Philadelphia, PA

Guest penn

Any insight regarding UPenn's on-campus graduate apartments (Samson Place)? Wasn't even aware of that option before seeing it on the housing website. Are they decent?

I spent a semester there in 2007. They were a decent place to live for a short time. It's very 70s and the rooms reflect their age. I had one of the single rooms with shared bathroom. The room itself was a decent size and it was high enough in the building for the street noise to be negligible. It's very institutional, and if I had to do it again, I'd bring my own bed. But they are very conveniently located. Also, for graduate housing, there sure are a lot of undergrads.

Hey

just wanted to bump this up. I will be attending Temple come fall and moving there from San Francisco this summer. I am used to expensive housing that is hard to find and I am hoping Philly will be a little bit better on this front.

I have lived in "transitional" areas in SF and Oakland with no problems but I was a little taken aback by North Philly when I visited Temple. I guess things seem more comfortable when you know where you're going and know a neighborhood better even if it is a little sketchy.

So any up to date suggestions on where to live? I don't have a car and do not plan to. The student I stayed with when I interviewed lived in Center City which I thought was great and the commute to school seemed easy. It does seem like it could get pricy and as I'm older and have got used to living alone, I do not want roommates. So I would be looking for a studio or 1 BR. oh and I have one, well behaved very clean cat. ;)

Is South Philly a good option? Any ballpark figures on studios/ 1 BRs?

and if school starts in late Aug/ early Sept. when would be the best time to secure housing? I know early is better but I would rather not pay double rent for the summer.

THANKS PHILLY FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by hamster

Hey Hampster! I live in South Philly right now (Pennsport) and love it. I can give you some info on the area.

I would definitely avoid some of those neighborhoods in north Philly by Temple- the ones that seem sketchy usually are. There are some okay areas in the Loft district, but it's still not my favorite area. You can easily take the bus or subway from south Philly to Temple; it's not far away at all. Subway isn't super extensive--you have to go to Broad st to take it--but it's doable, and there are plenty of buses.

Center city is a great option, but yeah, it's expensive. Queen Village (just south of center city) is a beautiful neighborhood and cheaper than center city. It has a lot of young folks and I absolutely adore it. Tree-line streets, well-taken care of historic homes, coffee shops, restaurants, shops, etc. We looked to buy our house there, but the prices were still just a big high, so we went a little bit further south to Pennsport, but are in a really good neighborhood that I'm happy with. But Queen Village would probably be my #1 recommendation to you if you're looking for something close to center city that's at more reasonable prices.

If you go south, you want to stay in the east area if you can, east of Broad St. The west part (not referring to west Philly, but the far left part of "east" Philly before that river) gets sketchy about 1/2 mile+ out of center city, especially as you go farther south. It is my unofficial opinion that south of center city, general the further east you are (towards the Delaware river), the nicer the neighborhoods are.

As far as price goes, a quick search in Queen Village reveals one bedrooms at around $700. I'm not sure about the best time to lock in a rental--I think 2-3 months out is probably a good time to start seriously searching. If you need any other tips or have questions about neighborhoods, feel free to PM me, I'm more than happy to help!

Hey Hampster! I live in South Philly right now (Pennsport) and love it. I can give you some info on the area.

I would definitely avoid some of those neighborhoods in north Philly by Temple- the ones that seem sketchy usually are. There are some okay areas in the Loft district, but it's still not my favorite area. You can easily take the bus or subway from south Philly to Temple; it's not far away at all. Subway isn't super extensive--you have to go to Broad st to take it--but it's doable, and there are plenty of buses.

Center city is a great option, but yeah, it's expensive. Queen Village (just south of center city) is a beautiful neighborhood and cheaper than center city. It has a lot of young folks and I absolutely adore it. Tree-line streets, well-taken care of historic homes, coffee shops, restaurants, shops, etc. We looked to buy our house there, but the prices were still just a big high, so we went a little bit further south to Pennsport, but are in a really good neighborhood that I'm happy with. But Queen Village would probably be my #1 recommendation to you if you're looking for something close to center city that's at more reasonable prices.

