Philadelphia, PA

Guest penn

Sorry if this isn't what you were asking, but here's a basic/general overview of SEPTA, speaking as a former Philadelphian.

• SEPTA is comprised of regional rail service (trains that travel from/through Center City to outlying suburbs), tons of bus service (both in Center City and in some of the closest outlying areas), and two light rail systems (the "els," which are sometimes below ground).
  • The Broad Street el runs North/South along (you guessed it) Broad Street. The Market/Frankfurt line runs East/West, from Old City up through University City and into Frankfurt. Both els connect to the three Center City train stations.
  • There are three train stations downtown: Market Street, Suburban Station, and 30th Street Station.
  • SEPTA also can connect to PATCO, which is New Jersey's high-speed rail line. (PATCO is the only thing that's better about Jersey. ;) )

The train and bus schedules are a bit tricky to figure out at first on the website. The first challenge, of course, is figuring out which line you need--look at the map they have on the website to figure that out first. But yeah, the buses are confusing for everyone.

The rail system I've figured out, it was more the busses which are confusing. Where they go.. etc. The website seems totally unhelpful.

The rail system I've figured out, it was more the busses which are confusing. Where they go.. etc. The website seems totally unhelpful.

I've had the most luck using google's transit directions option. Most of the time, I ride the trolley.

I've had the most luck using google's transit directions option. Most of the time, I ride the trolley.

That's a good suggestion. Part of me doesn't like spending 2 dollars a ride... Too used to driving.

That's a good suggestion. Part of me doesn't like spending 2 dollars a ride... Too used to driving.

Tokens are a bit cheaper than paying cash to ride. You can buy them in el stations, or from any street news vendor who has the SEPTA logo on his cart.

Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to get spots in the parking lots along the commuter rail lines? Specifically Wayne, Radnor, Media or Elwyn? I'm trying to figure out my commute for the fall, and I've heard parking can be tough.Thanks!

Looking for suggestions:

Just moved into a rowhouse near UPenn, and I'm looking to find a housemate, preferably a grad student.

Curious as to how I can reach out to grad students/Phd candidates in need of housing?

Of course, there is always craigslist but that's kind of a shot in the dark.

Also, I know that the University's Office of Off-campus Services does maintain a list of available rentals, but it is geared more towards landlords/condo complex operators and I am neither of those things, so...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Looking for suggestions:

Just moved into a rowhouse near UPenn, and I'm looking to find a housemate, preferably a grad student.

Curious as to how I can reach out to grad students/Phd candidates in need of housing?

Of course, there is always craigslist but that's kind of a shot in the dark.

Also, I know that the University's Office of Off-campus Services does maintain a list of available rentals, but it is geared more towards landlords/condo complex operators and I am neither of those things, so...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

What about simply sticking paper ad-type notifications somewhere on campus? I am sure there are special boards there for these purposes.

Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to get spots in the parking lots along the commuter rail lines? Specifically Wayne, Radnor, Media or Elwyn? I'm trying to figure out my commute for the fall, and I've heard parking can be tough.Thanks!

During the week parking lots on regional rail fill up by 9am, earlier depending on location. (Later on Fridays and the summer when more people take off.) There may be some street parking near the station, but again, those spots fill up quickly during the week, so you may have to park a few blocks away if you get there later.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!!!

I'm applying to doctoral programs in the east (Philly, NY, Chicago, Miami). Right now I'm in southern california getting my master's. California's weather is pretty fantastic and many other things as well. But... I dislike how spread out this awesome city is, there is an art scene out here though it isn't as intense compared to say, Nyc. I'm not bashing LA (and i can imagine some will, lol) but I've decided to head east and Philly is my top choice (Chicago 2nd). I've been to New york a few times and love it (my friends are from there, and showed me how new yorkers do it). I love the city and especially love lower east side and brooklyn. however, being a future ph.d student, i don't see myself living there as as student (prefer a working professional life there). ANYWAY, this post is about PHILLY! =) I've done my research for a few years with Philly schools and now I want to know more about living in Philly. I'm applying to PCOM, Temple, Chestnut Hill, and UPenn for clinical psychology. My top choices are Temple and PCOM, so if anybody can spare their 2 cents about where to live, the social scene, typical things to do in the city, handling the weather, the music scene/concerts, and public transportation (I do not want to get a car out there)... anything pleaaaase! I love art, music, food ("i'm a foodie"), and parks. this might be a lame question to some, but i've never lived in cold weather (lived in cold germany for 3 months though) and was wondering if people tend to stay in during winter and not go out as much? i know i'll be getting my doctorate and i dont party or anything but i still need to balance my life w/occasional social activity. Based on my web readings I'd like to live in the downtown area (I dig a walkable city that's busy w/lots to do and lots going on) and Fitler Square, Rittenhouse, and Bella Vista caught my attention thus far (not sure how that public transportation commute would be from that area to Wynnefield). An admissions counselor mentioned Manayunk. I've read around about Philly (data info sites, blogs, newspapers) and I really like what the city offers! When I mention to people that I'm either moving to Chicago or Philly, I get remarks pointing me to Chicago, they say "Chicago is an amazing city!" Can anyone please share how amazing Philadelphia is? =)

thanks!

