Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

did anyone hear back from the person who got the stony brook intervuew? Thats really fast. If you did hear from them can you pm the initial to me? ty

also why might some schools reject now and others in feb? Like people off the bat that they know are not a fit? I didnt hear back yet from a school with an 11/29 deadline but I do see in other years some people got rejections today (interview invites for this school anytime from 7-30 of dec with a lot concentrated around now)

5 hours ago, StatsAddict said:

I thought I’d also share my current interview updates, in case anyone's looking for info on interview dates for these programs: I have interviews for the developmental programs at Missouri (Jan 25), UT Dallas (Jan 31-Feb 1), GMU (Feb 15), ASU (preliminary phone interview), and Notre Dame.

Congrats on all your interviews! Would you mind PM your POI at Notre Dame? Thanks!

6 hours ago, StatsAddict said:

Hello all! I'm new here-- applying mostly to developmental programs. I applied to University of Minnesota’s Child Psychology program, Developmental Science Track; wondering if anyone has heard anything from this program? They only have info on the accepted students weekend on their website— but they don’t say anything about interviewing. Also applied to Georgetown’s PhD in Psychology, concentration in human development: anyone hear anything from them? Any info would be most welcome! :)

I thought I’d also share my current interview updates, in case anyone's looking for info on interview dates for these programs: I have interviews for the developmental programs at Missouri (Jan 25), UT Dallas (Jan 31-Feb 1), GMU (Feb 15), ASU (preliminary phone interview), and Notre Dame.

UMN Psych and ICD programs don't interview, they direct admit. If you're accepted you're invited to accepted students weekend to see if you like the school.

This might have been brought up at some point in the previous 47 pages so forgive any redundancy, but is it a bad idea to immediately accept the first interview invitation you receive?  I just received an invite this morning and am hoping if I'm ~lucky~, I might get another later today as programs push to review before the holidays.  I'm wondering if it is fine to wait until the end of the day or tomorrow morning to accept the first invite, or if this would be viewed as lack of enthusiasm?  

I'm equally interested in all 6 programs I applied to, and I just want to see if any others send out notifications today.

7 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

This might have been brought up at some point in the previous 47 pages so forgive any redundancy, but is it a bad idea to immediately accept the first interview invitation you receive?  I just received an invite this morning and am hoping if I'm ~lucky~, I might get another later today as programs push to review before the holidays.  I'm wondering if it is fine to wait until the end of the day or tomorrow morning to accept the first invite, or if this would be viewed as lack of enthusiasm?  

I'm equally interested in all 6 programs I applied to, and I just want to see if any others send out notifications today.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t accept an interview if you want to go to the school it’s not an admittance. You aren’t locked out of other interviews because you accepted one. And if you accept now, you will know your schedule for the next interview option. You should definitely interview everywhere you want to go so that they can decide if you’re a right fit and vice versus. 

Edited by Psyhopeful

8 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

I don’t know why you wouldn’t accept an interview if you want to go to the school it’s not an admittance. You aren’t locked out of other interviews because you accepted one. And if you accept now, you will know your schedule for the next interview option. You should definitely interview everywhere you want to go so that they can decide if you’re a right fit and vice versus. 

16 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

am hoping if I'm ~lucky~, I might get another later today as programs push to review before the holidays.  I'm wondering if it is fine to wait until the end of the day or tomorrow mo

Totally understand Psyhopeful's point but I am kind of in the same boat as NiceCupofTea. Was wondering if others at least thank them for the opportunity and will confirm soon (to still show interest and gratitude); or if it is better to just not say anything yet until you either hear from the other school you know has the same interview date or don't.

12 minutes ago, psych5ever said:

Totally understand Psyhopeful's point but I am kind of in the same boat as NiceCupofTea. Was wondering if others at least thank them for the opportunity and will confirm soon (to still show interest and gratitude); or if it is better to just not say anything yet until you either hear from the other school you know has the same interview date or don't.

yeah. i have 6 schools that may have their interview on the same day. i feel like any school that reaches out early has an advantage in locking down applicants. tricky situation to juggle.

re: 'not being locked out' -- if you say yes to an interview and then back out for another interview, i imagine that looks pretty bad to whichever program is being rescheduled.

Edited by 21ny14

28 minutes ago, 21ny14 said:

yeah. i have 6 schools that may have their interview on the same day. i feel like any school that reaches out early has an advantage in locking down applicants. tricky situation to juggle.

re: 'not being locked out' -- if you say yes to an interview and then back out for another interview, i imagine that looks pretty bad to whichever program is being rescheduled.

Right, but the original poster said they were equally interested in each program. If you have one you want more, then wait. I would just not respond in that case. No one is going to check their responses until after Christmas probably anyway. But if you’re equally interested and it’s easy for you to go, I would take the interview and let the others work around your schedule, then you don’t look bad to anyone, because you’re just already booked. You don’t need to reschedule and look bad. If they want to interview you, I’m sure they expect that others do too, and are aware that their weekends overlap with others. 

53 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Right, but the original poster said they were equally interested in each program. If you have one you want more, then wait. I would just not respond in that case. No one is going to check their responses until after Christmas probably anyway. But if you’re equally interested and it’s easy for you to go, I would take the interview and let the others work around your schedule, then you don’t look bad to anyone, because you’re just already booked. You don’t need to reschedule and look bad. If they want to interview you, I’m sure they expect that others do too, and are aware that their weekends overlap with others. 

I just found out I am going to receive an invitation to interview on a date that I believe will end up being the same as an interview I already accepted. I think the best solution in this case is to thank the second program and ask about alternatives and be up front about the situation. If they say there are no alternatives, I would consider asking the first program if they offer any alternatives. In the end, if no one budges, I'll go to the school that asked first.

Y’all! It’s a holiday weekend, and I’m headed out the door for a vacation. I’ve committed to staying off gradcafe until AFTER the holiday. I hope some of you will join me (regardless of whether you celebrate or not)!

34 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

To the recent poster who got rejected at UNL, was this a mass email rejection? Sorry but thank you in advance! 

Extremely interested in this as well.... I was expecting not to hear back for a bit (based on someones post somewhere in the forums here that they work at a lab at UNL and heard that they aren't sending out interview invites until early January)

Edited by presentfancies

Just now, presentfancies said:

Extremely interested in this as well.... I was expecting not to hear back for a bit (based on someones post somewhere in the forums here that she works at a lab at UNL and heard that they aren't sending out interview invites until early January)

I checked MyRED and it showed my application as still being "under review". 

School: William James College

Type: PsyD Clinical

Date of Invite: Dec. 21, 2018

Type of invite: Email telling us to look @ application portal 

Interview date(s): 1/26 (there are two dates, you're automatically assigned)

Edited by dancedementia

37 minutes ago, psycinfo said:

Can the person posted they got an interview at Berkeley share which department and if the email came from their POI or the department? Thanks!

Yeah, if either of the people are on here, I'd really appreciate knowing that too! 

48 minutes ago, psycinfo said:

Can the person posted they got an interview at Berkeley share which department and if the email came from their POI or the department? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, s1147 said:

Yeah, if either of the people are on here, I'd really appreciate knowing that too! 

In my case, the email came from the department, and I applied for the Cognition concentration (with my interests heavily overlapping with Cog Neuro professors as well).

2 minutes ago, sparkes said:

In my case, the email came from the department, and I applied for the Cognition concentration (with my interests heavily overlapping with Cog Neuro professors as well).

Thank you for replying and congratulations on your interview! I applied for the Developmental concentration but with a lot of overlap with Cognition. Is the interview with a particular POI? If so, would you mind sharing or DM me the initials