Philadelphia, PA

Guest penn

Don't know what you program is but for the science phds I think it's around $2200 per month. I think you can find studios for 650 or so, and apparently it's a lot cheaper to do shared housing. 

Are you coming to philly in August or June?

I have chosen Penn. I don't have to come until near Fall, obviously, but I have been told I can start projects whenever I get down there so I may try to go earlier and get settled in. For CS the stipend is the same, 29k or ~2200/month accounting for taxes. I wouldn't be getting that until the start of Fall obviously, but I may have enough savings to work it out going early. When are you moving in?

I have chosen Penn. I don't have to come until near Fall, obviously, but I have been told I can start projects whenever I get down there so I may try to go earlier and get settled in. For CS the stipend is the same, 29k or ~2200/month accounting for taxes. I wouldn't be getting that until the start of Fall obviously, but I may have enough savings to work it out going early. When are you moving in?

I'm coming to Philly on Jun 22nd for the ITA training, and have signed a lease. I think if you start projects early you also get paid early (they should pay you if you work for them). Hope it works out. Have fun. 

• 7 months later...

Hey,

i am thinking about applying to some grad schools in california, and my GPA is 3.5/4.0

can anyone tell me your experience or recommendation about grads schools in california that are worth to apply with my GPA? 

Thanks! 

Edited by aaaaavon

Chapman University, Loma Linda University, University of Pacific, San Marcos, East Bay.  GPA is only one part of an app though. GRE and volunteer experience are very important as well.

• 1 month later...

I have an offer from Penn - not sure if I'll be taking it yet, as I still have an interview to come with another top choice, but there's a pretty strong chance so I'm starting to think about housing.

I'm an international student who realistically won't be able to arrive in Philly until shortly before the start of semester (I can't afford to get short-term accommodation before my stipend begins, and I don't think an F-1 visa will even allow me to be in the country before late July). I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect of doing an apartment search remotely, without being able to look at places or speak to landlords/agents in person. I'm kinda tempted by Sansom Place, at least for the first year, because it would save me SO MUCH hassle and stress. But the reviews in this thread are mixed and it seems quite expensive, so what to do?

Hello! I'm currently in my second year of grad school at California State University Fresno for Speech Language Pathology and definitely remember going here for all my questions! I need your help and if you could help, I would be soooooo grateful! It's not about school, but if you have questions for me about anything, I will be happy to answer them. Here goes......

My fiance and I are up to win a wedding in Ireland, but our video needs the most likes to win. We are up against 2 couples from Ireland and they are really beating us. If you could follow the link, go to Hotel Doolin Ireland's facebook page and 'LIKE'  the Corey and Celina video, we would be extremely grateful! Thank you for your time! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=563328510470945&id=230886327048500

Thank you,

Celina

I grew up in Philly and live here currently (and I'm still waiting to hear from UPenn!) so let me know if you have any questions about particular neighborhoods, nightlife, etc.

If I'm accepted at UPenn, then I will stay in my current apartment, which is in the Fairmount neighborhood.

Cheers.

DF394: If you have the time, check out Trulia.com and Hotpads.com. Craigslist is really useful, as they have a map interface for scoping out sections. Trulia and Hotpads are useful for their "heat map" view, where you can see the expensive areas or even the high-crime areas to avoid. This should at least give you an estimate of what you're comparing Sansom Place to.

(btw, PhillyCJ this is JV ... I know my name is dumb)

Edited by Turretin

Hello everyone!

Can any of you advice me which part of Philly is the "Asian" area with Asian restaurants and supermarkets? =) I really want to live near an Asian supermarket because I cook for myself everyday.

Hey all, any info closer to Salus U? I'm in Michigan, moving over the summer; I'm needing to be up in the north-east part of the city or further out that direction. Any helpful tips about moving to the state/housing/roads, etc?

I have an offer from Penn - not sure if I'll be taking it yet, as I still have an interview to come with another top choice, but there's a pretty strong chance so I'm starting to think about housing.

I'm an international student who realistically won't be able to arrive in Philly until shortly before the start of semester (I can't afford to get short-term accommodation before my stipend begins, and I don't think an F-1 visa will even allow me to be in the country before late July). I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect of doing an apartment search remotely, without being able to look at places or speak to landlords/agents in person. I'm kinda tempted by Sansom Place, at least for the first year, because it would save me SO MUCH hassle and stress. But the reviews in this thread are mixed and it seems quite expensive, so what to do?

Kind of worrying about the same problem! I will not be able to arrive at Philly before the mid-Aug.

I have also received my admission from Penn, but still waiting for NYU, Columbia etc. My potential supervisor at Penn is academically quite strong. So it is quite possible for me to choose Penn in the end...  

