Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

12 hours ago, Warelin said:

I can guarantee you that you're much more likely to notice small errors than they are. They care more about your ideas than something this minor. :)

Whew, okay that is good news. Thanks for the reassurance!

7 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

One of my letter writers has only submitted a letter for about half of the programs I'm applying to, and I'm about to freak out. I don't want to e-mail him and be a nuisance...

Ha. I gave in and emailed mine yesterday.

26 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

One of my letter writers has only submitted a letter for about half of the programs I'm applying to, and I'm about to freak out. I don't want to e-mail him and be a nuisance...

I would definitely email them at this point. Especially because of the deadline. Most profs appreciate a friendly reminder.

Hello Everyone! First post here!

I'm currently applying for School Psychology PhD programs. I have 5/7 submitted (the other two are due December 15th and January 15th). Most of my transcripts have been sent, but I'm not sure if they've been received. But hey, all 3 of my recommenders have submitted there stuff (well, except for one LoR for one school, which is fun, but I trust him). The waiting game can now officially begin.

1 hour ago, HAC said:

Which programs did you apply to? I feel like time is moving so slowly because I am too eager to see what is going to happen in these coming months. 

There’s several in TX, WA, and AL that I applied to I know send out invites in a couple of weeks. The days are now going to be a drag ? 

5 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I just obsessively checked old grad cafe results to see when my programs typically send out interview offers: last year one sent them out December 3rd and one sent them out December 5th! ah! This is going to be a stressful week!

...what is the admissions committee even doing if they review the apps that fast?

3 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

...what is the admissions committee even doing if they review the apps that fast?

Some of the schools I applied to (don't remember which) don't have admissions committees. They just have your potential PI read the app. I would guess that, for some areas, that substantially cuts down on how many applications they each have to look at....of course, I don't know if these schools I mentioned making early decisions use that model. 

3 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Some of the schools I applied to (don't remember which) don't have admissions committees. They just have your potential PI read the app. I would guess that, for some areas, that substantially cuts down on how many applications they each have to look at....of course, I don't know if these schools I mentioned making early decisions use that model. 

Yeah, I think one of the schools I applied to may do that. They require you to put your proposed mentor on a separate line at the portion of your SOP so they can sort them for review.

I have my email open on my computer and for some reason I keep refreshing it and waiting for something to happen. I know it is way too early but I am not the most patient person at all. I have been watching grad school vlogs on youtube, even if they are not Psychology PHD student. Hope you are all holding up well!

Edited by aokanlawon

All but one of my applications are submitted (last one Dec. 5th deadline getting submitted tomorrow)! Then done with finals on Monday...no idea what I'm going to do while waiting for interviews/rejections ?...

59 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Slightly random question but I started an application for a school that I decided not to apply to...do I need to do anything to cancel it? Can I just leave it there?

You can leave it there! They might send you automated emails reminding you of the deadline but it's no biggie.

12 minutes ago, SoldierOn said:

All but one of my applications are submitted (last one Dec. 5th deadline getting submitted tomorrow)! Then done with finals on Monday...no idea what I'm going to do while waiting for interviews/rejections ?...

I've been fantasizing about how I'm going to give my two week notice at work this summer

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

I've been fantasizing about how I'm going to give my two week notice at work this summer

Right? So much daydreaming about getting even an interview, much less an acceptance.

17 hours ago, HAC said:

Oh ok great that’s why I was wondering because I am currently living abroad and I am not sure I’ll be able to fly to the states at during that time. So the programs were pretty understanding about your situation then?

for sure! plus it's cheaper for them too (as they usually fund part of your flight). Sure it will make you look good if you can come, but nobody will hold it against you if you can't come I'd say - especially if you're abroad (i.e., Korea - East Coast is FARRRRR). 

33 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Anyone sending their POIs an email after they submit? Last time I was in contact with most was in August, think it'd be nice to remind them to keep an eye out for my app.

I’m ambivalent about this. I think it puts them in an uncomfortable situation. ? That’s just me though lol