Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 minutes ago, buckeyepsych said:

I'm assuming that anyone who requested it when it was posted earlier in the week is still hoping to hear...myself included :)

Yeaaaah I never got a response 

12 hours ago, Psych603 said:

Does anyone have insight into whether all of the U Oregon counseling psych interview invites went out? I know one person said their invite was from their POI, but it seems like in the past most of the invites went out at the same time... 

I received an invite that was not direct from the POI and I believe that it was a department-wide set of invitations that were sent out

I work for a clinical psych professor at University of Nebraska (thought I'm not a grad student there), and he told me that the department wouldn't be sending out notifications until at least Jan 3-4th when we get back from break. Hopefully this puts some people at ease if you haven't heard back from them yet!

@davidfreire20 @PsychGal @buckeyepsych @ktwalsh I @'d people who commented on UNC in the past few pages... they are my (tentative) top choice so I bit the bullet and called Monday. Social division said to expect interview invites within a week if it's good news. Obviously not the same as clinical but I doubt the different sectors of UNC psych are on too very dramatically different time frames. I think I posted this already in the Social-specific psych PhD thread but thought I'd say so here, as well. Good luck to all, friends!

Spoke with a professor today who is on the admissions committee, and just wanted to share this since I know everyone is anxiously anticipating news (maybe you already know this too but figured it might bring some peace of mind).

He reminded me that a lot of factors go into the decision of whether a student gets accepted of not, beyond numbers, letters, GPAs etc. Even when a faculty says he/she is taking a student, sometimes there's already too many students in the lab. If other faculties at the university are more open to taking students that year, the ones who already have a number of students might be less inclined to take on new students. Sometimes the direction of their research is changing, and it's hard to gauge that based on past publications. That being said, you may be a stellar applicant, but things just don't line up during a particular cycle. 

TLDR: Keep your heads high! Some factors are out of our control. 

Edited by Psych1234

35 minutes ago, veileddreamer said:

@davidfreire20 @PsychGal @buckeyepsych @ktwalsh I @'d people who commented on UNC in the past few pages... they are my (tentative) top choice so I bit the bullet and called Monday. Social division said to expect interview invites within a week if it's good news. Obviously not the same as clinical but I doubt the different sectors of UNC psych are on too very dramatically different time frames. I think I posted this already in the Social-specific psych PhD thread but thought I'd say so here, as well. Good luck to all, friends!

Had Skype interview with clinical POI two weeks ago. Was told would it will *most likely* be after holidays before in-person invites are sent. Hope this helps.

Edited by panic

21 minutes ago, panic said:

Had Skype interview with clinical POI two weeks ago. Was told would it will *most likely* be after holidays before in-person invites are sent. Hope this helps.

That definitely helps! I figured it would be the first or second week of January since interview notification deadlines for UNC Clinical are January 18th as per their website. 

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

I work for a clinical psych professor at University of Nebraska (thought I'm not a grad student there), and he told me that the department wouldn't be sending out notifications until at least Jan 3-4th when we get back from break. Hopefully this puts some people at ease if you haven't heard back from them yet!

Does this apply to rejections or only interview invites? Sorry, this whole process is not being good to me.

11 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Ahhh Skype got an email from Stanford PI for Skype interview 

11 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Is this for developmental? Can you dm me your POI? Congrats!

Yeah, I'd love to know this too. Congratulations! 

9 hours ago, veileddreamer said:

Thank you for calling! Hopefully I will get some good news this week.

10 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

Does this apply to rejections or only interview invites? Sorry, this whole process is not being good to me.

In the past, UNC's clinical rejections have gone out a few weeks later than their interview invites. However, they will update their webpage when all invites have gone out. If you do not hear anything by January 18th then you will know you did not get in, but the website may update even earlier than that. I am currently a masters student in the UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine and volunteer in a clinical psych research lab. I spoke with the PI in my lab and she said in the many years she has worked at UNC she has never seen invites go out before January. Hope that helps - best of luck to everyone!

15 minutes ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Received official invite to interview at U of Miami! Received an email from the POI.

Applied to the Clinical Psychology PhD program (Health track)

Congratulations! That is an awesome school. I'm still waiting to hear back from my PI in the Child track ?

This is ridiculous.  I went through old results to see when all my schools traditionally send invites.  Other than the one that already rejected me, none send invitations until last week in Dec, early Jan.  Yet all I can do is obsess and check my email and these boards to see if anything happens.  I mean, it is HIGHLY unlikely that something will come through before Christmas.  But still...   ugh, this process.