Philadelphia, PA

Guest penn

Thank you so much for the ideas. Yes I will be visiting the area next week and see how it is first. My parents are quite concerned about the safety issue and prefer to have me living with other female students.

My sister is in her first year of grad school at Temple and she lives in Rittenhouse Square and LOVES it (I've been to visit her a few times and love it too!) It's an easy walk to the Broad Street line, and it's just an ideal area to be in when she's not in class. Shops, parks, and restaurants everywhere, and at least in my Boston-area opinion, the rent is very reasonable (she lives alone in a large studio apartment). She would definitely agree that campus itself is safe, but I don't think she would want to live nearby and I don't think any of her classmates do/would either.

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some, but what's the weather like? I'm heading to Temple this fall, and I'm coming from Charleston, SC. If there's a possibility of frozen water falling from the sky, everything shuts down here until it's over. Anyone out there that's made the South/North transition and would like to comment on it? I'm not sure if I need to start buying sweaters or what ;)

I did the transition when I moved to Philly from Richmond, VA for college four years ago. When I decided to head Nawth, I didn't own a winter coat, hat, or shovel. YOU WILL NEED ALL THESE THINGS. It has snowed like you wouldn't believe in the last two years; if you're bringing a car, you should especially consider things like 4WD or snow tires, neither of which my car has. It's not going to be as much of an issue as if, say, you were in the mountains of Vermont or something, but I was completely incapacitated during the most recent snowstorm because my car simply couldn't handle it.

As far as clothes go, layering is the thing to master. That, and snow pants. My mom bought me snow pants, and they're the best thing I've ever owned. Philly is notorious for its wind tunnels because of all the buildings, so biking/walking to class in the winter can be absolutely hellish. The wind cuts through your clothes like they're not even there. Snow pants will solve many of your problems. Your friends from up there might laugh at you---I don't care! All my pride disappears when it gets cold. Good luck! Personally, I wouldn't mind if I never see snow again.

My sister is in her first year of grad school at Temple and she lives in Rittenhouse Square and LOVES it (I've been to visit her a few times and love it too!) It's an easy walk to the Broad Street line, and it's just an ideal area to be in when she's not in class. Shops, parks, and restaurants everywhere, and at least in my Boston-area opinion, the rent is very reasonable (she lives alone in a large studio apartment). She would definitely agree that campus itself is safe, but I don't think she would want to live nearby and I don't think any of her classmates do/would either.

Yes, Rittenhouse is an awesome area. There are also neighborhoods within a 5-10 minute walk of that area that are just as neat and might have a slightly better proliferation of affordable housing.

I did the transition when I moved to Philly from Richmond, VA for college four years ago. When I decided to head Nawth, I didn't own a winter coat, hat, or shovel. YOU WILL NEED ALL THESE THINGS. It has snowed like you wouldn't believe in the last two years; if you're bringing a car, you should especially consider things like 4WD or snow tires, neither of which my car has. It's not going to be as much of an issue as if, say, you were in the mountains of Vermont or something, but I was completely incapacitated during the most recent snowstorm because my car simply couldn't handle it.

As far as clothes go, layering is the thing to master. That, and snow pants. My mom bought me snow pants, and they're the best thing I've ever owned. Philly is notorious for its wind tunnels because of all the buildings, so biking/walking to class in the winter can be absolutely hellish. The wind cuts through your clothes like they're not even there. Snow pants will solve many of your problems. Your friends from up there might laugh at you---I don't care! All my pride disappears when it gets cold. Good luck! Personally, I wouldn't mind if I never see snow again.

Excellent, thanks all for the ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be moving to Penn in the fall! But between living in California at the moment and going home for the summer (outside the US) I won't be able to visit the area whatsoever. Anyone have tips/suggestions? I'm especially nervous about apartment rentals, since I won't be meeting my potential roommates before move-in. For that matter, they won't be meeting me either so I'm nervous I won't get an apartment! I hate moving lol

hey all,

i currently live in Philly, i've lived here all my life, and i got my BA and MA here as well. i won't be keeping up with this thread since i'm not attending grad school here, but if you have any questions at all about Philly (housing, safety of neighborhoods, places to hang out, etc.) i'm happy to help. feel free to shoot me a pm and i'll do my best to give you good intel.

Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here, but I wanted to offer my congrats to everyone on their acceptances, and welcome to those of you who are going to be coming to Philly. Also wanted to throw out there that I'm looking for a roommate to share my two-bedroom house in the Bella Vista/Italian Market area. I've lived in this neighborhood for almost seven years and love it. It's the south part of Center City, so it's convenient to lots of good restaurants, shops, bars, etc. but quieter at night. The house is close to public transportation (1 block to bus, 10 minute walk to subway); I commute to Penn and find it an easy trip (I even walk some days); it's basically the same to Drexel and even easier to get to Temple, and Jefferson is just a short walk away. Rent would be $800 plus half utilities; the bedroom available is the larger one, 14'x15' and on its own floor. DM me if you're interested and I can tell you more. And good luck to everyone with your grad school adventures!

