Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Hi all, this is my first time applying (and using the forum). Just a question for everyone who's applied to Temple -- you were only supposed to upload the person statements and LORs on interfolio right? I just went onto my Temple account and noticed that the application says I did not submit letters or personal statement. PANICKING (sorry I'm all nerves now). 

1 minute ago, Psych1234 said:

Hi all, this is my first time applying (and using the forum). Just a question for everyone who's applied to Temple -- you were only supposed to upload the person statements and LORs on interfolio right? I just went onto my Temple account and noticed that the application says I did not submit letters or personal statement. PANICKING (sorry I'm all nerves now). 

I applied to Temple!!! Don't worry. It says on the psych website that sometimes your Temple portal will say that you're missing things but you're not really. If you're missing anything they will contact you.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:58 PM, EileanDonan said:

Thanks for responding. Sounds like your schedule is insanely busy! I hope you're able to find some time to rest here and there. I'm not sure yet what project I'd be joining, but I don't expect to have issues with time management.

Although, I am somewhat concerned that having research experience that is unrelated to the interests I'll be pursuing might count against me. Has this ever been the case with anyone?

Actually, I have a surprising amount of free time because my jobs in the lab are classified as part time so I can’t work over ~10 hours per project per week. I think the hard part is just mentally organizing and prioritizing what is important in the limited time I am actually at work. 

I would say it depends how different the topics are and what type of experience you are getting from working on the project. I think as a pregrad student nobody expects you to be specialized and having a wide range of research skills may be more attractive to a future POI than having less experience. I know that professors I sent my resume to were rather impressed with the breadth of experience I have coming out of undergrad and didn’t seem to be worried that some of research experience is strictly cognitive (i.e. attention research) when I am applying to social psych programs. Good luck ?!

I have compiled some resources I found with regard to datelines. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS TO FEED YOUR ANXIETY

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/edit#gid=0

https://imgur.com/a/CGVa9

https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

I think generally the spike comes around slightly after christmas

43 minutes ago, loffire said:

Can’t open any of these on my iphone’s Google Chrome... But from what I see, it seems like most of my programs aren’t on these..... so HA!!!!

me: 1     early morning anxiety: 0

1 hour ago, loffire said:

I have compiled some resources I found with regard to datelines. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS TO FEED YOUR ANXIETY

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/edit#gid=0

https://imgur.com/a/CGVa9

https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

I think generally the spike comes around slightly after christmas

currently looking at the GREs and cackling at my 25thp scores LOOOLLL

Edited by higaisha

5 minutes ago, vmPFC187 said:

There is a lot of variability in when PIs start to look at applications. For example, I talked to my PI yesterday and he hadn’t even gotten the applications from the administrator yet. So don’t start worrying too much yet!

Thanks, this is a helpful reminder! I keep oscillating between calm and total anxiety, but it's still very early

Also, please know that any communication with the PI or anyone in their lab is fair game for us to be making assumptions of how you would fit into our lab. As unfortunate as it is, it really means that you need to be on for any contact whether it’s an email/unofficial interview/interview/etc. My best advice is to be professional/polite through this entire process. Like I said earlier, I am happy to answer questions.

10 minutes ago, vmPFC187 said:

As unfortunate as it is, it really means that you need to be on for any contact whether it’s an email/unofficial interview/interview/etc. My best advice is to be professional/polite through this entire process. 

Need to “be on?” Can you clarify this?

Also who would be impolite or unprofessional in their conversations with a potential advisor/lab mates? Is common sense not that common.. lol ?

12 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Need to “be on?” Can you clarify this?

Also who would be impolite or unprofessional in their conversations with a potential advisor/lab mates? Is common sense not that common.. lol ?

You would be surprised. 

What I mean is seeming interested, asking lots of questions, not being on your phone, professional/polite, appropriate attire, etc. 

My PI likes to have people come in for unofficial interviews first because it is more laid-back but it should still be treated as a formal interview. 

10 hours ago, HAC said:

Actually, I have a surprising amount of free time because my jobs in the lab are classified as part time so I can’t work over ~10 hours per project per week. I think the hard part is just mentally organizing and prioritizing what is important in the limited time I am actually at work. 

I would say it depends how different the topics are and what type of experience you are getting from working on the project. I think as a pregrad student nobody expects you to be specialized and having a wide range of research skills may be more attractive to a future POI than having less experience. I know that professors I sent my resume to were rather impressed with the breadth of experience I have coming out of undergrad and didn’t seem to be worried that some of research experience is strictly cognitive (i.e. attention research) when I am applying to social psych programs. Good luck ?!

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I have a promising lab position interview this coming week, and I'm hoping for the best. I'm planning to enter a clinical program in the future, and while I'm not sure this lab could be considered more clinically-focused per se, it does look like it offers the chance to learn different skills. As you say, hopefully future POI's will look kindly on that! Good luck to you as well! ?‍?

10 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Alright, question. Do you think not getting a preliminary Skype interview means you aren’t going to be invited to an interview weekend?

Not necessarily, the email was very personalized from the POI herself and wasn't a mass from the grad school email. She seems to be going faster than others because from my talk with her it seemed like she was faster than most others in getting through her apps