Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Okay I'm jumping the gun a little, but I'm starting to narrow down my application list and wanted to connect with anyone who is planning on applying for fall 2019 matriculation! 

My focus is in Clinical or Counseling Psychology, with a primary research interest in eating disorders. The list thus far:

• Top choices: UNT (PhD Counseling), Rutgers (PsyD Clinical), Northeastern (PhD Counseling), Springfield (PsyD Counseling), Yeshiva (PsyD Clinical), LIU Brooklyn (PhD Clinical), Adelphi (PhD Clinical)
  • Mid-level choices: Xavier (PsyD Clinical), CCNY (PhD Clinical), Suffolk (PhD Clinical), IUP (PsyD Clinical), UHartford (PsyD Clinical), UIndy (PsyD Clinical), Fairleigh Dickinson (PhD Clinical), Drexel (PhD Clinical)
  • Safeties: KCUMB (PsyD Clinical - new program, not APA yet), Chestnut Hill College (PsyD Clinical), Immaculata (PsyD Clinical), PCOM (PsyD Clinical)
  • Reeeeeach: UNC-Chapel Hill (PhD Clinical), Emory (PhD Clinical), WashU (PhD Clinical), Univ of Kansas (PhD Clinical), Miami University of Ohio (PhD Clinical), UNC-Charlotte (PhD Clinical)

Still a long list, but I'm taking my time chipping away at it. I'm hoping to apply to ~15 programs and choose based on practicum experiences (I want at least 2-3 full years in community clinics) and research match.

What are y'all thinking? :)

I'm also getting a head start on application process! This will be my first time applying for a PhD.

I'm looking into social psychology programs in LA and NY areas

LA: UCLA, USC, UC Irvine
NY: The New School, NYU, Columbia ???, Rutgers in Newark

Still researching schools in other states, but hoping to keep the number I apply to around 6. 

Something that might set me apart, which is also my biggest concern, is that I have been working in user experience research and design since I graduated from my master's in human-centered design. So I have research experience technically, but it isn't the standard lab or field style research, since it's done at a corporate level. I hope that serves as a boost rather than a hindrance :/ 

Edited by stinkbug4ever

1 hour ago, stinkbug4ever said:

I'm also getting a head start on application process! This will be my first time applying for a PhD.

Still researching schools in other states, but hoping to keep the number I apply to around 6. 

Something that might set me apart, which is also my biggest concern, is that I have been working in user experience research and design since I graduated from my master's in human-centered design. So I have research experience technically, but it isn't the standard lab or field style research, since it's done at a corporate level. I hope that serves as a boost rather than a hindrance :/ 

While social psychology programs aren't as competitive as clinical, there is still a lot of stiff competition. LA and NYC are two of the most desirable locations (any city on the coasts falls into this category), which significantly increases competition. If you are able to be more geographically diverse, I would recommend doing so. I would also consider trying to find some volunteer experience in traditional lab settings if at all possible. Try reaching out to faculty in the nearest college who do research similar to your interests. 

I would say also look at the placement data to see the percentage of people getting APA approved sites to evaluate the school. I personally would not apply for any non-APA approved programs. Also the cost of the program. I think most PsyD programs are not funded (some of them do). The most important thing is still research interest match tho. It is important that you enjoy the area that your mentor is doing research at. 

I'm retrying in social psych - although this time around I"m also applying for business schools as I'm doing stuff that is highly related to behavioral economics. Last time around I wanted to become a cultural psychologist - but through my only interview (and through my thesis that was ongoing in the back) I realized I am far more interested in socio-ecology and inequality (especially in relation to trust, competition/cooperation, etc) research. So it wasn't a bad cycle - I learned more about myself and am back on the right path. Everything happens for a reason I'd say.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, stinkbug4ever said:

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure The New School only accepts students who are enrolled in their Master's program.

Hi all!  Glad there are other people out there already thinking about the application process.  Most of the other people in my program (I'm currently getting my MA in Child Development) are going straight into practice once we're done, so it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm interested in mostly clinical psychology programs, and my research interests lie in the area of pediatric psychology.

Some of the schools I'm looking at are:

• Auburn University
  • University of Florida
  • Oklahoma State University
  • UT Southwestern Medical Center
  • University of Texas at Austin (this is a school psychology program, because that's where their ped psych person is)

As you can see, I'm aiming to attend school in the South.  I currently live near Boston and I'm sick of the weather!  I'd love to return home to Texas, but I don't think I can afford to make my applications THAT narrow...

