Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, aokanlawon said:

I had a quick question for you all.

Are you using APA standard double space and 12 point font size for your personal statements?

One of the schools I'm applying to specifically stated that it should APA format including a running head..maybe extreme, but I'm doing that for all of mine since that one school required it...

9 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

My personal statement is two pages single spaced. I don't understand why it would need a running head.

Put ur name on there - if they for some reason have 10 applicants spilled out on a table, it's easy to see what stuff belonged together again..

13 hours ago, aokanlawon said:

I had a quick question for you all.

Are you using APA standard double space and 12 point font size for your personal statements?

I did not last year and had no issues. Only use a specific format if they mention it.

33 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

Put ur name on there - if they for some reason have 10 applicants spilled out on a table, it's easy to see what stuff belonged together again..

I see...well, too late for the application I already submitted. It wasn't explicitly in the instructions though so I guess it's all right. 

has anyone applied for grant funding previous to submitting their grad school application? how did you weave this into your SOP? 
i just applied to the NSF grant and although my research proposal is aligned with what i want to study in grad school, im not sure how to bring that up without sounding out of place in my SOP...wondering if anyone else is in the same boat...

51 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

@pgt2018 I didn’t mention it. Some apps explicitly ask. You could also indicate on your CV that you’ve applied. 

wouldn't it help you that you did apply though? i asked around about including it on my CV and was advised against it (since i won't know whether or not i'll get it before admission decision)

@pgt2018 I don't have it on my CV because my aim was to keep it as concise as possible. Two people who were applying last year for Cog Neuro (and got into very good programs) had it on their CVs. Something along the lines of "Applied for NSF GRFP Oct., 2018 decisions to be announced in April, 2019" The SOP doesn't seem to be the place to mention it unless it is very related to work you are currently doing. For instance, "I am investigating how X is represented in the brain. I presented these finds at X conference and submitted an NSF GRFP on a closely related topic." 

On whether it would help you: I don't know maybe, but do you really think that having applied to the NSF will make a difference between getting an interview or not? Highly doubtful. You could even just mention it in an interview. 

Long story short, I don't think it matters what you decide. 

Hello!

I’m planning on applying to PhD programs in Social and Health Psychology. I am worried about my GRE score which is 154V (65%) 158Q (68%) 5AW (92%). I have a lot of research experience and am conducting my own independent research project right now. I am planning on applying straight from a top 25 undergrad to Northwestern, Tufts, NYU, Fordham, Berkeley and UCLA. Am I being too ambitious? 

Edited by Bd2018

On 10/31/2018 at 12:59 AM, sassyyetclassy said:

does anyone want to exchange comments on SOPs over email? my first deadlines are in two weeks and I am worried if my SOPs are up to par or not...

PM

13 hours ago, pgt2018 said:

has anyone applied for grant funding previous to submitting their grad school application? how did you weave this into your SOP? 
i just applied to the NSF grant and although my research proposal is aligned with what i want to study in grad school, im not sure how to bring that up without sounding out of place in my SOP...wondering if anyone else is in the same boat...

Would not put it in SOP - because it will sound out of place. Rather put it on your CV if you really want to mention it. Agree with @sendmeadvice on this.

1 hour ago, Bd2018 said:

Hello!

I’m planning on applying to PhD programs in Social and Health Psychology. I am worried about my GRE score which is 154V (65%) 158Q (68%) 5AW (92%). I have a lot of research experience and am conducting my own independent research project right now. I am planning on applying straight from a top 25 undergrad to Northwestern, Tufts, NYU, Fordham, Berkeley and UCLA. Am I being too ambitious? 

I think your GRE scores are just above the unofficial cutoff point (310), but if you're in a very strong applicant pool they may indeed hurt you. If you have tons of research experience however and a great GPA you may be able to compensate. Not sure what's too ambitious. I'd only apply to schools you'd really want to be going.

Ola psychology applicants and lurkers, I'm applying to 20 schools. I was shut out last year, applying to 8.  All clinical psych except for one counseling program.  Anyone else? 

also, how much of a social life are you maintaining during this process? I'm working full-time and finding myself to be a hermit getting all of these done. Transcript submitted, GREs linked, recs all in and personal statement done, but needs to be tailored for each school...

Just now, AryasList said:

Ola psychology applicants and lurkers, I'm applying to 20 schools. I was shut out last year, applying to 8.  All clinical psych except for one counseling program.  Anyone else? 

also, how much of a social life are you maintaining during this process? I'm working full-time and finding myself to be a hermit getting all of these done. Transcript submitted, GREs linked, recs all in and personal statement done, but needs to be tailored for each school...

20 schools??? I have decided that I will only be applying to 6 or 7. I wish you luck. 

As for my social life, it's been all right. I'm in my last year of undergrad and applications honestly just feel like another assignment to juggle. I have been working through the weekends a lot recently though.

4 minutes ago, AryasList said:

gotcha, and thank you! Super curious if we will hear anything prior to Dec 31 about interviews...

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Bd2018 said:

Hello!

NYU is gonna be really tough unless you have some great research, strong letters, and a high GPA to balance your GRE. Not sure about the other schools.

16 hours ago, AryasList said:

gotcha, and thank you! Super curious if we will hear anything prior to Dec 31 about interviews...

would not count on it and just treat it as a nice surprise if so. I got mine mid Feb :')

16 hours ago, AryasList said:

if you dig deep enough there's a link somewhere that a data science guy did up on all the schools, when they sent out interviews etc. last yr I helped start out what became a spreadsheet on which schools were done with invites by when as well. but you might to go further than anyone else has been in a while hahah

3 hours ago, loffire said:

if you dig deep enough there's a link somewhere that a data science guy did up on all the schools, when they sent out interviews etc. last yr I helped start out what became a spreadsheet on which schools were done with invites by when as well. but you might to go further than anyone else has been in a while hahah

How have I never heard of this?? Where is this spreadsheet?

On 11/1/2018 at 11:52 PM, AryasList said:

I'm applying to 11 schools, and my social life is definitely suffering when you add in working fulltime and doing some volunteer lab work. I'm pretty much at the same point as you...working on all the individualized essays and edits for each schools. I can't imagine trying to apply to 20, good for you for maximizing your chances!! Good luck and here's to our social lives returning next month haha!

https://cudcp.wildapricot.org

This is the website for the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology. They have a calendar with all the dates that clinical psych programs send out interview offers, the dates of the interviews, and acceptances. It hasn't been updated for this cycle yet, but the link to the 2017-2018 calendar is in the middle of the page.