Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

30 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Alright, question. Do you think not getting a preliminary Skype interview means you aren’t going to be invited to an interview weekend?

Not at all, I remember when friends applied last year, the one that got a skype interview didn't end up getting an invitation to the interview weekend, and the other who didn't get a preliminary interview did. There might be a number of reasons a prof wants to have a prelim interview, for example two completely different reasons:

a.) POI who is working ahead of schedule and is really excited about an application
b.) POI who thinks the applicant is "on the fence" and wants to get a measure of the applicant before extending a formal interview

Thanks @ResilientDreams for the reassurance!!! I swear I probably would not have been able to sleep that night thinking about "incomplete" applications. 

Also, anyone with experience reaching to Harvard POIs? I realized I made a note in my planning that the website does not indicate who is planning to take students in Fall 2019, but forgot to follow-up with the faculty individually. Is it too late to reach out now? I'm still super interested and have read about their works in the past month but worry it looks bad to now reach out with deadlines coming up.... 

Harvard is definitely a reach^3 school for me imo, but still want to try to apply! 

23 minutes ago, Psych1234 said:

Thanks @ResilientDreams for the reassurance!!! I swear I probably would not have been able to sleep that night thinking about "incomplete" applications. 

Also, anyone with experience reaching to Harvard POIs? I realized I made a note in my planning that the website does not indicate who is planning to take students in Fall 2019, but forgot to follow-up with the faculty individually. Is it too late to reach out now? I'm still super interested and have read about their works in the past month but worry it looks bad to now reach out with deadlines coming up.... 

Harvard is definitely a reach^3 school for me imo, but still want to try to apply! 

Two I reached out to didn't even know if they could accept students, not sure about others. Read the other posts on Harvard here, it seems their department makes some complex, behind the scenes decisions about who can admit a student AFTER apps come in. 

Eeeeeeeh It probably looks bad to reach out this late, maybe call the department to ask if they know who's recruiting? If they don't then send out the emails!

9 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Two I reached out to didn't even know if they could accept students, not sure about others. Read the other posts on Harvard here, it seems their department makes some complex, behind the scenes decisions about who can admit a student AFTER apps come in. 

Eeeeeeeh It probably looks bad to reach out this late, maybe call the department to ask if they know who's recruiting? If they don't then send out the emails!

Went back a little to dig for the post about this! Thanks for the clarification -- I was wondering why on earth they are not more clear about who is taking students and who is not. 

I agree, I def snoozed on this one. Good suggestion, and if the admissions also does not know I may just take the gamble and apply even if I do not know who is taking the students next fall. ?

20 minutes ago, Psych1234 said:

Went back a little to dig for the post about this! Thanks for the clarification -- I was wondering why on earth they are not more clear about who is taking students and who is not. 

I agree, I def snoozed on this one. Good suggestion, and if the admissions also does not know I may just take the gamble and apply even if I do not know who is taking the students next fall. ?

Tbh spare your time and money and just apply again next year when you'll be more prepared and put together. But if you manage to whip up an app without even knowing who is/isnt/maybe accepting students then you're a GOD LOL

@Psych1234 I think that reaching out now would be totally fine. I was actually talking to a grad student at Harvard who had already submitted his app and then realized there was someone else doing cool work who he hadn’t put on the application. He emailed them and now he is at Harvard working with them! Reach out and talk to as many people as you can. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:28 PM, Psych1234 said:

Hi all, this is my first time applying (and using the forum). Just a question for everyone who's applied to Temple -- you were only supposed to upload the person statements and LORs on interfolio right? I just went onto my Temple account and noticed that the application says I did not submit letters or personal statement. PANICKING (sorry I'm all nerves now). 

I was confused on this as well so prior to the due date I contacted the admissions office and I was told that everything should be done through Interfolio - personal statements, you should have provided your letter writers contact info in Interfolio and then they received an email with instructions on uploading their letters to Interfolio, unofficial transcripts, unofficial GRE scores. You should have filled out the whole thing, basically. Also, once those things were submitted then you had to "Assign" them to the categories in Interfolio. For example, once my letter writers submitted their letters, I then had to go into the document requirements portion of Interfolio and it would show all the uploaded documents and I had to manually select a category for each one - I had to identify which requirement it was meeting - LOR, personal stmt etc. If you didn't manually assign them to the categories it probably isn't a huge deal because the school should have them but it may be showing that they don't because they weren't assigned properly. Therefore, the automated system doesn't realize the requirement is met. Does that make sense?