If you go south, you want to stay in the east area if you can, east of Broad St. The west part (not referring to west Philly, but the far left part of "east" Philly before that river) gets sketchy about 1/2 mile+ out of center city, especially as you go farther south. It is my unofficial opinion that south of center city, general the further east you are (towards the Delaware river), the nicer the neighborhoods are.

As far as price goes, a quick search in Queen Village reveals one bedrooms at around $700. I'm not sure about the best time to lock in a rental--I think 2-3 months out is probably a good time to start seriously searching. If you need any other tips or have questions about neighborhoods, feel free to PM me, I'm more than happy to help!

Thanks so much. This is great info.($700 rent would be a dream come true!) I may send you some follow up questions. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. I was just wondering how bike friendly Philadelphia really is. I see a couple of people mentioning that one should bike but are there bike lanes? Do drivers treat bikers with animosity? I want to be able to save as much money as possible and I think one of the easiest thing would be to not take my car with me. I'm primarily speaking about the area around Penn.

Edited by diehtc0ke

Hey all. I was just wondering how bike friendly Philadelphia really is. I see a couple of people mentioning that one should bike but are there bike lanes? Do drivers treat bikers with animosity? I want to be able to save as much money as possible and I think one of the easiest thing would be to not take my car with me. I'm primarily speaking about the area around Penn.

Around Penn, there is a bike lane on Walnut Street (the northern side of campus) that goes from around 23rd street over the bridge, and around 34th street you have to merge back into traffic. When the South Street bridge is finished (supposedly December of this year, but I wouldn't put money on it) there will be a similar lane going from 25th and South Street over the bridge and a good way down Spruce. There aren't bike lanes in West Philly, but plenty of people do bike it -- you won't be the only one. Keep in mind that Penn has several blocks of "interior" space with no roads (look at the campus on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean), so you may have to walk your bike a few blocks depending on what building you're headed to.

For more info, you can check out this map or contact the very nice people at the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia.

Drivers treat everything with animosity -- bikes, pedestrians, other drivers. Be prepared to bike very defensively. There is also the usual level of ignorance regarding sidewalks (lots of cyclists bike on the sidewalks, and lots of drivers think that's where they're supposed to be).

Around Penn, there is a bike lane on Walnut Street (the northern side of campus) that goes from around 23rd street over the bridge, and around 34th street you have to merge back into traffic. When the South Street bridge is finished (supposedly December of this year, but I wouldn't put money on it) there will be a similar lane going from 25th and South Street over the bridge and a good way down Spruce. There aren't bike lanes in West Philly, but plenty of people do bike it -- you won't be the only one. Keep in mind that Penn has several blocks of "interior" space with no roads (look at the campus on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean), so you may have to walk your bike a few blocks depending on what building you're headed to.

For more info, you can check out this map or contact the very nice people at the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia.

Drivers treat everything with animosity -- bikes, pedestrians, other drivers. Be prepared to bike very defensively. There is also the usual level of ignorance regarding sidewalks (lots of cyclists bike on the sidewalks, and lots of drivers think that's where they're supposed to be).

Those links and your information is super helpful. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm moving to Philly in the fall to start my PhD at Penn. I'm looking to get a dog, a French bulldog in particular, and I'm wondering how dog-friendly the city is. I'll probably be living in Center City, any nice dog runs? Do most places allow dogs in, etc.?

On 4/21/2010 at 8:37 AM, ristastic said:

Hey all, I'm moving to Philly in the fall to start my PhD at Penn. I'm looking to get a dog, a French bulldog in particular, and I'm wondering how dog-friendly the city is. I'll probably be living in Center City, any nice dog runs? Do most places allow dogs in, etc.?

