Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

12 hours ago, psychhealth101 said:

So I had originally sent my transcripts to a school in October but they said they didn't receive so two days before the deadline I sent it again. It should be arriving soon but graduate admissions told me that my application may or may not be reviewed. Nervous because its my top choice! and frustrated because it wasn't my fault since I had everything sent well before the deadline. Any thoughts/comments/advice? 

Hope for the best man. Because so many documents come in, they may not get matched on time even if they receive it at all. Fingers crossed, the grad adm team is willing to look at unofficial stuff for review in good faith :) Otherwise is there anyway you can send proof to them that you sent it ages ago? There's usually a receipt for these things sent to your email. With electronic transcripts you get a notification stating who opened it when and received it.

10 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Posted this on the results page, but got an email from Yale for a skype interview!

Ah! So jealous! Congrats! I hope interview goes super well!

P.S. Any idea if all PIs have contacted their applicants?

P.P.S Mine is also no under review. I'm trying to balance a healthy skepticism with my need to be supportive of other people.

Edited by philopsych

45 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Ah! So jealous! Congrats! I hope interview goes super well!

P.S. Any idea if all PIs have contacted their applicants?

P.P.S Mine is also no under review. I'm trying to balance a healthy skepticism with my need to be supportive of other people.

different PIs tend to work at slightly different pace. if you're applying to the same dept as @DevelopingThoughts (eg. clinical) then you probably expect it within a week or 2 from whenevre that PI contacted him/her for the same dept. If its a different department it might be weeks before you hear back. I might be completely wrong but that seemed to be the trend last year.

1 hour ago, loffire said:

different PIs tend to work at slightly different pace. if you're applying to the same dept as @DevelopingThoughts (eg. clinical) then you probably expect it within a week or 2 from whenevre that PI contacted him/her for the same dept. If its a different department it might be weeks before you hear back. I might be completely wrong but that seemed to be the trend last year.

this is true. And sometimes then even within a department it can be different as I got a skypeinterview basically around the same time others came from interview (and they were obviously notified earlier I assume)..

If anyone has applications that are missing transcripts but are hesitant to email grad admissions, don’t hesitate to bug them (in a friendly manner). I’d been missing both my official transcripts for a program despite sending one 2 months ago by email and another by mail 3 weeks ago so I decided to email the graduate admissions and after a day they responded back saying that they had both transcripts and would update my checklist within 24 hours. I think sometimes they just need a little friendly nudge to get everything uploaded. 

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

I need programs to stop sending "Your application is complete" or "Your application is now under review" e-mails................ LOL.

I'd honestly be ok with this since I haven't gotten any of these emails yet!

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

I need programs to stop sending "Your application is complete" or "Your application is now under review" e-mails................ LOL.

Honestly same I keep getting emails with “Here’s your ID to check the status of your application that’s under review” and I’m like stop it just email me when there’s an interview update

4 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

Got a Skype interview at U of Arizona...

...and emails from some PIs I emailed earlier in the season and didn't hear back from. So far, so good.

Congrats and good luck!!!!

2 hours ago, davidfreire20 said:

Honestly same I keep getting emails with “Here’s your ID to check the status of your application that’s under review” and I’m like stop it just email me when there’s an interview update

Lol I’m just getting these today. Happy to hear anything at all. 

2 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

To be clear, I’m applying to dev psych programs which may be faster then other specialities 

just wondering - did the admission office contact you or the PI directly? and did you speak to this PI prior to application?

2 minutes ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Skype interview with University of Miami, received an email from POI.

What do skype interviews mean? Is this in place of in-person, or is this a preliminary interview to determine whether or not they would like to meet in person?

Pretty sure the latter; the applicant gets information from an in-person interview (e.g., department culture) that's hard to assess over Skype.

Edited to add: also, some applicants can play nice over Skype but turn out to be impossible to work with in person. It's a lot harder to maintain a facade in an entire weekend of interviewing.

Edited by brainwrangler

8 minutes ago, psychapplicant500 said:

What do skype interviews mean? Is this in place of in-person, or is this a preliminary interview to determine whether or not they would like to meet in person?

They might have a shortlist of people they want to interview in person but want to narrow it down before spending $$$ on having you travel there. Plus what @brainwrangler said. After an entire day of interviewing, your brain is scrambled. Good luck!!

edit.. no brain pun intended

Edited by socpsy

Thought it was time I made an appearance on this board rather than just reading it obsessively! I have only applied to three programs - USC, UCI and UCLA - all long shots for me. I've not received any notices about anything since the applications were submitted several weeks ago. Jumping out of my chair every time my phone rings or an email comes in lol! Anyone else waiting on these schools?

Best of luck everyone!

55 minutes ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Skype interview with University of Miami, received an email from POI.

52 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

Pretty sure the latter; the applicant gets information from an in-person interview (e.g., department culture) that's hard to assess over Skype.

Edited to add: also, some applicants can play nice over Skype but turn out to be impossible to work with in person. It's a lot harder to maintain a facade in an entire weekend of interviewing.

I think that generally @brainwrangler is right with a few exceptions. Harvard does not have departmental interviews, so unless an individual PI wants to fly you out, they only do Skype interviews. Also, as others have mentioned, if it is difficult to fly you out because you are international, then it will just be Skype. But, I think at this point in the cycle, it is likely a preliminary interview. 

1 hour ago, psychapplicant500 said:

59 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

I've heard unofficial/preliminary Skype (or phone) interviews helps POIs narrow down applicants from their long list for the formal, in-person interview(s). Basically- you've made it to their long list ;) An achievement itself.

Edited by checkingmyemail

43 minutes ago, olddognewtricks said:

Thought it was time I made an appearance on this board rather than just reading it obsessively! I have only applied to three programs - USC, UCI and UCLA - all long shots for me. I've not received any notices about anything since the applications were submitted several weeks ago. Jumping out of my chair every time my phone rings or an email comes in lol! Anyone else waiting on these schools?

Best of luck everyone!

Ive applied to ucla and uci! keep me updated if you hear anything hahah

27 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

I think that generally @brainwrangler is right with a few exceptions. Harvard does not have departmental interviews, so unless an individual PI wants to fly you out, they only do Skype interviews. Also, as others have mentioned, if it is difficult to fly you out because you are international, then it will just be Skype. But, I think at this point in the cycle, it is likely a preliminary interview. 

Does anyone know how Harvard make their admission decisions? I know it goes through GSAS and then they forward it to the department, but from that point, is it up to a admissions panel to assess the applications or does the PI have unilateral say in who they want? 

Edited by higaisha

@higaisha I know a current graduate student at Harvard and my postdoc advisor did her PhD there. This is for cognitive psychology, not clinical, but from my understanding, it may be the same. Anyway, the individual has to agree to take you on, but I think they have very little sway when the admissions committee actually sits down to decide. The postdoc was telling me that applicants are ranked by the committee and then based on the number of slots there is available, the ranking determines who will be admitted. The postdoc did not have a good GRE and was actually applying to a lab where she was an RA, but the PI did not know whether she would be admitted or not. And, it wasn't that he wouldn't tell her. He actually did not know what the committee would decide. I don't know how much the process has changed, and I also do not know whether it is the same process for clinical.