However, it seems to me that if you didn't fill out the whole thing properly that you wouldn't have been able to click "submit." Does your portal look like this image of mine? Does it show the full application was submitted?

Dossier.png

Edited by PsychM

To everyone worrying about why they aren't hearing anything yet... Please keep in mind it is very common for programs to start reviewing applications after the semester is over but before Christmas. Sometimes they don't until after New Years though. Many faculty members are extremely busy at the end of the semester and like to wrap up final exams and final grades for the classes they teach before focusing on reviewing applications. This is how it was at the very large R1 school where I earned my bachelors degree and at the school where I earned my clinical psych masters degree. I also currently work in the School of Medicine at a large R1 university and I know the university's psychology department is the same way as I know a number of students in the PhD program. At all three places, a week or so after applications are due the grad admissions office reviews and forwards them to the psych department and then most department faculty don't really begin review until after finals. A lot of schools have finals next week so I would say the most popular weeks to expect being contacted if you are being invited to interview will be December 17-21 and January 7-11. This is not my first application cycle (unfortunately) and those weeks correspond to what I have personally experienced in the past. Of course there will be some before those dates and some after BUT the majority will likely fall in those two weeks. I hope this helps with the anxiety a bit - especially for those of you applying for the first time. Good luck, everyone!! ?

6 hours ago, PsychM said:

I was confused on this as well so prior to the due date I contacted the admissions office and I was told that everything should be done through Interfolio - personal statements, you should have provided your letter writers contact info in Interfolio and then they received an email with instructions on uploading their letters to Interfolio, unofficial transcripts, unofficial GRE scores. You should have filled out the whole thing, basically. Also, once those things were submitted then you had to "Assign" them to the categories in Interfolio. For example, once my letter writers submitted their letters, I then had to go into the document requirements portion of Interfolio and it would show all the uploaded documents and I had to manually select a category for each one - I had to identify which requirement it was meeting - LOR, personal stmt etc. If you didn't manually assign them to the categories it probably isn't a huge deal because the school should have them but it may be showing that they don't because they weren't assigned properly. Therefore, the automated system doesn't realize the requirement is met. Does that make sense?

However, it seems to me that if you didn't fill out the whole thing properly that you wouldn't have been able to click "submit." Does your portal look like this image of mine? Does it show the full application was submitted?

Dossier.png

Yep! Mine looks like the image you attached! Probably just the department sorting all the flood of applications they got, but I'm just too impatient for the system haha

1 hour ago, Psych1234 said:

Yep! Mine looks like the image you attached! Probably just the department sorting all the flood of applications they got, but I'm just too impatient for the system haha

I think you're fine then. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

1 hour ago, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Does anyone know if there is a list available anywhere of interview dates/dates we should hear back for clinical PhD programs?

Hey all, 

https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

I found this information on the University of North Texas website. It has a bunch of interview dates for different schools but the website also says not to depend entirely on this. Hope this helps!

Edited by aokanlawon

1 hour ago, clinicalpsych2019 said:

Does anyone know if there is a list available anywhere of interview dates/dates we should hear back for clinical PhD programs?

Unless your individual programs have dates listed on their website there’s no definite list. But, you can go on the results page and search through previous years for your programs to get a general idea!

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

Can anyone else confirm that the UNC Chapel Hill application portal is kinda wonky looking?  I submitted my app in early November.  There are these green check marks next to all necessary doc titles, and it has a "submitted on" date.  However, at the top it just says "Application Status for [Name]  Grad- Psychology."  Nowhere on the page does it say what that status is.  No "Application Complete" nor "Pending Review" nor "Under Review."  I received emails when I submitted and confirming each rec upload, but that's it.  I think it's complete, but it would be nice if it said that or even better if it said it's being reviewed.  Anyone else apply there and see a similar layout with no status lingo?

13 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

Can anyone else confirm that the UNC Chapel Hill application portal is kinda wonky looking?  I submitted my app in early November.  There are these green check marks next to all necessary doc titles, and it has a "submitted on" date.  However, at the top it just says "Application Status for [Name]  Grad- Psychology."  Nowhere on the page does it say what that status is.  No "Application Complete" nor "Pending Review" nor "Under Review."  I received emails when I submitted and confirming each rec upload, but that's it.  I think it's complete, but it would be nice if it said that or even better if it said it's being reviewed.  Anyone else apply there and see a similar layout with no status lingo?

My layout is the exact same way. I submitted everything and got an email saying I submitted but no specific status symbol aside for check marks that I submitted everything.