Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

49 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Update on Wake Forest: They said they should be sending out decisions later this week.

I'm really hoping for this because I just totally bombed an interview (though it wasn't my fault, so I don't feel too bad about it).

did you interview with them? I got an email scheduling a time to chat on the phone with them 

18 minutes ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

did you interview with them? I got an email scheduling a time to chat on the phone with them 

Damn no I didn't (the bombed interview was a different place). When did you hear from them? (Also, well there goes that. I'm guessing they would have mentioned the interview if I got one when I emailed them).

9 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Damn no I didn't (the bombed interview was a different place). When did you hear from them? (Also, well there goes that. I'm guessing they would have mentioned the interview if I got one when I emailed them).

I heard from them end of last week. It didn't sound like an interview invite tho, the person simply mentioned we would talk about the program, my goals and current opportunities, and the status of decision-making progress (it sounded very vague)

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

Alright guys... how long do we wait to get off the waitlist? I'm interviewing for a really awesome back up plan job but am also waitlisted for my dream program. I let the job know I could tell them if I was going to accept by the end of March.

PS if someone is holding an A&M counseling psych offer and isn't planning on accepting please let it  go ?

54 minutes ago, LethalIntent024 said:

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

It's hard not to freak about this kind of thing, right? Sending positivity your way. :) 

Did you interview with them?  If so, here's what I would think about this all.  Either: (1) Your POI is still decision making, and they haven't sent out an offer yet.  Different faculty make decisions at different times, so the offers you saw could have been for different POIs.  (2) Your POI has sent out an offer to their first choice applicant and you're waitlisted. 

I wouldn't jump to rejection yet!!      

13 minutes ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

Alright guys... how long do we wait to get off the waitlist? I'm interviewing for a really awesome back up plan job but am also waitlisted for my dream program. I let the job know I could tell them if I was going to accept by the end of March.

PS if someone is holding an A&M counseling psych offer and isn't planning on accepting please let it  go ?

You’re not required to commit to a school until April 15th, so you could be waiting until after that date depending on your place on the list and when those offered admission decide.

1 hour ago, LethalIntent024 said:

Did you interview? If not, I would say it’s not looking good. (Sorry!) Usually clinical psych programs interview prospective before they offer admission. If you did interview, it’s possible that the department rolls out admissions, like maybe each POI contacts their students, or they are working on funding before everyone gets a formal offer. The person who posted could have a fellowship or outside funding that means they could be admitted without extra work. Or you could be waitlisted. Good luck, I hope you get some good news soon!

1 hour ago, LethalIntent024 said:

I got accepted to a program on 2/21 and my friend got accepted to the same program on 2/27 because they were different PI's. I don't know how Florida does it but it isn't unheard of for PI's to do it on their own terms. Assuming you interviewed, I wouldn't consider yourself rejected at this point. 

I applied to UNCG's clinical psych phd program but assumedly was rejected after not hearing anything back. I just received an email stating "Upon review of your application, the UNCG Psychology Department requests you change your degree from Doctoral to the MA (Doctoral Track) option. If you would like to have this changed, please fill out this form....."

Does this mean they are considering me for a masters there instead? Seemingly vague message and this is my first time applying to places so I'm not sure if this is standard! 

28 minutes ago, colo19 said:

I applied to UNCG's clinical psych phd program but assumedly was rejected after not hearing anything back. I just received an email stating "Upon review of your application, the UNCG Psychology Department requests you change your degree from Doctoral to the MA (Doctoral Track) option. If you would like to have this changed, please fill out this form....."

Does this mean they are considering me for a masters there instead? Seemingly vague message and this is my first time applying to places so I'm not sure if this is standard! 

I think they’re saying that if you want to do the master’s, you can. This is pretty standard in some fields where they offer applicants the option for (usually) unfunded master’s programs. Although I would definitely look into it if you’re interested, because I have seen people get offers like this that turn out to be funded.

at least am 100% sure offers haven’t been sent out for penn yet 

(in case someone searches for this info a year from now like i did this year, wanna note that around 30+ people were interviewed across two dates, 16-20 offers are likely to be sent out, and 8-10 are considered likely to matriculate; clinical and non-clinical peeps are interviewed in the same “group”)

1 hour ago, colo19 said:

I received this email as well. I asked the person who sent it what masters program they were referring to, because a masters doesn’t exist in clinical psych and there is not doctoral track in their only masters program. He said it’s for students who are admissible to the PhD program, but don’t have their master’s yet. He said that you go directly into the doctoral program after the masters is complete. In other words, referring to the non-terminal masters that you pick up along the way to a PhD.

