Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

On 12/23/2018 at 4:37 AM, Rey38 said:

Hi, yes I applied to NYU's cognition & perception program and was invited to an interview (POI e-mailed me on Dec 16th). If you heard from most of the other programs that's a really good sign. NYU is the only one I got an interview from so far. Good luck!

Ah, okay! Thanks for letting me know and congrats on the interview!

Hi everyone! I have a question to people who were invited to interview for the Cognition & Perception program at NYU. Is it an official interview with the admission commitee or skype/meeting with the POI alone? Or do you know if there will be a separate official interview after meeting with POI unoficially?

5 hours ago, luna314 said:

Hi everyone! I have a question to people who were invited to interview for the Cognition & Perception program at NYU. Is it an official interview with the admission commitee or skype/meeting with the POI alone? Or do you know if there will be a separate official interview after meeting with POI unoficially?

Hi! I was told to pick 3-4 people (including POI) who I'd like to interview with during my time there. I think it's a separate interview with each professor.

Edited by Rey38

Hi all! I have some questions for people who applied to Yale:

1. Which psych department did you apply to?

2. Were you contacted about an interview?

3. If you got an interview, were you contacted by the department/POI? 

Thanks!!

On 12/25/2018 at 8:45 AM, gottogetthatphd said:

Hey everyone! At one point I saw a link to a list of all of the confirmed interview dates for different programs floating around; does anyone still have it? Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!!! And happy New Years as well!!!!

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but it is useful for seeing confirmed interview dates!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/htmlview

4 hours ago, mwood126 said:

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but it is useful for seeing confirmed interview dates!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/htmlview

The title says  "Psychology Grad School Decisions 2018-2019". Is this for this cycle or last year's cycle? Thanks!

16 minutes ago, clinicalpsych20192020 said:

The title says  "Psychology Grad School Decisions 2018-2019". Is this for this cycle or last year's cycle? Thanks!

It's for this year's cycle. The title is a bit of a misnomer.

On another note, I am stressed af trying to arrange travel to some of my interviews. Ugh :(  All of my programs are FAAAAR away from where I'm currently located and my bank account is already hurting. It might be time to make use of Amtrak and non-flight plans haha.

Edited by dancedementia

11 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

On another note, I am stressed af trying to arrange travel to some of my interviews. Ugh :(  All of my programs are FAAAAR away from where I'm currently located and my bank account is already hurting. It might be time to make use of Amtrak and non-flight plans haha.

Are they not reimbursing you for your travel? I know it’s still an expense up front, but I’m curious. I have just one so far but they are reimbursing my flight and putting me up with a grad student. I thought (hope!) that’s standard. 

37 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

24 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Are they not reimbursing you for your travel? I know it’s still an expense up front, but I’m curious. I have just one so far but they are reimbursing my flight and putting me up with a grad student. I thought (hope!) that’s standard. 

I have only one interview as well so far and they will also reimburse me and take care of hotel expenses. I was hoping this was standard too. 

28 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Much more standard in PhD programs than PsyD programs - and most of mine are PsyD :(

2 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

This isn't my first application cycle for Clinical Psych PhD programs and I have never been reimbursed for travel expenses. I have two interviews coming up and neither are reimbursing for travel expenses. I guess this isn't something the programs I apply to do!

I've been invited out for one place but they're doing more of a reimbursement thing instead of buying the ticket for me. I thought this would be fine, but I'm having trouble scrounging up the needed cash to eventually get reimbursed! Course, I'm sure I'll find a way.

Edited by paraent

The interview I have is pretty far from home for me so I’m flying there. But if I get interviews to schools along the East coast, I think I’ll drive there instead. The school where I’m interviewing also offered mileage reimbursement if I drove instead. I feel fortunate.

On a separate note, anyone else looking forward to the end of the winter break to hear from schools?! ? 

3 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

The interview I have is pretty far from home for me so I’m flying there. But if I get interviews to schools along the East coast, I think I’ll drive there instead. The school where I’m interviewing also offered mileage reimbursement if I drove instead. I feel fortunate.

On a separate note, anyone else looking forward to the end of the winter break to hear from schools?! ? 

I figured once it was dec 26 they would start notifying again! I’m going crazy over here waiting for Jan 3/4th for UNL!! 

On a separate note, I’ve been offered one interview for clinical psych PhD and am not being reimbursed but I am able to stay with a grad student. 

4 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

...am I looking forward to the end of my break? No not especially haha. 

4 hours ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

I figured once it was dec 26 they would start notifying again! I’m going crazy over here waiting for Jan 3/4th for UNL!! 

On a separate note, I’ve been offered one interview for clinical psych PhD and am not being reimbursed but I am able to stay with a grad student. 

Congrats on the interview!! I guess schools do differ a lot on the type of assistance they provide if any for interviews. Here’s to hoping for more!

3 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

...am I looking forward to the end of my break? No not especially haha. 

Here I am praying for the break to be go by faster ?

24 minutes ago, irisyuz21 said:

Hi there,

I want to ask you guys a question, what are the things or questions asked during preliminary phone interview for clinical psych program?  Got pretty nervous seeing folks didn’t get in-person interview invitation after phone interview.

Seconding this. Can anyone share what that's like?