I have two dogs and find the city to be very dog-friendly. There are official dog parks (like with fencing, pooper scoopers, water, benches, etc.) and unofficial ones (where people just tend to congregate with their dogs) all over town. I like to take my pups over to Fairmount Park in the Boathouse Row area; it's not really a dog park but there are lots of people there after work with their furry friends. Actual, fenced dog parks that I've frequented at different points during my tenure in Philly: Orianna Hill (Northern Liberties; http://www.oriannahill.org/), Seger Park (behind Superfresh, between 10th & 11th on Rodman; http://www.segerdogrun.org/), Schuylkill River dog park (25th between Pine & Locust; http://phillyfido.net/), and one at Front & Chestnut (not sure what it's called). There are tons of parks all over the city, too, so even if you don't end up near an actual dog park, there are lots of green places to walk your pooch. Also, many restaurants here that have outdoor seating let you bring your dogs and will keep dog bowls and treats around.

Edited by rogue

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I thought I would send out some feelers here before heading to Craigslist.

I am looking for a renter for 1BR in a large, 4BR row house in southern Grad Hospital starting in mid-August or September. I purchased the home this summer and I am looking for another grad student to share the place with me and my boyfriend. The renter would have their own bedroom and bathroom as well as access to a guest room for extra storage or a potential work space, in addition to sharing the common areas of the house (which happen to be beautiful and spacious!). The rent is $600/mo, including utilities.

I'm currently a PhD student at Temple and my boyfriend does computer network setup and maintenance for local businesses. We are pretty easy-going, respectful, and generally low-key, and we are looking for a like-minded roommate.

Please message me or reply for more info or photos.

Thanks,

Sarah

• 7 months later...

Early as in, I know a lot of people who get their leases signed in November/December for the following school year.

I am international student so there are many things I am yet to learn about renting an apartment in the US :)

One thing that I do not understand: if I sign a lease so early, when do I start paying for an apartment? Do I start paying as soon as I sign? So that if I sign several months before I come, I pay for all this time though I am not living in the apartment?

And if I don't do that - how can landlords can be sure I WILL come and WILL start paying??

Edited by Strangefox

So... new question!

I am interviewing at Drexel and strongly considering their Masters program in Psychology for the fall (if I get accepted). I am originally from the suburbs of Philly- I went to high school right near Villanova University. My parents live closer to Delaware and my sister lives in Villanova. My parents used to live downtown, about 30ish years ago, and they have a pretty bad impression of downtown Philly. They're pretty opposed to me moving from safe, fun Cambridge/Boston to downtown Philly. And I haven't spent much time in downtown Philly besides shows and dinners and the like.

Any thoughts on:

- safety in the area around Drexel

- great areas around Drexel for housing & approx cost

- public transportation in general

- nightlife

Or, anyone who goes to Drexel currently have pros/cons about relocating there?

So... new question!

I am interviewing at Drexel and strongly considering their Masters program in Psychology for the fall (if I get accepted). I am originally from the suburbs of Philly- I went to high school right near Villanova University. My parents live closer to Delaware and my sister lives in Villanova. My parents used to live downtown, about 30ish years ago, and they have a pretty bad impression of downtown Philly. They're pretty opposed to me moving from safe, fun Cambridge/Boston to downtown Philly. And I haven't spent much time in downtown Philly besides shows and dinners and the like.

Any thoughts on:

- safety in the area around Drexel

- great areas around Drexel for housing & approx cost

- public transportation in general

- nightlife

Or, anyone who goes to Drexel currently have pros/cons about relocating there?

For what it's worth, I only lived in Philly for two months last year, but these are my impressions: Safety's not really a concern in most parts of the UPenn/Drexel-adjacent University City area. The several blocks surrounding both of the schools are well patrolled by campus police. I lived in the area and never once felt unsafe walking at night. Things can get dodgy the further north/west you go and the further from either of the campuses, but I wouldn't feel like you're moving into the ghetto by any means. If you're especially concerned, I'd stay south of Spring Garden around Drexel and east of, say, 46th below Market St. (conservatively). So basically, stick to Powelton Village and Spruce Hill in West Philly, or you also have the option of easily living in Center City anywhere along the Market-Frankford Line, but expect to pay more. Relatively inexpensive house shares seem super easy to find, not as sure about apartments, though. You may find you'll have a better quality of life for cost than you do now in Boston.

