Jump to content
SA13

Calling all Texas State and Lamar University graduate students!

Recommended Posts

Hello my fellow speechies,

So far, I have been accepted into Texas State university and Lamar university. I am dying to know what current grad students from each school think about their program! I know txstate is moving to round round (near Austin) which is perfect for location, but lamar's living expenses seem more reasonable. Undergraduates who have witnessed grad students in action is welcome as well!

I would like to know about the clinic-is the equipment up to date, how does it function, size, etc.. 

Stress level-let's be real, grad school is no walk in the park! But, I interviewed with SFA and their students are in love with it and aren't racked with anxiety. (plus their clinic is DOPE!)

The professors-how accessible are they? Are they enthusiastic, helpful?

Research opportunities- I know both schools have an emphasis on research, but lamar seems to offer more.

 

I also applies to UH(where I'm completing my undergrad-GO COOGS!) and SFA (had my interview-should hear back the week of March 19th)

Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did you get notified of TX state? You are the first one I see post about them. Also did your portal change or was it via email? I checked my portal and it still says it's ready for review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a speech-language pathology graduate student at Texas State, but I am a current graduate student there (M.A. Psychological Research). So I should be able to speak a bit on the cost of living in San Marcos, TX and what the vibe of the area is like for graduate students. Let me know if you have any questions in that realm.

As far as research opportunity goes, Texas State is really ramping up its research because it wants to be an R1. This means they are very giving towards their graduate students when it comes to funding research projects and going to conferences. I've easily been able to go to two out of state conferences a year with all my expenses covered. I'm not sure what Lamar offers, but I would say Texas State is definitely enthusiastic about research with graduate students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sunshine7890 said:

When did you get notified of TX state? You are the first one I see post about them. Also did your portal change or was it via email? I checked my portal and it still says it's ready for review.

Hey!

I got my acceptance email on March 8. I have yet to check my portal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I am not a speech-language pathology graduate student at Texas State, but I am a current graduate student there (M.A. Psychological Research). So I should be able to speak a bit on the cost of living in San Marcos, TX and what the vibe of the area is like for graduate students. Let me know if you have any questions in that realm.

As far as research opportunity goes, Texas State is really ramping up its research because it wants to be an R1. This means they are very giving towards their graduate students when it comes to funding research projects and going to conferences. I've easily been able to go to two out of state conferences a year with all my expenses covered. I'm not sure what Lamar offers, but I would say Texas State is definitely enthusiastic about research with graduate students.

That's good to hear about them wanting to be R1. I was hoping I would be offered a scholarship based on my merit, but to know avail. 

How expensive do you think round rock would be? I'm betting San Marcos will be cheaper, but  unfortunately they're moving their clinic out to round rock .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SA13 said:

That's good to hear about them wanting to be R1. I was hoping I would be offered a scholarship based on my merit, but to know avail. 

How expensive do you think round rock would be? I'm betting San Marcos will be cheaper, but  unfortunately they're moving their clinic out to round rock .

4

I actually lived very close to the Texas State Round Rock campus during my undergraduate years. I really liked the area, but it is very different than San Marcos. Round Rock is a very family friendly area with lots of restaurants. It is close enough to Austin that you still have quite a bit you can do. As far as expenses, I would say you could get a 1 bedroom apartment in both places for about the same price. I think I pay more in San Marcos because of the premium of living close to campus. Round Rock isn't a college town, and you won't get that premium. You also won't get anything in walking distance to campus (not that you would need to because there isn't much traffic in that area).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quant_Psych_2018 said:

I actually lived very close to the Texas State Round Rock campus during my undergraduate years. I really liked the area, but it is very different than San Marcos. Round Rock is a very family friendly area with lots of restaurants. It is close enough to Austin that you still have quite a bit you can do. As far as expenses, I would say you could get a 1 bedroom apartment in both places for about the same price. I think I pay more in San Marcos because of the premium of living close to campus. Round Rock isn't a college town, and you won't get that premium. You also won't get anything in walking distance to campus (not that you would need to because there isn't much traffic in that area).

Thank you so much for your insight! As I previously mentioned, I attend university of Houston and commute to school. I didn't really get the "college experience" which I'm kind of longing for. I'm guessing living in round rock won't give me that feel huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SA13 said:

Thank you so much for your insight! As I previously mentioned, I attend university of Houston and commute to school. I didn't really get the "college experience" which I'm kind of longing for. I'm guessing living in round rock won't give me that feel huh?

I live in NW Austin right now. Round Rock is definitely not a college town. I think there's plenty to do there, but it's not somewhere to go bar hopping. While it's more conservative and religious than Austin, it's starting to expand its art and craft beer scene. I'm from Houston and IMO Round Rock is more like the Clear Lake area than downtown. I think you could live in north Austin and commute if you wanted. Most programs have class a few days a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your input! I will keep that into consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.