Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

6 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

The 50th percentile isn't competitive; it's like the minimum cutoff. If you look at good clinical PhD programs and their admissions stats, you will usually see mean percentiles for the admitted class of students hovering in the 75-85th percentile. Of course, like all mean scores, there is some range, but I would not say a 300 is a competitive stat from the point of view of someone on the other side of this process. 

Agreed! 300 combined would be a minimum to even be considered for some schools but definitely not a competitive score. Some of the reach schools have admitted student GRE averages in the 90th percentile. Does anyone know what is considered a competitive score for the Psych GRE? I saw that SDSU's average Psych GRE for admitted students was in the 90th percentile, but that seems really high to me considering the average Psych GRE score for licensed clinical psychologists is in the 60th percentile....

26 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

The 50th percentile isn't competitive; it's like the minimum cutoff. If you look at good clinical PhD programs and their admissions stats, you will usually see mean percentiles for the admitted class of students hovering in the 75-85th percentile. Of course, like all mean scores, there is some range, but I would not say a 300 is a competitive stat from the point of view of someone on the other side of this process. 

I agree unfortunately. Feels like 300 is the polite official cutoff the schools mention, but the competitive programs tend to cut closer around the 60-70th percentile. I imagine with the more competitive programs it might even be 75-80th percentile.

32 minutes ago, gottogetthatphd said:

Sorry to hear that... thanks for the heads up! Would you feel ok letting me know the initials of the person you applied it? Good luck!!

Of course! It's definitely the name of the game, it just was especially disappointing for me because it was my top choice and the first school I heard back from. And yes, I applied to work with JL. Best of luck to you too!

47 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

Almost two weeks and still ain't heard nothing ugh this waiting is gonna kill me y'all

The majority of schools do not start reviewing applications until after the end of the semester or after Christmas. I'm not expecting to hear back from any of my schools until the last week of December at the earliest! Patience is key :) 

3 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Yeah I would change my previous wording choice on that one lol. I meant competitive as in you have any skin in the game at all, rather than a high likelihood of winning, if you catch my drift. Sorry for the confusion!

Just got a "Happy Holidays" generic email form U Alabama with absolutely nothing but a snowy picture that says "happy holidays from U of Alabama Graduate school".... nearly gave me a heart attack. Is it just me or is it cruel to send something like that right now when we're all waiting for interview notifications?!? ?

1 hour ago, mwood126 said:

The majority of schools do not start reviewing applications until after the end of the semester or after Christmas. I'm not expecting to hear back from any of my schools until the last week of December at the earliest! Patience is key :) 

Who has time for patience? We want emails and we want them nowwwwwwwwwww (Just not Christmas emails. Tx.) 

Jk jk jk....Most of mines don't start sending invites till like week 2 of January. Going to just keep myself preoccupied with ?

To everyone who is worried about GRE scores and whether or not some schools would even consider you as an applicant if you don't have a score above threshold X, please treat yourselves better throughout this time and pay little mind to those who would have you believe that it's either a great GRE score or failure.

7 minutes ago, kalman_gain said:

To everyone who is worried about GRE scores and whether or not some schools would even consider you as an applicant if you don't have a score above threshold X, please treat yourselves better throughout this time and pay little mind to those who would have you believe that it's either a great GRE score or failure.

THIS. Thank you! A colleague of mine got into a very competitive university with an awful quant score, it was about 20-25% percentile. She is now a second year student, fully funded, and extremely happy!

1 minute ago, petitebiscuit said:

Sometimes I check my email, wait a couple seconds, and then refresh it again just to torment myself! Realistically, I’m aware it’s highly unlikely I hear from any schools before January (applied to Social and I/O). 

Same i've been refreshing my email and junk folder every hour. My university keeps sending me random emails that are irritating me because I'm getting heart palipations every time lol

1 hour ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Every other psych department seems to be reviewing their applications except Clinical psych...... oh why oh why...oh whyyyyyyyyyy ????

Also I/O.....?

Yo I feel this I feel like I see every other type of psych releasing interview but clinical

1 hour ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Every other psych department seems to be reviewing their applications except Clinical psych...... oh why oh why...oh whyyyyyyyyyy ????

Also I/O.....?

Yeah this is what's really stressing me out. I'll see one of my schools and go AHH!!!...and then see it's developmental, not clinical.

53 minutes ago, kalman_gain said:

I agree with this statement. I think the GRE doesn't really measure much of interest for psychology applicants. I feel like a low score can be made up for through the other components more easily than some people on here seem to think.