Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

49 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

I have submitted the applications for 8 of my 10 schools. I have also reached out to all the PIs for the submitted applications to tell them that I have submitted. Then I have 2 more grant applications to submit. I am really hoping to be done with everything by Thanksgiving. 

Do you think it's necessary to let potential advisors know that you've submitted an application? @sendmeadvice

Edited by Bd2018

1 hour ago, Bd2018 said:

Do you think it's necessary to let potential advisors know that you've submitted an application? @sendmeadvice

Similar to @psychtobeme I thought that it would be nice to let them know that I had decided to apply there after talking to them. For a few of the PIs, it has been a couple months since we have spoken, so I wanted to reach back out and remind them to expect my application. I think for a lot of places it won't make a difference when they get to see my application. For instance, one of the PIs I emailed explicitly told me that a committee will review applications in early January and that the faculty will decide who to invite for an interview in late January to early February. 

13 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Can I add you guys to a wee chat so we can exchange SOPs? Or should we just post it on here so folks can benefit from it?

Maybe that would be best and people won't get bogged on here. Other can be added if they wanted to be.

13 hours ago, psychtobeme said:

Same! Do you mind sharing the initials of who you selected as a proposed mentor?

McRae and tenBrinke

8 hours ago, psychtobeme said:

I'm applying to 11!

Applying to 11 as well! 10 US 1 CA

10 hours ago, Bd2018 said:

Did anyone apply to Stanford?

I did as well. Though I think it's a super reach school, I wanna do affective neuro so applied to their affective track

23 hours ago, honeyrue said:

Hi there! Though I am not super familiar with school psych PhD preferences in particular, I'd say definitely try to gain some research experience in the next year or two. While a paid research experience would be preferable for your quality of life, you could also reach out to professors at universities with similar interests to yours and seeing if they need any volunteer RAs. Sometimes professors will allow non-students to enter their labs if the individual is highly motivated and has academic goals for the future. For your interests specifically, maybe look into volunteering/applying at some children's research centers? Utilize your experiences as a teacher's aide and mentor to show them your strengths in working with kiddos! 

Thank you for the advice! 

Hi there!

I'm new to gradcafe and am applying to clinical psych for the fall. I'm kinda worried about my application though, cus according to some of the admission statistics my GRE and GPA are on the lower side. My GPA is 3.53 overall, 3.69 in my psych major 3.49 in my neuro major, and I've taken the GRE twice, the first I got 159V, 153Q, 5AW the second I got 156V, 156Q, 5.5AW. I am planning to submit both, but I don't know how competitive I am in clinical psych PhD programs with those scores. I'm applying to these programs and I think they fall in the following categories of my chances:

Long shots: University of Minnesota, University of Washington, University of Oregon, University of Houston, Washington University in St. Louis

Somewhere in the middle: Florida State, University of Utah, Wayne State, Virginia Tech

Better chance: University of Wyoming, University of Tulsa, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Eastern Michigan, Nebraska-Lincoln

I don't know if this was answered earlier in the forum but does anyone know if they take the highest score from each section? Also would love to hear people's thoughts on my school list. I'm feeling suuuper behind and would love any advice available. Thanks!

Depends on the school tbh. They usually indicate if they'll take the most recent. Some schools accept several and look at them as a whole. clinical progs are prob the most competitive. But if you've got ample clinical and research experience, found advisors with a good fit and have a solid SOP, I think you'll be alright :) Luck!

6 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Hey guys,

I have a question abot CVs and sample work

Is there a preferred CV format? Or number of pages or something? 

Can we submit work we've already submitted to a journal or a university assessment?

Thanks,

Christabel

For the CV - no certain format, just don't use annoying fonts. Also, really consider what you have on there. Nothing makes my mentor more mad then when people have things from high school on their CV (exception being national merit or if you actually cured cancer at your prom or something). 

For the submitted works, I submitted a sample that was currently under review at a journal and just made sure that it was clear to my prospective mentors that the manuscript was under review. What do you mean by a university assessment, like a test? 

On 11/9/2018 at 9:07 AM, Gaya3C said:

Hi there!

I am new to gradcafe so apologies if there are errors with this posting.  I'm applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs for the first time and am super nervous about realistically being admitted to the programs I am applying to (a total of six).  Would love to hear thoughts or experiences from anyone who is currently or had previously applied to the following schools:

Drexel University

Temple University

John Jay at CUNY (

Fordham University

George Mason University

Montclair State University

Thanks in advance! Also I would love to do a SoP exchange for feedback/comments with anyone else applying to these schools, and especially to the faculty studying forensic psychology, antisocial behavior, and disadvantaged populations. 

Hi there - I'm currently in Montclair's master's program (not in forensics though) & I'm also applying to their PhD program! I was wondering who you were indicating as your PI?

42 minutes ago, Gaya3C said:

@psychmajor2394 Hi there!  Oh wow very cool - how are you liking it so far?  My research interests match well with those of Dr. King and Dr. Zottoli.  Are you hoping to work with either of them too? 

I'm interested in neurodevelopmental disorders (specifically autism) so I'm currently in the child/adolescent concentration for the masters program. However, I work with Dr. Zottoli in her lab on a specific cognitive neuroscience study in adolescents & I really love working with her! Since I'm not interested in forensics I'm indicating faculty that specialize in autism

Edited by psychmajor2394

2 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

For the CV - no certain format, just don't use annoying fonts. Also, really consider what you have on there. Nothing makes my mentor more mad then when people have things from high school on their CV (exception being national merit or if you actually cured cancer at your prom or something). 

For the submitted works, I submitted a sample that was currently under review at a journal and just made sure that it was clear to my prospective mentors that the manuscript was under review. What do you mean by a university assessment, like a test? 

Thank You!

For my masters, we wrote several 1,500 and 2,000 word essays as assesments for our courses instead of writing tests and exams. I'm thinking of submitting one of those as my sample work. What do you think?

@Oluwachristabel I think that submitting a first-author manuscript is the best option. I don't have one that is complete, so I have decided to submit a four page paper that I wrote for a conference which was requested instead of an abstract. I talked to someone who is grad school, and she said that she sent her NSF GRFP project proposal. I would submit something for a course as a last alternative. 

Edited by sendmeadvice

2 hours ago, sendmeadvice said:

@Oluwachristabel I think that submitting a first-author manuscript is the best option. I don't have one that is complete, so I have decided to submit a four page paper that I wrote for a conference which was requested instead of an abstract. I talked to someone who is grad school, and she said that she sent her NSF GRFP project proposal. I would submit something for a course as a last alternative. 

Hmmmn. I have a first author manuscript I've sent to a journal. I think I'll submit that. I just worry about it's length.

Thank you for your help tho