Looking forward to navigating this application season with y'all!

On 3/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, rosesandrecords said:

Hi all!  Glad there are other people out there already thinking about the application process.  Most of the other people in my program (I'm currently getting my MA in Child Development) are going straight into practice once we're done, so it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm interested in mostly clinical psychology programs, and my research interests lie in the area of pediatric psychology.

Some of the schools I'm looking at are:

• Auburn University
  • University of Florida
  • Oklahoma State University
  • UT Southwestern Medical Center
  • University of Texas at Austin (this is a school psychology program, because that's where their ped psych person is)

As you can see, I'm aiming to attend school in the South.  I currently live near Boston and I'm sick of the weather!  I'd love to return home to Texas, but I don't think I can afford to make my applications THAT narrow...

Looking forward to navigating this application season with y'all!

hey there, I interviewed and was accepted to Auburn, one big thing that was pretty crummy at AU was the lack of child placements and externships. If you're wanting to work in child psych, I would really think twice of applying there. In the group interview with students, there were a few students applying for the child track and every student there said that the program was "working on adding more clinical placements". Hopefully some food for thought. 

I ended up not accepting the program but it was really a lovely school and the program seemed very strong, just some exposure might be missed if you go there (it really is in the middle of no where Alabama).

Hi there - very glad you started this thread, I'm starting to narrow down my list right now as well. I am applying for clinical psych programs at age 28 after taking a 5 year break from psychology. I've been working in business analytics doing data analysis and strategy -  somewhat related but not helpful from a research publication stand point. I'm hoping all the research experience I have from my undergrad will help, plus I'm going to ask one of my old professors if I can volunteer with him again asap. If anyone has advice or knows someone who transitioned back into psych after working in another area, I would love to hear about it!

I'm in Canada so the focus for me will be programs here, but I am also applying in the US to a few reach schools in case I do somehow get in. Still narrowing that list down. 

• Canada: McGill, Concordia, Ryerson, York University, University of Ottawa, University of Guelph, University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Waterloo, University of Calgary,  U of T Scarborough, Western, University of Victoria
  • US: Boston University, University of Washington, University of Minnesota, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, Teacher's College at Columbia

Looking forward to have people to talk to about this whole process - everyone I know is already 5 years into their PhD or chose not to pursue grad school.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, stinkbug4ever said:

@stinkbug4ever I'm with you there! I've been working in business analytics for the last 5 years after doing my undergrad in psych, so lots of data analysis, research, etc. I do think having work experience will help set us apart in a positive way, but I am nervous about it as well. On the one hand I think it's a great indicator that we're committed to psych, as we are coming back after trying something else and leaving full-time careers to do it. I also think that work experience gives you some advantages in terms of problem solving, time management, learning independently, and so on. I personally feel much better prepared for a PhD now than I did 5 years ago. I haven't reached out to my former professors yet (plan to do so soon), but I am definitely curious to hear their take on how my experience will impact my admission chances. 

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Hi there - very glad you started this thread, I'm starting to narrow down my list right now as well. I am applying for clinical psych programs at age 28 after taking a 5 year break from psychology. I've been working in business analytics doing data analysis and strategy -  somewhat related but not helpful from a research publication stand point. I'm hoping all the research experience I have from my undergrad will help, plus I'm going to ask one of my old professors if I can volunteer with him again asap. If anyone has advice or knows someone who transitioned back into psych after working in another area, I would love to hear about it!

I'm in Canada so the focus for me will be programs here, but I am also applying in the US to a few reach schools in case I do somehow get in. Still narrowing that list down. 

• Canada: McGill, Concordia, Ryerson, York University, University of Ottawa, University of Guelph, University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Waterloo, University of Calgary,  U of T Scarborough, Western, University of Victoria
  • US: Boston University, University of Washington, University of Minnesota, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, Teacher's College at Columbia

Looking forward to have people to talk to about this whole process - everyone I know is already 5 years into their PhD or chose not to pursue grad school.

I’m from the USA and don’t know about Canadian schools. In order to be competitive for top schools in the US (eg BU and UCSD) you might want to consider finding a full time RA job in the area you are interested in psychology and get some recent hands-on research experience and (importantly) publications and presentations. I am not sure if you had any of those in your undergrad, but if you don’t have any you won’t honesty measure up against very competitive applicants who have 2-4+ years of experience as an RA and pubs/presentations. Without further explanation, I’m not sure how business analytics is related to clinical psychology, exactly...IO, yes. Clinical, no. What is your area of clinical psych interest? 

