Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Thanks, HK, for the link.

I think that this year's calendar can be found on CDUCP's other website, Getting into Clinical Psych Grad School. Here's a link to it: https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

I'm guessing this is correct, although that's assuming that this calendar has been manually updated for this year and is not just automatically repeating the same dates from last year.

Hello. 

If anyone would like an update for me, I have finished two applications and the statement of purpose for a third school. I current have my SoP for my last school with a December 1st deadline pulled up on my computer, but my brain is too tired to work on it. 

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Hello. 

If anyone would like an update for me, I have finished two applications and the statement of purpose for a third school. I current have my SoP for my last school with a December 1st deadline pulled up on my computer, but my brain is too tired to work on it. 

take a break - you still have time. Fresh perspectives do wonders

Hello everyone, a quick question:

Some of the UCs require a Personal History-to state the diversity and how you've made through the underrepresented situation. However, I have a very plain life. I lived in my country (though not US) for my whole life, my parents paid for my school and I always get very good education. If there is something to mention, I took a gap year before going to University (as I didn't get into the best University in the country the first time) and I tried to work in the labs of America during the holiday to get better research training. Or maybe striving to be excel among those talented peers has always been stressful. But still, those experience are not surprising. I'm just curious what words should someone like me put in the personal history? Appreciate any thoughts from your guys!

10 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Hello everyone, a quick question:

Some of the UCs require a Personal History-to state the diversity and how you've made through the underrepresented situation. However, I have a very plain life. I lived in my country (though not US) for my whole life, my parents paid for my school and I always get very good education. If there is something to mention, I took a gap year before going to University (as I didn't get into the best University in the country the first time) and I tried to work in the labs of America during the holiday to get better research training. Or maybe striving to be excel among those talented peers has always been stressful. But still, those experience are not surprising. I'm just curious what words should someone like me put in the personal history? Appreciate any thoughts from your guys!

diversity is not about sad sob stories. Rather, it's about what different/novel perspectives you can add. So you could discuss how you different cultural background may provide different perspectives on psychology (i.e., cultural psych has been a big and very informative field for years now), etc. It could be unusual training in an area (e.g., my master's was highly focused on interdisciplinary perspectives from economy, biology, etc. so I got a widerange of exposure that for sure influences how I think about psychology).

don't go for sad stories, go for something that could explain how you may have a different angle/perspective from others. Maybe specifci cultural pressures, etc.

Hi guys, 

I have been following this thread and others and trying to catch up to everything that has been said. 

I have a Bachelors in Social work (2011) and have a masters in Psychology (conversion). Switched to Psychology to study how to provide counselling/support to  women who have experienced traumatic events. As an International student, American programs appeal to me because of the scientist-practitioner model. I enjoy research (not the grueling annoying parts but finding beautiful things during data analysis) as much as clinical experience.  

Programs of Interest: Clinical/Counselling Psychology (M.A/Ph.d/PsyD.)

Research Interests: Trauma, PTSD, coping in African cultures, Violence against women, CBT, DBT

School List (M.A): LIU, Towson, University of Houston Victoria

School List (Good chances):  Laverne (PsyD), LIU Post (PsyD) Love this program, University of Tulsa Oklahoma (Ph.d), University of Tennessee (Ph.d), Case Western University (Ph.d), University of Memphis (Ph.d), SIU (Ph.d) - Still considering

School List (Reeeeaaach): University of Nevada, Reno (Ph.d) - Still considering, University of Missouri St. Louis (Ph.d), University of Houston (Ph.d), Northern Illinois University (Ph.d) - a fave

Things I'm Not Worried About: 

Nothing

Things I'm Worried About: 

Everything.

My GPA for undergrad wasn't that great. It's above a 3.0 but not by very much. My GPA for postgrad is 3.5 with a distinction in my dissertation.

I'm worried schools won't want an International Social Work undergrad who doesn't have a 3.8 and above GPA (I do have 2 disserations).

My GRE scores need Jesus. Really... they do. I have 150Q(39%), 159V (82%), 4.5AW(82%). I've written the GRE twice now so I know more study isn't my problem, I'm just terrible at timed math. I never managed to finish the quants both times. However, I've never scored below an A- in all stats courses and have excellent SPSS skills (pats back). 

I haven't had much clinical research/clinical experience. I've written 2 individual disseratation, one of which is being edited for publishing, and have had one 6 month clinical research internship. That's all. Most of my work experience has been in public health, although I have spent much time collating and analysing data as a Monitoring and Evaluation personnel.

Finally, I'm scared. About everything. It's my first time, I've done so much research, whittled down a lot of things and I don't know if it's good enough. There just seems to be a lot of 'buts' involved. Can any current Ph.d Student relate? What did you do present yourself better even when your grades appears average at best?

P.S: Can anyone help me look through my SOP and provide a review? I created 2 SOPs: one for Ph.d (a bit focused on my research capacities), one for PsyD./Counselling Psych and Masters (More integrated. Merges experience and research). Anyone you can help with is fine.