Anyone more familiar with the city can feel free to correct me - it would actually be helpful as I'm considering Penn for next year.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful

For what it's worth, I only lived in Philly for two months last year, but these are my impressions: Safety's not really a concern in most parts of the UPenn/Drexel-adjacent University City area. The several blocks surrounding both of the schools are well patrolled by campus police. I lived in the area and never once felt unsafe walking at night. Things can get dodgy the further north/west you go and the further from either of the campuses, but I wouldn't feel like you're moving into the ghetto by any means. If you're especially concerned, I'd stay south of Spring Garden around Drexel and east of, say, 46th below Market St. (conservatively). So basically, stick to Powelton Village and Spruce Hill in West Philly, or you also have the option of easily living in Center City anywhere along the Market-Frankford Line, but expect to pay more. Relatively inexpensive house shares seem super easy to find, not as sure about apartments, though. You may find you'll have a better quality of life for cost than you do now in Boston.

Anyone more familiar with the city can feel free to correct me - it would actually be helpful as I'm considering Penn for next year.

Thanks

I'm curious about nicer, newer apartment complexes in Philadelphia, does anyone have any recommendations of places to check out? My husband works, so we wouldn't be doing this on just my grad stipend. We've lived in "charming" old buildings for many years now and are looking to spend a couple of years in a fancier building with modern appliances! Any tips on where to look?

I am going to Penn in the fall for my MFA and I have a 3 year old son. I need to be really close to campus and in a safe area. I will be touring apartments during the week of April the 4th. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful before I get there! I have never been to Philly....

Edited by wannaknow

I moved to Philly last year for school. I live a little off the beaten track but still close enough to walk. There's few neighborhoods that seem especially grad student friendly, West Philly, especially near Baltimore Ave out to about 50th. They just reopened the South Street Bridge, so the area just over the bridge is pretty convenient. If you're looking for newer, nicer places and are willing to either spend a little more or live in a smaller place, there are several neighborhoods in Center City (Fitler Square, Avenue of the Arts, the museum area) with nice places, especially if you have time to look.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

I'm also willing to answer any PMs with questions about Philly as best I can. I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and worked downtown (in Old City) for two years. My sister and brother have both been undergrads at Temple, and both currently live in the city. So while I've never lived downtown myself, and while I have to admit that University City is the area of Philly I'm least familiar with, I'm happy to try to answer any questions I can.

Some disorganized thoughts on Philly living, off the top of my head:

• Northern Liberties and South Philly are some of the most affordable places to live, from what I hear (and my bro loves living in Northern Liberties). You won't be walking distance from campus, but Philly has so many buses and the els are fairly convenient. Lots of people bike in the city, too.
  • My sister managed to get a cheap apartment (3 BR) near Washington Square/Jefferson Uni, though, and I know others have succeeded in finding some cheap places in the midtown area. But this involves lots of looking a bit of getting lucky, perhaps.
  • Anyone considering Temple, my advice is to try to live somewhere in the city off the Broad Street el line. Living right off of campus is...well, people do it, and my sister is blase about visiting friends who do it, but I personally wouldn't. I'd prefer to commute and be more comfortable leaving my apartment at night.

I will be attending Temple this Fall. Right now I'm considering a 2nd floor studio located on W. Diamond between N. Carlisle and 15th st, about 1 block away from Campus. I know it's a very tough area to live, but I really enjoy the proximity to school. I'm not planning to walk out in the evening/at night at all, all the PhD courses are held during daytime. Is this doable? Am I missing anything?

I will be attending Temple this Fall. Right now I'm considering a 2nd floor studio located on W. Diamond between N. Carlisle and 15th st, about 1 block away from Campus. I know it's a very tough area to live, but I really enjoy the proximity to school. I'm not planning to walk out in the evening/at night at all, all the PhD courses are held during daytime. Is this doable? Am I missing anything?