Hi everyone! I'm a two year resident of University City (more specifically, "Spruce Hill") and cannot speak highly enough of the neighborhood. I live at 43rd and Spruce, which puts me within a few blocks of two grocery stores, a pharmacy, Clark Park (which has a great farmer's market!) and numerous restaurants, as well as three bus lines, two trolley lines, and the El.

Philadelphia is nothing if not a block-by-block city, so for those looking in University City be aware that many apartments advertised as "UCity" on Craigslist might not necessarily be on desirable streets. Areas west of 46th or 47th Street, north of Market (or even Chestnut, further west) or South of Chester are generally regarded to be less safe. I think streets between Locust and Baltimore, and between 40th and 46th, are consistently good bets. Walnut and Chestnut are fine as well, but feel a bit less residential. I am less familiar with Powelton Village, which surrounds Drexel's campus and is to the north of UPenn, but have heard good things about this neighborhood as well.

Several of my friends in grad programs at Penn live in Center City and find it very convenient -- I know that the 2400 building, which is located at 24th and Chestnut, is a popular choice.

I'm more than happy to field any questions future Philadelphians might have -- fire away!

Hi all,

I have been in Philly since 2009 for law school...let me just say if you're from California, making the decision to move here should be made carefully. I moved here from the west coast and have felt extremely homesick! Don't get me wrong, this place is fun and cute and all, but I am dying to get back to CA. I have made a good group of friends here, but there is something about mixing weather, blue alcohol laws, driving manners, and stress that just has not settled well with me....

If I had to do it over again, I would stay closer to my home base. Law school is difficult and I could have really used family/friend support without having to worry about so many other things. I have also found myself feeling a bit ethnically isolated. Compared to southern CA, Philly is much less diverse...it never really crossed my mind because I was usually surrounded by people from so many backgrounds.

• 4 weeks later...

When did those of you who are in graduate school in Philadelphia first start looking at apartments in the area/sign a lease? I need to find a weekend to go up to Philly and look around for apartments for when I start at Temple in August. I'm hoping to find studios in Manayunk/Northern Liberties/Fairmount that aren't going to be outrageously expensive and will actually be available for August. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Question for anyone at all experienced with the University City area.

I need to find an apartment within walking distance (aka., within 20 min. walking) to Penn's campus. My program starts in the beginning of September and there is no possible way for me to apartment search, in person, until mid August because I live overseas. I've spent a lot of time and energy trying to apartment search online (via Craigslist, etc.) but it's been problematic to say the least. Not only is it worrying to commit to a place without ever touring it in person, but the logistics of calling people (time difference), filling out applications and paying for app. fees, not to mention a deposit are such a huge headache for the leasing agents that they tend to just give up on us. Either that, or someone else who is there in the flesh gets the apartment first.

On the other hand, I am worried that if we wait until we arrive in mid-August, there will be VERY slim pickings and there won't be any reasonable choices left.

So, my questions is, should I continue to try to make the long-distance arrangement work, or should I abandon it and just plan on finding our apartment when we get to Philly? What will the selection be like by that time? Any information anyone could give to help me out with this decision would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

So, my questions is, should I continue to try to make the long-distance arrangement work, or should I abandon it and just plan on finding our apartment when we get to Philly? What will the selection be like by that time? Any information anyone could give to help me out with this decision would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I will tell you what happened to me. I contacted my program and was able to find another incoming student who was extremely helpful and looked at apartments for me. It is indeed a bad idea to rent an unseen apartment because you may run into a scam.

What you can do is to contact your program and ask if they can help you somehow with your apartment hunting. They must understand your situation and may be somebody - who knows - will volunteer to help. Or may be other options will arise.

Anyway, the sooner you do it the better. It's better to grab an apartment now becaue by mid-August all good ones may be gone.

Sarmstrong, I was in the same position last year, though I was in Alaska as opposed to out of the country. Landlords are very, very hesitant to rent to someone who is not there in person. I spent a few months looking at listings and trying to follow up on things, but in the end I just got a hotel room for a week and made many, many calls. Though University City is in demand, I found there were plenty of apartments available in good locations for decent prices even a week before September 1st. I actually found my place within 2 days of getting there.

Make sure you check the off-campus housing office of UPenn; they seem to have a good variety of places.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be starting grad school at Penn this Fall, and have been apartment hunting. I'm presently abroad so I can't do this in person but I luckily have a friend in Philly who's been and will continue to check out apartments for me. Only trouble is that he's as new to the place as me! As of now there are a couple of places I"m considering and would really appreciate any advice. There are two high rises in Center City--Chancellor and Adelphia--which seem affordable. But, for the same price, I'm getting a lovely 1 bedroom apartment with a deck (and that's important to me because I smoke!) in the Fairmount area. Now I've read some not-so-nice things about that area but I've also read that the area where the apartment is (Corinthian Avenue) isn't too bad. The online consensus seems to be that the area just north of Girard is not safe...Corinthian Ave seems to be just south of it. I don't know enough about Philly to figure out whether that makes it a dangerous area too. Safety will really be a deciding factor for me, especially since I'm a woman who'll be living alone. I've tried finding stuff in the University City area but so far haven't chanced upon anything nice. I also don't fancy living in an area that's too full of undergrads. Center City *does* seem nice, but it's a bit on the pricey side...which I *can* manage but I'd rather not have to!