- Christabel

On 11/4/2018 at 11:01 PM, Psygeek said:

diversity is not about sad sob stories. Rather, it's about what different/novel perspectives you can add. So you could discuss how you different cultural background may provide different perspectives on psychology (i.e., cultural psych has been a big and very informative field for years now), etc. It could be unusual training in an area (e.g., my master's was highly focused on interdisciplinary perspectives from economy, biology, etc. so I got a widerange of exposure that for sure influences how I think about psychology).

don't go for sad stories, go for something that could explain how you may have a different angle/perspective from others. Maybe specifci cultural pressures, etc.

Thanks! Your advice is quite helpful!

I just submitted my first application, but there are still 13 to be done. In addition, I have a senior thesis to defend next week and 15 credits this semester. I'm just too tired at this moment. 

6 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

I just submitted my first application, but there are still 13 to be done. In addition, I have a senior thesis to defend next week and 15 credits this semester. I'm just too tired at this moment. 

Give yourself some rest and self-care. It is a long-haul, but you got this!

On 11/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, Psygeek said:

This is quite helpful

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who is willing to take a look at my draft SOP? I am also very happy to take a look at yours in return. This is my first cycle applying for a clinical psych phd and I am extremely appreciative for someone who doesn't know me personally to take a look at it (I feel like sometimes my friends/family/colleagues are too familiar with me to offer true constructive feedback). 

Feel free to reply here or PM me 

On 11/5/2018 at 7:50 AM, Oluwachristabel said:

Hi guys, 

I have been following this thread and others and trying to catch up to everything that has been said. 

I have a Bachelors in Social work (2011) and have a masters in Psychology (conversion). Switched to Psychology to study how to provide counselling/support to  women who have experienced traumatic events. As an International student, American programs appeal to me because of the scientist-practitioner model. I enjoy research (not the grueling annoying parts but finding beautiful things during data analysis) as much as clinical experience.  

Research Interests: Trauma, PTSD, coping in African cultures, Violence against women, CBT, DBT

School List (Good chances):  Laverne (PsyD), LIU Post (PsyD) Love this program, University of Tulsa Oklahoma (Ph.d), University of Tennessee (Ph.d), Case Western University (Ph.d), University of Memphis (Ph.d), SIU (Ph.d) - Still considering

School List (Reeeeaaach): University of Nevada, Reno (Ph.d) - Still considering, University of Missouri St Loius (Ph.d), University of Houston (Ph.d), Northern Illinois University (Ph.d) - a fave

Nothing

Everything.

My GPA for undergrad wasn't that great. It's above a 3.0 but not by very much. My GPA for postgrad is 3.5 with a distinction in my dissertation.

I'm worried schools won't want an International Social Work undergrad who doesn't have a 3.8 and above GPA (I do have 2 disserations).

My GRE scores need Jesus. Really... they do. I have 150Q(39%), 159V (82%), 4.5AW(82%). I've written the GRE twice now so I know more study isn't my problem, I'm just terrible at timed math. I never managed to finish the quants both times. However, I've never scored below an A- in all stats courses and have excellent SPSS skills (pats back). 

I haven't had much clinical research/clinical experience. I've written 2 individual disseratation, one of which is being edited for publishing, and have had one 6 month clinical research internship. That's all. Most of my work experience has been in public health, although I have spent much time collating and analysing data as a Monitoring and Evaluation personnel.

Finally, I'm scared. About everything. It's my first time, I've done so much research, whittled down a lot of things and I don't know if it's good enough. There just seems to be a lot of 'buts' involved. Can any current Ph.d Student relate? What did you do present yourself better even when your grades appears average at best?

P.S: Can anyone help me look through my SOP and provide a review? I created 2 SOPs: one for Ph.d (a bit focused on my research capacities), one for PsyD./Counselling Psych and Masters (More integrated. Merges experience and research). Anyone you can help with is fine.

- Christabel

Hi Christabel I'm in the same boat as you--- not so stellar undergrad GPA and so/so quant GRE scores. I am so so happy to take a look at your SOP. Please PM it to me. If it helps at all, I've looked through some of the old forum posts and noticed that GPA is not everything. Some people with lower GPAs got into programs and some with higher GPAs did not. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on research fit! I think we just need to try our best and put our best foot forward, and hope that programs and POIs see something special in us that transcends raw numbers. 

1 hour ago, presentfancies said:

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who is willing to take a look at my draft SOP? I am also very happy to take a look at yours in return. This is my first cycle applying for a clinical psych phd and I am extremely appreciative for someone who doesn't know me personally to take a look at it (I feel like sometimes my friends/family/colleagues are too familiar with me to offer true constructive feedback). 

Feel free to reply here or PM me 

sure!

1 hour ago, presentfancies said:

Hi Christabel I'm in the same boat as you--- not so stellar undergrad GPA and so/so quant GRE scores. I am so so happy to take a look at your SOP. Please PM it to me. If it helps at all, I've looked through some of the old forum posts and noticed that GPA is not everything. Some people with lower GPAs got into programs and some with higher GPAs did not. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on research fit! I think we just need to try our best and put our best foot forward, and hope that programs and POIs see something special in us that transcends raw numbers. 

