Do people actually get off waitlists?

43 minutes ago, Mel.SLP.2018 said:

I got off the waitlist for UMASS on April 13th!! I did not email or contact them in anyway throughout the process. I was content with what I thought would be a soon rejection email after the 15th. I feel I wasn't worried because I was accepted by two other schools and was in the process of committing to one of those schools. However, when I received the phone call that they were admitting me I was so excited!! I pretty much told her I was likely accepting 95-99% so she said she would hold a spot. As of right now, I only received an email of my acceptance. I should be hearing back on Monday/Tuesday with an official acceptance letter from the grad school.

While I am kind of concerned/annoyed with how unofficial and last minute it was.. I am seriously just appreciative I got accepted. It is my top school, so I am PUMPED!

I wish everyone the best of luck on the waitlist!! All I can say, is make sure to have a plan B and make the best out of your situation! But, at the same time, don't give up hope!

Congrats! Did you tell them you were likely to accept in the initial notification or when you heard acceptance from the waitlist? (sorry if i misunderstood) cause I didn’t mention any of that in my email so I hope that doesn’t affect my chances of being accepted .. Although it’s a different school, do you think I should email them again about my interest? Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, slpgrad620 said:

Congrats! Did you tell them you were likely to accept in the initial notification or when you heard acceptance from the waitlist? (sorry if i misunderstood) cause I didn’t mention any of that in my email so I hope that doesn’t affect my chances of being accepted .. Although it’s a different school, do you think I should email them again about my interest? Thanks in advance 

So I applied there back in February and heard back at the beginning on March that I was waitlisted. I did not reply to that email at all. April 13th I received a phone call from the director asking if I was still interested in the program and I said yes.. She said something like if I was still interested & not committed anywhere else then she would recommend me to the graduate school for admittance... So, I believe she gave me the acceptance before I told her how likely I was to go there... because right after that then she asked me how likely I was to go there if they recommended me to the grad school, that's when I told her the 95-99%. Then I just confirmed with her again that this meant I was accepted into the program & she said yes. She was very wordy and not clear so I had to double check haha! but either way it was good news.

What did you email about? Were they asking if you were still interested in the program? or was it you emailing them about updates?

4 hours ago, Mel.SLP.2018 said:

So I applied there back in February and heard back at the beginning on March that I was waitlisted. I did not reply to that email at all. April 13th I received a phone call from the director asking if I was still interested in the program and I said yes.. She said something like if I was still interested & not committed anywhere else then she would recommend me to the graduate school for admittance... So, I believe she gave me the acceptance before I told her how likely I was to go there... because right after that then she asked me how likely I was to go there if they recommended me to the grad school, that's when I told her the 95-99%. Then I just confirmed with her again that this meant I was accepted into the program & she said yes. She was very wordy and not clear so I had to double check haha! but either way it was good news.

What did you email about? Were they asking if you were still interested in the program? or was it you emailing them about updates?

It was an email telling me that I was waitlisted and I were to reply saying whether I wanted to remain on the list or not and all I said was I wanted to remain on it so I was wondering whether if me saying how I feel like this school is a fit for me and I am 100% likely to attend if accepted then it would give a greater chance of being picked but idk .. maybe not cause they might just go by a rank or something. But I already emailed them the day I received my email (cause I’m desperate) and today was the last day to confirm my intent in remaining on the list so I don’t want to be annoying and write another email ..

16 hours ago, slpgrad620 said:

It was an email telling me that I was waitlisted and I were to reply saying whether I wanted to remain on the list or not and all I said was I wanted to remain on it so I was wondering whether if me saying how I feel like this school is a fit for me and I am 100% likely to attend if accepted then it would give a greater chance of being picked but idk .. maybe not cause they might just go by a rank or something. But I already emailed them the day I received my email (cause I’m desperate) and today was the last day to confirm my intent in remaining on the list so I don’t want to be annoying and write another email ..

Right, since you said yes you wanted to remain on the wait-list, I'm sure just right there shows interest. I don't feel another email would be necessary! My situation was a little different as she wasn't asking me if I wanted to remain on a wait-list. It was essentially her saying " hey your next on the list for us to call and offer admissions too, are you still interested." In my opinion, I think all grad schools have the list set up and ranked on who they are going to call. 

I didn't do this, but I read about people contacting schools to ask where they are on the wait-list, to see if they are high or not. It seems the grad schools were informative and nice about the questions. That definitely shows interest! But like you said, you don't want to annoy them and write another email. So, I guess its really up to you! 

In the end, the schools going to do what they want to do and unfortunately it's out of our hands :( So, I'm not sure how much emailing would actually help. This grad school stuff is stressful!

I just got ACCEPTED to one of my top 2 schools after being waitlisted there back in March! I honestly am in so much shock and so happy!! I hope this provides some hope to others because I seriously thought "oh that won't happen to me I would never get off of a waitlist" and I did! Sending so many thoughts and good vibes to everyone still waiting and wishing for the best for all of you in this position!

38 minutes ago, slpblonde15 said:

I just got ACCEPTED to one of my top 2 schools after being waitlisted there back in March! I honestly am in so much shock and so happy!! I hope this provides some hope to others because I seriously thought "oh that won't happen to me I would never get off of a waitlist" and I did! Sending so many thoughts and good vibes to everyone still waiting and wishing for the best for all of you in this position!

Congrats!! Where did you get accepted to?

Just got off my top choice (Hofstra) and beyond excited and grateful! I was ready to give up and look into jobs after seeing yesterday’s results page and not receiving a call but there is hope! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!

Edited by slpgrad620

So my letter said, seats may become available in June and July....? Does this mean they don't have an April 15th deadline?  Does anyone know when ENMU deadline to accept is? 

• 11 months later...

There's always a chance! I looked on the UNC FAQ page and it said that 30% of the students on their waitlist get off of it. Obviously it depends on the school and the year and everything, but have hope! I am trying to :)