Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

6 hours ago, Kylar said:

Is it useful to send something that's already published and publicly available?

I did! And depending on length you can always send a portion of it. I sent in a report I had done that was basically thesis in length (like 70) pages. So I just sent the literature review with a cover page that said something along the lines of "this is an excerpt from a larger body of work, for the full report please see blank blank blank" and put a citation to follow.

On the topic of submitting writing samples, how disadvantageous is it to submit things that aren't quite related to your research interest?

I have two first-author publications, reporting on psychiatric and cognitive changes in prodromal dementia. Neither relate to my interest (forensics) but I would still like to submit one of these published works, since I have no publications or writing samples relating to forensics.  Has anyone been in a similar position?

7 hours ago, Gaya3C said:

On the topic of submitting writing samples, how disadvantageous is it to submit things that aren't quite related to your research interest?

I have two first-author publications, reporting on psychiatric and cognitive changes in prodromal dementia. Neither relate to my interest (forensics) but I would still like to submit one of these published works, since I have no publications or writing samples relating to forensics.  Has anyone been in a similar position?

I just skyped with one of my recommenders about this. He mentioned that the writing sample is more to get a sense of your writing capabilites and how you structure your arguments. Best would be if you had a piece of academic writing in the field youre applying to, but it shouldn't stop you from sending any writing that you think was interesting to you and showcases your abilities well

On 11/11/2018 at 7:34 PM, honeyrue said:

Hi, all! Super late to the game and definitely should be working on my actual applications right now instead of posting here but... ?‍♀️ Ya'll are intimidating with all of your great applications! I am currently applying for clinical PhD programs (with the exceptions of one general psychology PhD program and one clinical PsyD program - both have PIs who fit my interests pretty well, though), with a focus on child trauma/maltreatment/early adversity.

Applying to: BU, Emory, Harvard, LSU, UC Berkley, UCF, Hartford, UMASS Boston, Memphis, UMKC, Chapel Hill, UNCG, Notre Dame, UPenn, Knoxville, UT Austin, and Vanderbilt (phew - what a list!)

Dat school list though ?! We'll be gunning for the same person at Harvard (98% sure). You sound like an awesome applicant, best of luck. :)

10 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

I submitted another app today... hopefully two more tomorrow. 

I have one more to turn in tomorrow, and one with a january due date I'll turn in in a few weeks. Now I just want to hear from schools (hopefully)!

Soooooo, I'm doing this thing again.  You'll notice my name is Doc2016... not so much.  I'm very back and forth about how I will do, some days I am positive I will get 3-4 offers, and other days sure I won't even get any interviews.  This is round 3 for me (previously lacking really solid research), and likely my last.  I was accepted to 1 Psy.D. program and waitlisted on 3 Ph.D.programs in those 2 years.  I turned down the Psy.D. because I decided a Ph.D. was more appropriate for my career goals.  

I've been working for over a year full time at NYU School of Medicine as a research coordinator on a federally-funded randomized control trial with target of 500 participants...  so it's a lot, and I am literally the only person managing the study, 6 interns, and 2 full-time non-research staff.  I am really hoping this experience will get me (at least closer) to the top of the stack.  Also have over 1000 clinical hours from my master's program - I originally planned to just be a master's level clinician.  Most of my schools are in NYC, and not all funded (ugh!), but my husband has a great job here.  We could move, but he likely won't find a comparable position, and the closest he'd get would have to be in a city (as opposed to a college town), hence the choices.  My interest is schizophrenia and serious mental illness.  I am applying to:

John Jay (#1), Fordham, Hofstra, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. John's, Yeshiva / Ferkauf, Adelphi, LIU Brooklyn

Indiana U - Purdue U. Indianapolis, U. Illinois Chicago, U. MD Baltimore County, U. MD College Park (reach), Temple (reach)

Not really sure why I am posting except to flush out some of the emotions that come with this process.  Wishing luck, and sanity, to everyone!  

Edited by Doc2016
correction

is it better to wait or submit early? 

i know that editing one/two sentences here and there in my SOPs is not going to change anything but i have a problem of "letting go".

Edited by pgt2018

Programs most likely won't look at your application until after the deadline. The answer really all depends on you. Personally, when I applied last year, I couldn't wait to submit everything and get that off my plate. Others may feel differently. As long as everything is submitted by the due date, it's all personal preference.

Also, good luck you guys! As someone who was in your shoes last year, I completely understand the anxiety, especially because now I'm anxiously working on applications for practicum sites lol (the applications never end in clinical). 

You guys got this!

Hi all!

I only just discovered GradCafe; looks like I’m a little late to the party!

I am applying to 14 Clinical Psychology programs (13 PhD, 1 Masters in Canada) that have specializations in pediatric and/or child psychology. Specifically, I am applying to programs with faculty researching chronic pain and/or chronic illnesses.

In no particular order, the schools I am applying to are: University of Florida, Loyola University Chicago, Boston University, University of Alabama Birmingham, DePaul University, Drexel University, University of Cincinnati, Ohio University, Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Mississippi, University of Nebraska, Oklahoma State University, University of Maryland Baltimore County, and University of Calgary (Masters).

My GRE scores are definitely lower than I would like (152Q, 159V, 4.5AW) but I am hoping that my letters of recommendation, GPA (3.82), personal statement, research experience, and fit will outweigh my GRE scores. I have been working part-time in a pediatric chronic pain psychology research lab at a top-tier academic medical center for the past year-and-a-half through an NIH-funded grant/scholarship and am about to finish my undergraduate honors thesis through this same lab (Presenting next week!). I am second author on 1 manuscript (currently undergoing review), 2 abstracts, and first author on 2 abstracts and 3 poster presentations (one to be presented in Spring).

I have one application submitted, and the rest I just need to finalize documents for!

I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.

11 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Excited about all the things that are gonna happen in the next year.. and already a bit stressed about my housing situation :')

What's up with your housing sich? Feel free to PM me, I think we are both applying social!

54 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

What's up with your housing sich? Feel free to PM me, I think we are both applying social!

I'm transferring, but my lease here ends late May. So no clue what I'm doing over summer and where I'd be :') Gonna try to get my PI to give me some RA money over summer so I can move earlier to where he is now.