I'll be starting grad school at Penn this Fall, and have been apartment hunting. I'm presently abroad so I can't do this in person but I luckily have a friend in Philly who's been and will continue to check out apartments for me. Only trouble is that he's as new to the place as me! As of now there are a couple of places I"m considering and would really appreciate any advice. There are two high rises in Center City--Chancellor and Adelphia--which seem affordable. But, for the same price, I'm getting a lovely 1 bedroom apartment with a deck (and that's important to me because I smoke!) in the Fairmount area. Now I've read some not-so-nice things about that area but I've also read that the area where the apartment is (Corinthian Avenue) isn't too bad. The online consensus seems to be that the area just north of Girard is not safe...Corinthian Ave seems to be just south of it. I don't know enough about Philly to figure out whether that makes it a dangerous area too. Safety will really be a deciding factor for me, especially since I'm a woman who'll be living alone. I've tried finding stuff in the University City area but so far haven't chanced upon anything nice. I also don't fancy living in an area that's too full of undergrads. Center City *does* seem nice, but it's a bit on the pricey side...which I *can* manage but I'd rather not have to!

If the place on Corinthian is further south near Fairmount Ave, I'd probably go that route. I love that area, and ended up finding an apartment in the grad hospital area, but we looked at some places near that (19th and Wallace) and really liked that spot, just not the apartment :-P. Don't forget to check reviews on those high rises, if you choose to go the center city route.

Center City *does* seem nice, but it's a bit on the pricey side...which I *can* manage but I'd rather not have to!

I've been told that Fairmount is a decent area. Center city is better but Fairmount is OK as well.

Thanks Strangefox and michpc!

Here's a google map link to the exact place, in case that gives folks a better idea of which area I'm talking about (re safety)...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=719+corinthian+avenue,+philadelphia&hl=en&sll=40.713956,-95.712891&sspn=26.97687,55.634766&z=16

I'm also wondering--am I too early or too late to be apartment hunting for the Fall? I"ve seen some sites that say it isn't a good idea to search before July and others that say that most people are done searching by March! I really don't know if I should go for the first decent place I find or hold out in the hope of somewhere better say, in University City where the Penn shuttle goes...

I'm also wondering--am I too early or too late to be apartment hunting for the Fall? I"ve seen some sites that say it isn't a good idea to search before July and others that say that most people are done searching by March! I really don't know if I should go for the first decent place I find or hold out in the hope of somewhere better say, in University City where the Penn shuttle goes...

I think now is the right time to search. I have already found an apartment - around 3-4 weeks ago. And when I was still looking through my friend in Philadelphia, the realtor told her that the best apartments will be gone by September. Of course may be they just wanted me to pay the deposit asap :lol: But if you can search now, do it now, because you will be much more confortable if you already have a place when you arrive to Philly.

By the way, do you really want to live next door to a penitentiary? :huh:

I think now is the right time to search. I have already found an apartment - around 3-4 weeks ago. And when I was still looking through my friend in Philadelphia, the realtor told her that the best apartments will be gone by September. Of course may be they just wanted me to pay the deposit asap :lol: But if you can search now, do it now, because you will be much more confortable if you already have a place when you arrive to Philly.

By the way, do you really want to live next door to a penitentiary? :huh:

Hm. I guess I should hurry. If you don't mind my asking, how did you search? I also have a friend who's looking for apartments for me, and I've been using phillyapartmentco and craigslist. And the Penn Off Campus website although that's not too great.

The Eastern State Penitentiary is a National Historic Landmark! I believe it actually held Al Capone at one time. I would *not* like to live next to an actual penitentiary =) I believe they put up a great Halloween show, though, which sounds like fun. Senior year of college, my room overlooked a graveyard, I'm used to spooky places =)

Edited by AChaturvedi

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone taken any time to figure out Septa yet? Their website is a pain, but I hear there is some program like hotbus or something (an app for iphones) that helps out alot?

Sorry if this isn't what you were asking, but here's a basic/general overview of SEPTA, speaking as a former Philadelphian.

• SEPTA is comprised of regional rail service (trains that travel from/through Center City to outlying suburbs), tons of bus service (both in Center City and in some of the closest outlying areas), and two light rail systems (the "els," which are sometimes below ground).
  • The Broad Street el runs North/South along (you guessed it) Broad Street. The Market/Frankfurt line runs East/West, from Old City up through University City and into Frankfurt. Both els connect to the three Center City train stations.
  • There are three train stations downtown: Market Street, Suburban Station, and 30th Street Station.
  • SEPTA also can connect to PATCO, which is New Jersey's high-speed rail line. (PATCO is the only thing that's better about Jersey. ;) )

The train and bus schedules are a bit tricky to figure out at first on the website. The first challenge, of course, is figuring out which line you need--look at the map they have on the website to figure that out first. But yeah, the buses are confusing for everyone.