Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, lilly24 said:

When is acceptable to email programs to check on your application status (I have seen many rejections from these schools, but also interviews/acceptances)?

It's probably okay to inquire about application status. I emailed a few schools (deadlines were early to mid Dec.) to ask about the status of my application, but only got generic replies (paraphrasing: "applications are currently under review and you will be notified when a decision is made"). I'm sure the informativeness of the response varies, though. 

Good luck! 

Edited for grammar

Edited by nboehm

17 hours ago, nboehm said:

It's probably okay to inquire about application status. I emailed a few schools (deadlines were early to mid Dec.) to ask about the status of my application, but only got generic replies (paraphrasing: "applications are currently under review and you will be notified when a decision is made"). I'm sure the informativeness of the response varies, though. 

Good luck! 

Edited for grammar

Ugh same with me. I was hoping to get a little more than that. At least that was my experience with emailing admissions directly. I got a better response when reaching out to a specific person for one of the programs.

Edited by TheEternalGrad

18 hours ago, lilly24 said:

When is acceptable to email programs to check on your application status (I have seen many rejections from these schools, but also interviews/acceptances)?

Whenever at this point. Just call them.

28 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

So I, thus far, have gotten two rejections (Drexel and Duke) and have five more schools that I haven't heard a single thing from. Is there any chance I'm getting in anywhere at this point?? My hopes are pretty low by now.

By "haven't heard a single thing from", do you mean post-interview? Did you interview anywhere? Very rare to get offers if you didn't interview, unfortunately. (Not impossible, but at schools on par with Drexel and Duke if you didn't interview you ain't getting in...)

14 hours ago, Keyz said:

I'm guessing your acceptance was for dev?

It's actually in Educational Psychology in Human Development. The professor's research really maps onto my interests.

Edited by brighteyes

I emailed UC Irvine about a month ago to ask what was going on with apps - just got a reply this morning; "interviews occurred in mind-January but final decisions will be released closer to the end of March. Any communication about admission will be through email."

So.... Do what you will with that! I have no idea :)

It is still better than emailing the admissions committee and they are like "...our application process is not yet complete but I regret to inform you that you will not be part of the SMALL GROUP that will be chosen...". At that point I was like "so why didn't you just send the rejection letter..." of course they're waiting for March...the logic is stupid