line in: center city, really any of it is fine, I live in the art house district and its a 5 minute walk to fitler square/rittenhouse area

typical things to do: go to drinkers, tons of food, south street, museums, go to shows, schoolwork, not buy beer and wine together (oops)

handling the weather: the weather isn't bad, but if you're from california... enjoy the winter

music scene: one of the best on the east coast. you're close enough to see shows not only in Philly but NJ, MD, and NY. In Philly itself there are over 4 small venues with bands each and every night (national bands), then there's a large amphitheater type venue, Camden (<20 minutes) has an amphitheater as well, NY clearly has plenty and is close enough, MD has a good amount as well and its within 2 hours. Once a year there's Bamboozle right across in NJ which is a 3 day festival. The names of the philly venues specifically are The Electric Factory, TLA, Trocodor, Croc Rock, and the First Unitarian Church (I'm serious).

Public Trans: We have a bus, a subway, and a trolly. The subway and trolly runs up and down the market street and branches out to suburbs. Busses are alittle better in terms of where they go (not up and down Market), but SEPTA's website blows, use google maps.

I wouldn't quite call Philly "busy" on non-peak hours. The streets can be mostly empty at night in center city, and frequently we go to try bars and they're empty. However, the non-empty bars are packed.

• 2 months later...

I am a junior pursuing a BA in sociology at a large university. I plan to apply to graduate schools, but I am considering taking a year off first. I have a few questions for the forum:

- Would it be a bad idea to apply to only one program next year? It would be my undergrad institution. I am a good fit for the program and I know the sociology faculty fairly well. A few of them will help with the process of writing my honors thesis.

- I've done a bit of research on schools that focus on race and other systems of inequality, but are there any programs that are well-known for their departments on these issues?

- Would having my thesis directly related to my potential research interests be helpful for my application?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may sound really provincial, but meh, don't care. I have lived in TX (Austin) for the past forever, so I am ignorant when it comes to actual urban living.

I have a dog. He has been with me for over a decade, and is the closest I will get to having a child. If this is annoys you, just stop reading here.

I am very seriously considering school in Philly, but I (in all truth and lameness) want to be sure that it is feasible to take him with me.

So the Q is: Is it unrealistic to find a suburby style place on a budget that allows a dog, and (hope upon hope) have a small yard for the big guy? I am willing to commute--but I have to be realistic about the cost.

Would love to hear from dog people.

EDIT: He would be indoors unless I am home to watch him outside. I am not one of those jerks that leaves dogs tied out all the time.

Thanks.

Edited by sunshine6

• 1 month later...

Is anyone familiar with Penn's graduate on-campus housing (Sansom Place)? How are the rooms and surrounding neighborhood? Do you recommend it?

This is anecdotal, and I'm sure someone will have firsthand advice, but one of my close friends lived there her first year of a PhD at Penn and wasn't impressed. She didn't think it was godawful, but definitely wasn't impressed and thought that for the money, you could do better in the neighborhood surrounding Penn. She ended up moving the next year (or actually, maybe after only a semester) to an apartment in Center City. When I was considering moving to Philly a few years ago to attend Penn, she wholeheartedly recommended that I live in Center City/Rittenhouse, or at least not in grad housing. That being said, I generally think that if you don't have time to check out the non-Penn housing options before you arrive, it might not be a bad idea. Oh, and I actually think the area around Penn is pretty nice...it doesn't have the big city feel of Center City, but it's certainly not a bad area and there are restaurants/coffee shops/shopping/pretty much everything you'd need. I'm a huge Philly fan :)

telemaque, thanks for the information. I will enter a nine-month master's program. So, I am curious as to whether on-campus grad housing best fits my needs. I would go the off-campus route, but my program is so short in duration.

Edited by michigan girl

• 2 weeks later...

What are good and safe areas to rent an apartment in Philadelphia with quick and easy public transportation to UPenn?

Also, do you know if it's harder to find an apartment in February than during the summer/fall?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm likely going to relocate to Philly to attend UPenn in June. I will be bringing 3 dogs and my wife will be a recent law school graduate looking for a job at a law firm. Does anybody have suggestions for property management realty companies that rent houses? Or would you suggest just going through an individual on craigslist?

We are just looking for a small house (2 bedrooms is fine) with a small backyard (like those found behind a row house). We will primarily be walking our dogs but would like to have a small backyard in a safe and affordable neighborhood. Does anybody have suggestions? I will be relocating from Texas and i've never been to Philly so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

I'll be attending Penn GSE this fall and was wondering if someone could help me locate good areas to live in around Penn. I'm not too keen on graduate housing and am on a tight budget. I don't mind sharing the place with another grad student. Also, I'm an international student and will be moving in from India.

Thanks!