my backup plan because I honestly can't wait on them forever :/

Sorry jk, the lady I talked to knew nothing. Just got an email saying to login to the portal and I got waitlisted. They said I’d find out anytime up until July 1st...

2 hours ago, CAgirl13 said:

Sorry jk, the lady I talked to knew nothing. Just got an email saying to login to the portal and I got waitlisted. They said I’d find out anytime up until July 1st...

Saw that on my portal too. Nearly died when I saw July 1st! That’s insane. I’m starting to think of backup plans as well, I’ve almost lost all hope at this point. 

Trust me I feel this, I applied my senior year and did not get in anywhere.  All of my roommates got into SLP graduate programs and I had to really think about what to do with myself.  I ended up working at a preschool for 2 years, considered numerous other careers and ultimately realized that just because I didn't get in the first round didn't mean I had to change my career path.  Long story short, I retook some courses I didn't do that great in at a college near me.  I was able to do really well in these courses, which showed  I was determined and motivated.  I ended up being accepted at the program, which has an amazing reputation and now I am happier then ever that things didn't "work out" according to my original plan.  I know it is hard to hear when you are going through it but everything really does work out how it should, just persevere and remain positive!

On 3/22/2018 at 12:44 PM, viiiper said:

I got accepted into a program last year and prior to that, I was denied at least a dozen times.

What changed was my writing sample (letter of intent) and my recommendation letters. 

For my letter of intent, I sent that off to my friends who were English majors, one was a lawyer, and another one proofread essays as a career. They all helped me refine my letter of intent. I truly believe that got me in the door. 

A co-worker of mine taught me the trick to recommendation letters...that is to ask your references what they are going to write, then ask them to add more. When I think about it, I am sure the admissions committee gets a ton of letters describing someone's grades and dependability. Have you references talk about your flexibility in accepting criticism (You will get that a lot during practicum), etc. 

I copied and pasted this from another website, but maybe suggest to your references to talk about these qualities if you do decide to apply again. 

1. attention to detail 
2. ability to think for themselves 
3. dependability - reliable 
4. follow through – complete projects 
5. punctuality 
6. teamwork 
7. motivation - invested 
8. knowledge (of content) 
9. computer skill 
10. research skills – familiarity with research process 
11. work with minimum supervision 
12. ability to assess his/her level of understanding of task and ask appropriate questions 
13. enough basic understanding and background to resolve simple questions 
14. tenacity - persistent 
15. research experience 
16. well-organized 
17. critical thinker – good problem solver 
18. adaptable - flexible 
19. curiosity - enthusiasm 
20. analytical 
21. willingness to tolerate ambiguity 
22. systems approach = awareness of connections /connectability 
23. individual initiative – take initiative 
24. willingness to ask questions 
25. competent/thorough 
26. good reading and writing skills 
27. work hard 
28. quick learner – open to learning - bright 
29. focus

Proof reads essays as a career? Where do I find a professional like that? I would love someone to look at my letter!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, NYslp93 said:

Trust me I feel this, I applied my senior year and did not get in anywhere.  All of my roommates got into SLP graduate programs and I had to really think about what to do with myself.  I ended up working at a preschool for 2 years, considered numerous other careers and ultimately realized that just because I didn't get in the first round didn't mean I had to change my career path.  Long story short, I retook some courses I didn't do that great in at a college near me.  I was able to do really well in these courses, which showed  I was determined and motivated.  I ended up being accepted at the program, which has an amazing reputation and now I am happier then ever that things didn't "work out" according to my original plan.  I know it is hard to hear when you are going through it but everything really does work out how it should, just persevere and remain positive!

Do you mind telling where you got into/ended up?

Last time I wrote in here I was really struggling - waitlisted at all my schools and extremely discouraged. As time went on, I accepted the fact that everything happens for a reason and began to think of plans if I don't get in anywhere. Today, I found out that I made it off the waitlist at one of my top choice schools! I prayed and prayed on this. So to anyone that may see this and is having a hard time, what's meant to be will be! Don't get too discouraged, rather make other plans and the right ones will fall into place. "If plan A doesn't work, remember there are 25 other letters in the alphabet" :D