Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

I'm just so nervous.. when will the university informs of interviews? 

My GPA and GRE scores are just too low (specifically Verb and AW for GRE).

Don't have high hopes.. but will be very sad and dissapointed if I didn't get into any of the programs after all of the hard work :(

12 minutes ago, Whoops0000 said:

Don't have high hopes.. but will be very sad and dissapointed if I didn't get into any of the programs after all of the hard work :(

All schools/programs have their own time tables for admission seasons, and they can vary from year-to-year, even in the same school. But typically, early-to-mid January is when interviews start being extended (some schools may do slightly earlier, if their deadlines were earlier). These invites can roll out until end of Feb/early March. We've got a long wait ahead of us! 

3 hours ago, buckeyepsych said:

I guess I appreciate the follow-ups, but all of the reminder emails about "incomplete applications" due to letters not being in yet are not helping my anxiety! 

I relate to this so much!! I check my apps like, twice a day to make sure I am not missing even a single GRE score (I'm not missing anything except one LoR... and yet, I still double, triple, quadruple check).

Edited by honeyrue

20 minutes ago, Whoops0000 said:

Mirroring @honeyrue's comments, it's extremely variable between universities. Some tell you really early, and a small minority of others don't even interview. Hold tight and good luck!!

4 minutes ago, honeyrue said:

I relate to this so much!! I check my apps like, twice a day to make sure I am not missing even a single GRE score (I'm not missing anything except one LoR... and yet, I still double, triple, quadruple check).

I'm STILL missing a GRE score and it is stressing me out, even though the school says not to worry.

22 minutes ago, Whoops0000 said:

Is this your first time applying? I have read (extensively) that in order to make up for a low GPA, you need good-stellar GREs, and a good explanation in your SOP. Most programs will forgive a low GRE score in one area if the GPA good-stellar. You cannot however expect to get accepted with low GPA and low GRE scores. The pool of applicants is simply too competitive.

What matters most however is the fit... Is your research background strong? Are your writers creating stellar letters? Do you have years under your belt demonstrating meaningful research productivity? I've read this is what sets you apart from other applicants :)

3 minutes ago, socpsy said:

I'm STILL missing a GRE score and it is stressing me out, even though the school says not to worry.

Yes!! Don't stress ~ I was missing a GRE score during my last application season, due to doing a re-take a bit later in the season, and still received interviews. It'll all work out!

Hey guys, 

Im new here but already thinking positive! Submitted one app on Tuesday, next one due Saturday and the third dec 15. I read that suny buffalo sometimes has a phone interview and then campus invite. Where can we find info on the interview content? Id love to know more already- even though I havent finished submitting apps. Good luck all!

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

Is this your first time applying? I have read (extensively) that in order to make up for a low GPA, you need good-stellar GREs, and a good explanation in your SOP. Most programs will forgive a low GRE score in one area if the GPA good-stellar. You cannot however expect to get accepted with low GPA and low GRE scores. The pool of applicants is simply too competitive.

What matters most however is the fit... Is your research background strong? Are your writers creating stellar letters? Do you have years under your belt demonstrating meaningful research productivity? I've read this is what sets you apart from other applicants :)

Yes! First time applying. My GPA 3.56, GRE 144/158/3.0 (my verbal and AW just can't make it although I tried retaking the test). Have really low confidence due to the GREs. Applying to some of the clinical and some of the psych-neuroscience programs.  

Research - quite a number of research assistant experiences in undergraduate (working with longitudinal data, clinical tests and assessments...), worked a year full time as research coordinator (doing a lot of data analyses, publications and helping in grant writing) and a part time lab technician position in rodent model.

1 in press publication, 3rd author (in a high impact factor journal, 7.26), 3 of submitted manuscript, 2nd and 3rd author (in review), and 2 first author manuscript in progress.

I guess that's all... still being nervous oh well... ?

For those of you who are applying while still in undergrad: anyone else submitting a bunch of Dec 1st deadline applications in the middle of dead week (e.g. the week before finals)? 

All but one of my 12 apps are due on the 1st and I’ve been trying to balance submitting all of them, 3 final papers, and trying to practice for presenting my honors thesis all this week. Definitely adds to the stress levels, that’s for sure! ?

Edited by SoldierOn

10 minutes ago, Whoops0000 said:

Yes! First time applying. My GPA 3.56, GRE 144/158/3.0 (my verbal and AW just can't make it although I tried retaking the test). Have really low confidence due to the GREs. Applying to some of the clinical and some of the psych-neuroscience programs.  

Research - quite a number of research assistant experiences in undergraduate (working with longitudinal data, clinical tests and assessments...), worked a year full time as research coordinator (doing a lot of data analyses, publications and helping in grant writing) and a part time lab technician position in rodent model.

1 in press publication, 3rd author (in a high impact factor journal, 7.26), 3 of submitted manuscript, 2nd and 3rd author (in review), and 2 first author manuscript in progress.

I guess that's all... still being nervous oh well... ?

That sounds like you have a ton of really good research experience, and all of those publications will definitely help you out! As long as you have really good recommenders and solid personal statements and fit I think you might have a pretty decent shot. Which schools are you applying to for clinical and neuropsych?

1 minute ago, SoldierOn said:

That sounds like you have a ton of really good research experience, and all of those publications will definitely help you out! As long as you have really good recommenders and solid personal statements and fit I think you might have a pretty decent shot. Which schools are you applying to for clinical and neuropsych?

Hopefully those will really help! As long as I don't get "thrown out" from the application pool by the scores.. 

Clinical - Washington State Uni, Uni of Illinois, Uni of Pittsburgh, Indiana Uni, Uni of Connecticut, Washington State in St. Louis

Neuro - Indiana Uni, Temple Uni, Uni of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

Others - Stanford (Affective Science), UMN (Biological Psychopathology) 

2 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Is anyone else stressing about the Georgia interview post? I didn't even apply there, but I did apply somewhere whose application was due the same day is Georgia's (yes I looked it up haha). This is trying my patience...and we just started!

Yes me exactly lol and I did apply there!

1 minute ago, philopsych said:

Is anyone else stressing about the Georgia interview post? I didn't even apply there, but I did apply somewhere whose application was due the same day is Georgia's (yes I looked it up haha). This is trying my patience...and we just started!

where is this post located?

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting rejected from every school they've applied to? I'm applying to nine IO programs (all phd) with mediocre GRE score (V&Q, not AWA) but high GPA, great LOR, and 2 years of research but I'm nervous my GRE will get me rejected. ? 

@londonbnd definitely heard of people getting rejected from every program they applied to, but I think you should be optimistic. I have also heard of people getting in with average (or below-average) GRE scores or a not-so-stellar GPA. The admissions process is highly idiosyncratic, so you never know. I wish you the best of luck!