I hope this isn’t too blunt. I’m always honest on these forums so people don’t waste their time or money applying when they probably won’t be accepted. Some schools accept less than 2% of applicants, so you really want to make sure your application is solid before applying. 

27 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

I’m from the USA and don’t know about Canadian schools. In order to be competitive for top schools in the US (eg BU and UCSD) you might want to consider finding a full time RA job in the area you are interested in psychology and get some recent hands-on research experience and (importantly) publications and presentations. I am not sure if you had any of those in your undergrad, but if you don’t have any you won’t honesty measure up against very competitive applicants who have 2-4+ years of experience as an RA and pubs/presentations. Without further explanation, I’m not sure how business analytics is related to clinical psychology, exactly...IO, yes. Clinical, no. What is your area of clinical psych interest? 

I hope this isn’t too blunt. I’m always honest on these forums so people don’t waste their time or money applying when they probably won’t be accepted. Some schools accept less than 2% of applicants, so you really want to make sure your application is solid before applying. 

@Clinapp2017 Not too blunt, I appreciate the honesty, thank you - I'd rather find out now than after I apply. For more background, I have 1 journal publication and 2 conference presentations from my undergrad, plus an honors thesis and 2 independent research projects. Volunteered in 4 labs in my undergrad in my third and fourth year. Compared to my peers who got into schools in Canada at the time, that was competitive research experience. I haven't taken either GRE yet but on practice tests I've been getting 90th percentile or above for Verbal and 80s on Quant, plus 99th percentile on Psych Subject test - hoping that is enough to get past the initial pruning of applications.

I would say my job is related to psych research from a data analysis perspective - I use stats (SPSS, SAS) and programming (SQL) in much of my work. Other potentially relevant experience would be professional reports I've had published, survey design and analysis, strong presentation and communication skills from working with clients. I'm drawn towards applied research (e.g. CBT treatment design, efficacy, drop out rate) especially due to my work background - every piece of analysis I do has to be well supported with clear takeaways and action points. 

I have debated quitting my current job as Analytics Manager and taking an RA position; but looking at the job specs they seemed mostly clerical /administrative and I don't know that they would increase my research skill set too much in the next 8-9 months; certainly didn't seem like there would be much work on manuscripts or anything that could lead to a pub/presentation. Am I wrong on that? My other plan is to work 4 days a week at my current job and volunteer with my former prof at his Depression/Anxiety research clinic at a hospital on my day off. Would that help?

Also wondering if there would be an alternative "safety" plan to getting admission into a MA/PhD in Clinical Psych; like if I pursued a terminal research masters to get more experience on that side, I could apply to PhDs after that...

Sorry for the the novel! I really appreciate your feedback, I don't have many peers to discuss this with. 

18 hours ago, dougie said:

@Clinapp2017 Not too blunt, I appreciate the honesty, thank you - I'd rather find out now than after I apply. For more background, I have 1 journal publication and 2 conference presentations from my undergrad, plus an honors thesis and 2 independent research projects. Volunteered in 4 labs in my undergrad in my third and fourth year. Compared to my peers who got into schools in Canada at the time, that was competitive research experience. I haven't taken either GRE yet but on practice tests I've been getting 90th percentile or above for Verbal and 80s on Quant, plus 99th percentile on Psych Subject test - hoping that is enough to get past the initial pruning of applications.

I would say my job is related to psych research from a data analysis perspective - I use stats (SPSS, SAS) and programming (SQL) in much of my work. Other potentially relevant experience would be professional reports I've had published, survey design and analysis, strong presentation and communication skills from working with clients. I'm drawn towards applied research (e.g. CBT treatment design, efficacy, drop out rate) especially due to my work background - every piece of analysis I do has to be well supported with clear takeaways and action points. 

I have debated quitting my current job as Analytics Manager and taking an RA position; but looking at the job specs they seemed mostly clerical /administrative and I don't know that they would increase my research skill set too much in the next 8-9 months; certainly didn't seem like there would be much work on manuscripts or anything that could lead to a pub/presentation. Am I wrong on that? My other plan is to work 4 days a week at my current job and volunteer with my former prof at his Depression/Anxiety research clinic at a hospital on my day off. Would that help?

Also wondering if there would be an alternative "safety" plan to getting admission into a MA/PhD in Clinical Psych; like if I pursued a terminal research masters to get more experience on that side, I could apply to PhDs after that...

