Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

55 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

The newest thing I'm obsessing about is whether I sent in all the necessary materials with regards to my study abroad transcript...I'm working on an app due December 15th and they're having me run it through a foreign credits calculator to calculate my GPA, which is something I definitely did NOT do for the apps I already submitted, nor do I remember being asked to do it...

For some background, my study abroad credits are listed on my undergrad transcript, but they're just in there as transfer credits that are not factored into my GPA. I included a scanned version of my study abroad transcript for all my schools, but I didn't convert it to a 4.0 scale...should I have done that? I don't remember being told to...should I email all the programs and ask?

Ugh. I didn't even enjoy my time abroad all that much.

They were credits not factored into your GPA? Is that typical? I would say if they didn't factor into your overall GPA you are probably fine, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't hurt to check in with the grad admins. I have one grad admin I've checked in with multiple times about various concerns regarding the application process who is probably tired of seeing my email pop up lol! But that's what they are there for!

Also obsessing over so many things...I don't know what to do with my anxiety these days besides obsessively obsess over all the application materials I've already submitted, haha

17 minutes ago, justacigar said:

They were credits not factored into your GPA? Is that typical? I would say if they didn't factor into your overall GPA you are probably fine, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't hurt to check in with the grad admins. I have one grad admin I've checked in with multiple times about various concerns regarding the application process who is probably tired of seeing my email pop up lol! But that's what they are there for!

Also obsessing over so many things...I don't know what to do with my anxiety these days besides obsessively obsess over all the application materials I've already submitted, haha

It is actually...a lot of times credits from exchange programs don't factor back into your GPA at your home institution and grad schools vary on how much they care about them....I just went ahead and emailed the grad coordinators and attached my converted grades from that semester...hopefully that's good enough and perhaps they didn't need it at all. Better safe than sorry.

2 hours ago, sassyyetclassy said:

it seems like less people are posting about applying to counseling psychology programs this year. am i the only one here? lmao 

I totally get you on that! I feel like I haven’t seen anyone else on here going for clinical health psych/ pediatric programs this year. Maybe if no one else applies your chances of getting in will be upped (of course I wouldn’t consider this forum to be an overly representative sample of everyone applying)!

Hi All,

First of all, congratulations on getting to this point. I see that many of you are nervous, but try to take time for self care and make sure that you aren’t too fixated on this process. It is truly the first step of many (believe me, I’m currently a clinical student waiting for internship interview invitations). Try to take everything in but don’t focus too much on any one thing, there will be rejection and frustration, but eventually everything will work out. 

I am happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. I have interviewed a lot of grad students for our program. Please feel free to message me or reply to this post. I wish you all the best of luck.

9 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Yeah... after reading this thread I've been wondering whether I should have retaken the GRE to up my math score, but I stand by my assessment that I probably wouldn't have been able to improve much...if I get shut out this round I will retake for next cycle. 

Same

All right so update. One of the schools I emailed last night just thanked me for providing my converted study abroad grades but I still can't tell if they actually needed them in the first place. ? Here's hoping that I hear back from the others so my anxiety calms down lol. 

So one of my applications (for a very highly competitive trauma program) says both "SUBMITTED" and under it "UNDER REVIEW" in green. 
All materials have been submitted since a couple of days ago (including my letters).. Is the department already reviewing apps? lol They really waste no time huh :)

6 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

So one of my applications (for a very highly competitive trauma program) says both "SUBMITTED" and under it "UNDER REVIEW" in green. 
All materials have been submitted since a couple of days ago (including my letters).. Is the department already reviewing apps? lol They really waste no time huh :)

.... I'm still waiting on my third recommender. 

13 hours ago, higaisha said:

Joining the pool of anxious applicants with good research experience/letters/cvs/pubs, but shitty numbers!

Shitty Q* and "OK" V/AWA over here. Sick of a billion (million? trillion? Who knows) dollar institution that does the dirty work of discriminating against minority applicants so universities don't have to do it :)

10 hours ago, sassyyetclassy said:

it seems like less people are posting about applying to counseling psychology programs this year. am i the only one here? lmao 

I'm only applying to one, but that's the only psych I'm applying to. Just hiding in the background here ?

4 minutes ago, HAC said:

Hey does anyone know how flexible schools are with interviews? Do schools typically allow Skype interviews or are they very strict about in-person interviews?

From what I understand, Skype interviews varies according to the PIs. For in-person interviews, schools may be willing to schedule around you. The ones that are less flexible may have already posted on their websites when interviews are going to be held.

Edited by pgt2018

44 minutes ago, HAC said:

Hey does anyone know how flexible schools are with interviews? Do schools typically allow Skype interviews or are they very strict about in-person interviews?

I did skype because i was abroad. They never invited me to campus, it was directly a skype invite

30 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I'm jumping the gun here, but does anyone know if any clinical psych programs send out any results via snail mail? I'm leaving my apartment for a bit for the holidays, can't forward my mail, but don't want to miss anything.

From my understanding, they'll call or email you with anything that you need to know. Rejections may be different but I doubt they'd be sent any time soon. I think admissions committees are cognizant of the fact that people often aren't staying in the same place around this time of year.

29 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

I'm also still waiting on my third recommender and I know she'll submit it but I just wish she would submit it....soon.

Same here! I've been super lax about recommendations because I didn't want to annoy my professors (I know they're each writing a lot of letters right now). I just checked and one of my writers needs to submit 6 applications by tomorrow. Freak out time! 

43 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Same here! I've been super lax about recommendations because I didn't want to annoy my professors (I know they're each writing a lot of letters right now). I just checked and one of my writers needs to submit 6 applications by tomorrow. Freak out time! 

Yeah I'm fighting against a really strong urge to email her even though I just saw her yesterday and she said she would get everything submitted on time.

3 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Yeah I'm fighting against a really strong urge to email her even though I just saw her yesterday and she said she would get everything submitted on time.

Okay mine did 5/7 an hour ago and I've heard nothing since then. I'm joining ya in fighting the urge to email her again. As hard as it is, let's hold off until tomorrow. They will do this for us! (...even if it's last minute).

Just now, philopsych said:

Okay mine did 5/7 an hour ago and I've heard nothing since then. I'm joining ya in fighting the urge to email her again. As hard as it is, let's hold off until tomorrow. They will do this for us! (...even if it's last minute).

Yes! (I would heart react but I ran out of reactions lol).

One of my schools say I have a bunch of incomplete items which I have already submitted. I was hoping to call the school today but no one picked up. Does anyone know if schools are open during the weekend for me to call them.