Oh My Geeeeeee. Thank you so much! I'll PM it over as soon as I've finalised it. You don't know how much I appreciate this. We can exchange SOPs.

Edited by Oluwachristabel

On 11/5/2018 at 7:50 AM, Oluwachristabel said:

Hi guys, 

School List (Reeeeaaach): University of Nevada, Reno (Ph.d) - Still considering, University of Missouri St Loius (Ph.d), University of Houston (Ph.d), Northern Illinois University (Ph.d) - a fave

Nothing

Everything.

- Christabel

I feel you! My GRE scores weren't stellar either, I scored very well on practice tests I took while studying, but when it came to the real test, I panicked! Combined with personal things going on at the time, my quant score took a rather large hit! Like you, I'm fairly confident that I can handle graduate level statistics; I've gotten no less than a 93% in any math course I've taken and I received As in both statistics courses in undergrad, but I am concerned my application doesn't show this ability. 

Also like you, I'm lacking in professional research experience. I'm a recent grad and spent three years entrenched in research in undergrad, but I don't have any scientific publications to my name.  I'm hoping my GPA (3.97/4.0) and letters of rec save me where these areas may fall short. 

As far as SOPs go, I'd be willing to exchange with you and provide a review if you'd like! You and I are both interested in Trauma and PTSD and we're actually applying to two of the same schools, the University of Houston (Ph. D.) and Northern Illinois University (Ph. D.)!

- Katie B 

15 hours ago, Katie B said:

I feel you! My GRE scores weren't stellar either, I scored very well on practice tests I took while studying, but when it came to the real test, I panicked! Combined with personal things going on at the time, my quant score took a rather large hit! Like you, I'm fairly confident that I can handle graduate level statistics; I've gotten no less than a 93% in any math course I've taken and I received As in both statistics courses in undergrad, but I am concerned my application doesn't show this ability. 

Also like you, I'm lacking in professional research experience. I'm a recent grad and spent three years entrenched in research in undergrad, but I don't have any scientific publications to my name.  I'm hoping my GPA (3.97/4.0) and letters of rec save me where these areas may fall short. 

As far as SOPs go, I'd be willing to exchange with you and provide a review if you'd like! You and I are both interested in Trauma and PTSD and we're actually applying to two of the same schools, the University of Houston (Ph. D.) and Northern Illinois University (Ph. D.)!

- Katie B 

Yay! This helps a bit. Maybe put your SOP on google docs and put it up in this chat so folks can add comments as well? If you're not comfy with that, PM me yours and I'll send mines as soon as it's finalised.

Hi there!

I am new to gradcafe so apologies if there are errors with this posting.  I'm applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs for the first time and am super nervous about realistically being admitted to the programs I am applying to (a total of six).  Would love to hear thoughts or experiences from anyone who is currently or had previously applied to the following schools:

Drexel University

Temple University

John Jay at CUNY (

Fordham University

George Mason University

Montclair State University

Thanks in advance! Also I would love to do a SoP exchange for feedback/comments with anyone else applying to these schools, and especially to the faculty studying forensic psychology, antisocial behavior, and disadvantaged populations. 

Hi all!  Let me introduce myself quickly:

-Graduated in the Spring w my BA in psych and gender studies (3.85 GPA)

-Completed and defended thesis before graduation and sending out updated version of that manuscript for publication any day. Second/middle author on two other manuscripts that are in prep but not likely to be sent out in a timely manner for applications.

-First author on one poster that was presented at national conference, won/placed at university undergraduate poster forum two years, second author on 3 other posters presented/accepted to national conferences

-Applied to 7 programs last year, staying very close to my relatively niche research interests. Got 2 interviews and no offers (one PoI ended up taking nobody and the other went with another applicant and when I asked for feedback she said it was a "flip of a coin" and gave no other constructive feedback :/). This round I am expanding the number of programs that I am applying to as well as my research horizons, applying to some related areas. This has gotten me to a list of 19 schools, which I will likely pare down slightly before Dec 1: UC Boulder, VCU, Rochester, Miami (FL), Iowa, Syracuse, Washington, Kansas, GWU, Michigan State, Texas, UT Southwestern, Purdue, Pitt, Nebraska, NW Feinberg, Stony Brook, UNC Chapel Hill, and UBC. 

GRE Question:

-I took the GRE originally a year ago and got Q:159 (72%)  V:161 (88%) AW: 4.5 (82%) . Quite honestly, I was happy with this, but a mentor encouraged me to retake it. I did so earlier this month and got Q: 157 (65%) V:167 (98%) AW:5.0 (92%). Now I'm at a loss of what to send to schools that do not superscore. Is it better to have solidly average scores in both categories or very high in verbal and low-average in quant (based on my most competitive schools from the above list)? I've gotten advice on both sides ?

10 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Yay! This helps a bit. Maybe put your SOP on google docs and put it up in this chat so folks can add comments as well? If you're not comfy with that, PM me yours and I'll send mines as soon as it's finalised.

Can you add me to this google doc too, I'm in the same boat and I''m also interested in PTSD/trauma