Sorry for the the novel! I really appreciate your feedback, I don't have many peers to discuss this with. 

That is quite a competitive undergrad experience - great to get pubs and presentations. Sounds like you'll probably be successful on the GRE when you take it. 

Your job does have technical skills for sure that will be transferable. I wonder if you could maybe sell that with your business background in a logical way, or if taking a year or two off for a full-time research job would be wiser. It really is difficult to say. You are right that being an RA for 8-9 months may not be beneficial - hence most people take a full 2 years to get a pub or two out of it.  Volunteering with your formal mentor sounds like a good idea to me, anyways, especially if it can somehow lead to another pub. 

I don't think pursuing MA has a lot of value unless you don't have a background in psych (which you do) or unless you have a terrible GPA. 

Hope this helps - feel free to PM and I can share more thoughts. I actually went straight into a very competitive clinical program in the US right after undergrad, FWIW. 

On 3/29/2018 at 3:31 PM, nycgrad14 said:

hey there, I interviewed and was accepted to Auburn, one big thing that was pretty crummy at AU was the lack of child placements and externships. If you're wanting to work in child psych, I would really think twice of applying there. In the group interview with students, there were a few students applying for the child track and every student there said that the program was "working on adding more clinical placements". Hopefully some food for thought. 

I ended up not accepting the program but it was really a lovely school and the program seemed very strong, just some exposure might be missed if you go there (it really is in the middle of no where Alabama).

Thanks for the info!  That's good to know going forward.  Everything I read on their website looked good, and there's a POI there whose research I find really exciting, but if there's not many clinical opportunities involving children I may rethink applying there.

I'm about to enter Yeshiva's PhD program and I do ED research! I applied to

Reach schools -

Temple, Drexel, Stony Brook, University of South Florida, Rutgers (PsyD)

Reasonable schools to get in to - 

Fairleigh Dickinson, Yeshiva, Long Island University (Brooklyn), CUNY, La Salle (PsyD), Chestnut Hill (PsyD), Pace (PsyD)

I got waitlisted at FDU, La Salle, and Chestnut Hill and accepted at Pace and Yeshiva. All are good programs to look into if you're interested in working with eating disorders!

Also as far as experience goes you sound pretty competitive. I applied right out of undergrad with 2 years of research experience and some good clinical volunteer and internship experience and didn't get in. Now I have a masters in general psych from a research focused program with 2 poster presentations, 5 doctoral level courses with an A or A- grade, 2 years in a graduate research lab, and 2 more years of clinical experience and I got into 2 programs and interviewed at 5. 

Edited by Jayne

Wahoo! Excited to see others are starting to plan for applying this fall! I'm looking at Counseling Psychology programs. I'm planning to apply to:

• Auburn
  • Northern Az
  • Central Arkansas
  • U of Kentucky
  • U of Nebraska
  • Texas Tech (reeeeeeeach school)

Worried about : Quantitative GRE score (retaking in June after doing some online prep programs), low undergard GPA, limited research experience

Not worried about : Experience working in the mental health field, LORs, and my verbal & writing GRE scores.

Planning to apply to four or five masters programs too since doctorates are so competitive and my research experience is lacking! Primary research interests are resiliency & protective factors, personal growth initiative, and how religion effects seeking mental health treatment.

This is my second application cycle, last was Counseling Psych 2017. I'm in a Clinical Psych Master's program and will be doing a combo of Counseling and Clinical Psych programs, with a few research PhD's. 

• University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Clinical Psych (dream program)
  • UTSW Clinical Psychology (another dream but not ideal funding)
  • TAMU Counseling Psychology(re-apply)
  • University of South Alabama Clinical/Counseling (safety)
  • SMU Clinical Health(reach)
  • Texas Tech Counseling Psych
  • University of Texas at Arlington Health Psychology
  • Ohio State IDD Psychology

This is my first time applying to Clinical, so I'm nervous! I will have a Psych Master's but non-psych undergrad. Retaking the GRE and getting absolutely as much research experience as I can.

I'm still searching for more Counseling programs, and considering a few research PhD programs as well.

This is my first time applying to social psych phd. I have not narrowed down my list of schools yet but I would love to connect with those of you also applying to social psych.

I graduated last May with some light research experience (a minor role in a lab and some brief independent study)- no pubs or conferences. I've been looking for some full time research positions but have had a hard time finding anything (despite living in a university town).