Plenty of students do it, and now that they finally built a grocery store two years ago you'll have more options than just the Rite-Aid and Chinese takeout for getting yourself some food (without having to take public transportation, I mean). I think it's up to you—I highly advise you visit the area first and get a feel for it.

If you want my own opinion (and you're free to ignore it), I personally just wouldn't feel safe living off campus. Temple does a great job of policing campus itself (making the campus one of the safest in the country, my sister told me?), but you need to be careful off campus. Last December my sister and I visited some friends of hers somewhere a few blocks away from Temple (sorry, I'm not super familiar with North Philly), and about 15 minutes after we left, at 11pm-ish, they heard a bunch of gunshots not too far from their apartment.

This is incredibly anecdotal, but I think general consensus out there is that off-campus is iffy and not as policed as it could be. This thread on another forum might be helpful: http://www.city-data...niversity.html.

Note that the Broad Street el has a stop on campus at Temple; a lot of students live somewhere off the Broad Street line and commute in. There's some cool areas to live around South Philly, for instance, that would be accessible via Broad.

Edited by runonsentence

Also, for anyone else locating here for the first time, this forum might be of general interest: Philadelphia Forum.

I found it really helpful when I was considering a move from my parents house in the 'burbs to the city, to make my work commute easier. The locals on this board are pretty knowledgeable.

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some, but what's the weather like? I'm heading to Temple this fall, and I'm coming from Charleston, SC. If there's a possibility of frozen water falling from the sky, everything shuts down here until it's over. Anyone out there that's made the South/North transition and would like to comment on it? I'm not sure if I need to start buying sweaters or what ;)

Plenty of students do it, and now that they finally built a grocery store two years ago you'll have more options than just the Rite-Aid and Chinese takeout for getting yourself some food (without having to take public transportation, I mean). I think it's up to you—I highly advise you visit the area first and get a feel for it.

If you want my own opinion (and you're free to ignore it), I personally just wouldn't feel safe living off campus. Temple does a great job of policing campus itself (making the campus one of the safest in the country, my sister told me?), but you need to be careful off campus. Last December my sister and I visited some friends of hers somewhere a few blocks away from Temple (sorry, I'm not super familiar with North Philly), and about 15 minutes after we left, at 11pm-ish, they heard a bunch of gunshots not too far from their apartment.

Thank you so much for the ideas. Yes I will be visiting the area next week and see how it is first. My parents are quite concerned about the safety issue and prefer to have me living with other female students.

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some, but what's the weather like? I'm heading to Temple this fall, and I'm coming from Charleston, SC. If there's a possibility of frozen water falling from the sky, everything shuts down here until it's over. Anyone out there that's made the South/North transition and would like to comment on it? I'm not sure if I need to start buying sweaters or what ;)

Ha well up until about two years ago, I would have told you that we don't get THAT much snow...but ever since I moved out to the Midwest, Philly's become a freakin' snow belt!

The suburbs are really good at snow removal (it takes at least 6 inches to paralyze them, unlike SC which I'd guess is like Cincinnati—OMG there's an inch of snow, close everything!1!1!!). The city, though, has more trouble with plowing so the side streets get a little tricky if you're driving. Some kind of snow boot recommended for walking. Doesn't need to be hardcore, but you'll want something warmer than a sneaker.

We definitely get all four seasons in Philly. You'll ned a few sweaters, yes. ;)

Thank you so much for the ideas. Yes I will be visiting the area next week and see how it is first. My parents are quite concerned about the safety issue and prefer to have me living with other female students.

You're welcome, good luck with your apartment search.

Tell your parents that campus is safe. My parents were worried, too, and asked me to to apply there for undergrad; but my sister does just fine leaving campus at night to bike back to her apartment (she's a junior undergrad) and it's rare to hear of something awful happening on campus. And there are plenty of safe areas to live in the city. If they come with you to visit, take some time to visit the rest of the city, too, so that they can see that the entirety of Philadelphia isn't like the ghettos of North Broad.