I think this may be good news, in which case I will be an incredibly happy person!!!

1 hour ago, ItsExistential said:

I received this email as well. I asked the person who sent it what masters program they were referring to, because a masters doesn’t exist in clinical psych and there is not doctoral track in their only masters program. He said it’s for students who are admissible to the PhD program, but don’t have their master’s yet. He said that you go directly into the doctoral program after the masters is complete. In other words, referring to the non-terminal masters that you pick up along the way to a PhD.

I think this may be good news, in which case I will be an incredibly happy person!!!

Wow--that would be great if that's the case. Either way, I responded back updating my form! Fingers crossed for us & anyone else! 

32 minutes ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I have been on the waitlist for one program for about a month. Some people are advising that I should politely ask the POI for an update. Any advice on how to do this without seeming pushy? This would be for my top choice ?

Oh man, I feel this. I contacted my POI a month ago and she said they had not made all offers yet, but still haven't heard anything since. Do I reach out again? I'm assuming its a rejection, but it's my top choice. 

36 minutes ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I have been on the waitlist for one program for about a month. Some people are advising that I should politely ask the POI for an update. Any advice on how to do this without seeming pushy? This would be for my top choice ?

I personally wouldn’t this early.  The POI isn’t going to forget to tell you if you do get accepted and the person ahead of you does have until 4/15.  I’ve been on 3 waiting lists in past years and I feel like I was told immediately (within a day or so) of when they knew I wouldn’t get in.  Maybe if you haven’t heard anything by EOM?  Side note: if you haven’t done a “where am I on the list?” email, that’s an option, depending how the waitlist was offered (I know some give info up front).  It sucks.  It’s a waiting game for everyone, schools and students alike.  ?

5 hours ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

Maybe check if they have an accepted students day or something? This could potentially slow down the waitlist? 

I am visiting a program (next weekend) that I was offered admission to earlier on that I had only Skyped interviewed at. After this I’ll be making my decision.

Perhaps others are doing the same?

5 hours ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I just had my last interview on March 1st, but was offered admission to another school about a month ago. With that being said, the March 1st interview said it would be two weeks 'till they send out admissions so, I am waiting on that before I make any decisions. Im sure others are in the same boat. I think it's too soon to email the POI. 

A lot of people are still waiting for decisions from other schools and even still doing interviews. So from here at least it makes sense that people on waiting lists aren't getting many updates atm. As April edges nearer though...

Edited by paraent

12 hours ago, Doc2016 said:

I personally wouldn’t this early.  The POI isn’t going to forget to tell you if you do get accepted and the person ahead of you does have until 4/15.  I’ve been on 3 waiting lists in past years and I feel like I was told immediately (within a day or so) of when they knew I wouldn’t get in.  Maybe if you haven’t heard anything by EOM?  Side note: if you haven’t done a “where am I on the list?” email, that’s an option, depending how the waitlist was offered (I know some give info up front).  It sucks.  It’s a waiting game for everyone, schools and students alike.  ?

Honestly this makes a lot of sense. I wasn't going to email until I started getting advise that maybe I should. I will just wait it out though, I think. I just more wanted to express that I was still interested and hadn't accepted an offer elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

Honestly this makes a lot of sense. I wasn't going to email until I started getting advise that maybe I should. I will just wait it out though, I think. I just more wanted to express that I was still interested and hadn't accepted an offer elsewhere.

This is completely unrelated (although I agree with others who have said to wait a bit longer before reaching out), but is your username at all related to the show The 3%

13 hours ago, Doc2016 said:

I asked this question early on (if there are many folks ahead of me on the waitlist) and did not receive a specific answer. Is it safe to assume this means I'm at the bottom of the waitlist? Granted, the reply I received was a general sentence or two that didn't specifically answer either of the two questions I asked (my ranking on the waitlist + whether it'd be unproductive to apply next cycle since my research interests/application have already been evaluated) and simply stated that it was very common for at least a few folks to receive offers off the waitlist. But what does it mean?!?   

I'm at the point of just re-reading things over and over trying to glean any clues as to my fate... 

People have until April 15th to accept or decline offers, so you may not hear until after that. Some schools have a general waitlist. Others may have waitlists for specific POIs, which would make it harder for you to be ranked on the list. What it means is exactly what it means: people often get off the waitlist. They most likely have a boiler plate response to try to reduce the amount of "reading into it" that prospective students do by not giving much meat there to perseverate over.

If they put you on the waitlist, then it stands to reason that they saw some potential in you. Therefore, it should be fine for you to reapply. However, if you do reapply, you should try to do something to improve your CV in that time (get more research experience, present a poster at a conference, etc.).