With minor research experience, am I better off waiting to apply to Clinical PhD programs until I have some more impressive qualifications? I have a good undergrad GPA and majored in Psych. 

Program of Interest: PhD Cognitive Neuroscience/ Social and Affective Neuroscience

Schools I'm Applying to: Chicago, Princeton, Boston, NYU, Stanford, Ohio, UCLA and Williams and Mary's, Villanova, and Chicago for a back up terminal masters

Worried About: lack of publications. I'm trying to get research jobs, which are few and far between at this level.

Not Worried About:  2 years research experience as a project manager and research assistant in two neuroscience labs. Helped teach psychophysiology as an undergrad for teaching experience. 2 Great letters of rec. 3.7 gpa from a tier 1.

I applied to very competitive programs last year, knowing that I could not leave my fiance for anything less than an amazing opportunity (Harvard). Now, I am studying to raise my GRE score and find paid research gigs to boost my CV. I volunteered in a great lab with a shaky PI who hasn't published in a while. I gained a lot of technical skills, but have nothing to show for my 2 years of work. So, now I am stuck trying to optimize my approach any advice would be lovely.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, MayorBobbledoodery said:

I graduated last May with some light research experience (a minor role in a lab and some brief independent study)- no pubs or conferences. I've been looking for some full time research positions but have had a hard time finding anything (despite living in a university town).

With minor research experience, am I better off waiting to apply to Clinical PhD programs until I have some more impressive qualifications? I have a good undergrad GPA and majored in Psych. 

I suggest you hold off applying for PhD programs until you have more research experience under your belt.

Woohoo! applying to psychology phd programs in the fall, at the sake of my sanity, confidence, self worth.... My current list of schools consists of:

definitely applying to: USCD, BU, NYU, Princeton, Brown, UC Berkeley

maybe applying to: U of Wisconsin, Harvard, MIT

As for what information I may provide to programs so that they hopefully deem me worthy(of at least an interview?); 2 years undergraduate research, 3 years post-grad at a university. My technical skills are the bomb, I think, but how would they know that? They wont. *cries*. 3.6 GPA, GRE: 170Q, 164V, and a 5 on the writing score. 1 second author publication (but not at all in a high impact journal), 2 second author publications currently in review at much better journals. 2 poster presentations at conferences. Although TBH, I've always been very border of the line about if I think conference presentations are worth much for graduate school applications.

I believe, well I hope I can get strong letters of recommendation, writing my SOP will be a struggle but one worth going through I suppose(I had better suppose).

20 hours ago, kierkegoth said:

Program of Interest: PhD Cognitive Neuroscience/ Social and Affective Neuroscience

Schools I'm Applying to: Chicago, Princeton, Boston, NYU, Stanford, Ohio, UCLA and Williams and Mary's, Vilanova, and Chicago for a back up terminal masters

hmm, a first look at my competition *glares*. I kid, of course, best of luck!

On 4/9/2018 at 12:50 AM, abnumber5 said:

This is my second application cycle, last was Counseling Psych 2017. I'm in a Clinical Psych Master's program and will be doing a combo of Counseling and Clinical Psych programs, with a few research PhD's. 

• University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Clinical Psych (dream program)
  • UTSW Clinical Psychology (another dream but not ideal funding)
  • TAMU Counseling Psychology(re-apply)
  • University of South Alabama Clinical/Counseling (safety)
  • SMU Clinical Health(reach)
  • Texas Tech Counseling Psych
  • University of Texas at Arlington Health Psychology
  • Ohio State IDD Psychology

This is my first time applying to Clinical, so I'm nervous! I will have a Psych Master's but non-psych undergrad. Retaking the GRE and getting absolutely as much research experience as I can.

I'm still searching for more Counseling programs, and considering a few research PhD programs as well.

I noticed that you plan to apply to UAB's Medical Clinical Psychology program as your top choice, and I'm actually a 2nd year in that program right now! I'm doing research in chronic pain & health disparities with my mentors there. If you want to reach out for any information or advice about the program, feel free to PM me ^_^

On 4/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, JoePianist said:

I noticed that you plan to apply to UAB's Medical Clinical Psychology program as your top choice, and I'm actually a 2nd year in that program right now! I'm doing research in chronic pain & health disparities with my mentors there. If you want to reach out for any information or advice about the program, feel free to PM me ^_^

Ahh that's awesome! I am sure I will PM come closer to application time!