Still haven't make up my mind about Philly or New York...

Hello everyone!

Can any of you advice me which part of Philly is the "Asian" area with Asian restaurants and supermarkets? =) I really want to live near an Asian supermarket because I cook for myself everyday.

Chinatown is roughly Vine/Race/Arch Streets, from about 7th/8th to Broad. It's a nice area and accessible by the MFL (one of the two subway lines running through the city). Hope this helps!

Hi all!

I FINALLY GOT ACCEPTED INTO A GRADUATE PROGRAM!!! HURRRRRAYYYYY!! After 3 years of rejections, FINALLY FINALLY!

I was accepted into Temple and will most likely attend this fall.

I went to Temple last week for an interview with the Director of the program, and I realized the neighborhood surrounding it wasn't adequate, to say the least.

Anyone looking for a roommate or have any suggestions on where to live while attending TU?

I'm attending Temple for the MS in Financial Engineering.

Hi folks!

I just got an acceptance from UPenn's Graduate School of Education and I'm now debating Penn vs. Vanderbilt vs. NYU. And of course, I'm also debating Philly vs. Nashville vs. NYC. I've spent a couple of weeks in NYC before so I have an idea of what to expect from it, but I've never been to Nashville or Philly.

Any insights on how life as a grad studnt would really differ between these 3 cities?

For context, I'm an international student from Pakistan. I'll have a stipend adjusted for cost of living in whichever city I go to. The stipend won't be huge but I should be able to live within it, provided I spend in moderation.

Any help would be much appreciated! =)

Chinatown is roughly Vine/Race/Arch Streets, from about 7th/8th to Broad. It's a nice area and accessible by the MFL (one of the two subway lines running through the city). Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Hi all!

I FINALLY GOT ACCEPTED INTO A GRADUATE PROGRAM!!! HURRRRRAYYYYY!! After 3 years of rejections, FINALLY FINALLY!

I went to Temple last week for an interview with the Director of the program, and I realized the neighborhood surrounding it wasn't adequate, to say the least.

Anyone looking for a roommate or have any suggestions on where to live while attending TU?

Hello! First, congrats! :) I've got accepted into Temple too, some time ago. Not sure if I would attend it yet, waiting out on some others. But if I would go there then yeah, I would be looking for accommodations too. Realistically speaking I could not be there before the start of August, Visa and all that, so finding room would be quite hard. I was looking at this, is the safety map for Philly (someone familiar with the area might confirm if it's accurate) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zVuLVX-55AtU.kAQoLpXFO6Q8&msa=0

Edited by elf11

Hi all!

They have graduate housing on the edge of Chinatown, at the Podiatry campus.  

I've met a few Temple students who live in the Poplar section of Philly (btwn Fairmount and Northern Liberties, I think).

Congrats on your acceptance.

Hello everyone!

There are lots of Asian supermarkets on/near Cherry St. (approaching the Convention Center at 11th St.).  They're also building new apartments on Cherry.  Walk-ups predominate on 10th, lofts are on Race St./Arch St. and relatively new apartment buildings (and walk-ups) are on 9th St. 

I'm going to be heading to UPenn this fall (most likely!) and I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can shed some light on housing in/around UPenn. I read a bunch of reviews about Sansom Place and I'm not convinced yet. Thoughts?

Cheers

I'm going to be heading to UPenn this fall (most likely!) and I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can shed some light on housing in/around UPenn. I read a bunch of reviews about Sansom Place and I'm not convinced yet. Thoughts?

Cheers

ditto!

Hello! First, congrats! :) I've got accepted into Temple too, some time ago. Not sure if I would attend it yet, waiting out on some others. But if I would go there then yeah, I would be looking for accommodations too. Realistically speaking I could not be there before the start of August, Visa and all that, so finding room would be quite hard. I was looking at this, is the safety map for Philly (someone familiar with the area might confirm if it's accurate) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zVuLVX-55AtU.kAQoLpXFO6Q8&msa=0

Yea, that's pretty accurate, though not entirely. For details on the types of crime I'd check out Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/local/philadelphia-pa/tiles:1%7Cpoints:1_crime(though note that the the data around city hall is skewed; not entirely sure why.)

But I myself live in the area that the google map you linked aptly titled "just north of girard," haha. It is safe here. It's also fairly safe in Brewerytown, which is not accurately reflected in the google map.

There are actually some Temple students in my building, though I don't think there are any open rooms at the moment. There are lots of row homes along Girard that have been converted into 3-4 apartments. Anywhere on Girard Ave is safe, and it'd be within walking distance to Temple if you live between 10th-17th on Girard.