Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

38 minutes ago, irisyuz21 said:

Hi there,

I want to ask you guys a question, what are the things or questions asked during preliminary phone interview for clinical psych program?  Got pretty nervous seeing folks didn’t get in-person interview invitation after phone interview.

I had one last year and one so far this year. Both times it was explained to me that getting a phone interview means that you meet all the requirements on paper, but the PI wants to ensure a good research/mentorship fit before spending time and resources bringing you out to the in-person. So the questions I was asked were mainly about my research goals/my dream project etc. I didn't feel like I was being tested on my qualifications/rehashing my CV, more just having a two-way convo to determine if there was a possibility that we could have a mutually beneficial mentor/mentee relationship.

If you get invited to the in person interview after having a phone call with your POI, what are your chances? All expenses are paid for the interview so I can’t imagine that they invited a lot of people. However, I am unsure and would like some insight. Thanks!

Edited by Psy2018

31 minutes ago, buckeyepsych said:

I had one last year and one so far this year. Both times it was explained to me that getting a phone interview means that you meet all the requirements on paper, but the PI wants to ensure a good research/mentorship fit before spending time and resources bringing you out to the in-person. So the questions I was asked were mainly about my research goals/my dream project etc. I didn't feel like I was being tested on my qualifications/rehashing my CV, more just having a two-way convo to determine if there was a possibility that we could have a mutually beneficial mentor/mentee relationship.

Thank you so much! Good luck on your applications~ "fit" is a very subjective and vague term to me, not sure how to make a evaluation on whether I fit a program or not...not sure what you guys think...it is killing me~....

19 hours ago, Gofer1996 said:

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Memphis? I saw one person got an invite through email from their POI, but invites were not sent out this early in the past.

Thanks for any insight!

My POI reached out. DM for initials

5 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Seconding this. Can anyone share what that's like?

I just had a phone interview, so I can lend a hand here. I was asked to elaborate more on experiences I had, as it's hard to sum up everything you do in a CV. I was also asked about specific aspects of my application that weren't ideal - namely that my quant score isn't great. I was asked why I got this score and how my application shows that I can overcome that. So prepare to talk about the good and the not so good of your application. 

I also got the chance to hear about the POIs research, her lab, the university, etc. in depth and talk about what I would want to work on should I start in the lab right now. 

The most important thing is to just be confident and personable, ask lots of questions to show you're interested and prepared. Good luck!!!

6 hours ago, irisyuz21 said:

Hi there,

I want to ask you guys a question, what are the things or questions asked during preliminary phone interview for clinical psych program?  Got pretty nervous seeing folks didn’t get in-person interview invitation after phone interview.

I had a preliminary phone interview for a Clinical Psych PhD program last week. I was asked the following questions:

What type of research are you hoping to do?

What are your long term career goals? 

What clinical experiences are you looking for?

What type of environment or resources do you need to be successful in a doctorate program?

What type of mentorship style do you think works best for you?

7 hours ago, irisyuz21 said:

Hi there,

This is a great question! I’m curious, too. 

On 12/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, Sophie Su said:

One of my recommendation letter writer submitted her letter to Columbia on Dec.15. I guess it means an auto-reject considering how early Columbia send out invite. 

I know it's my fault that my letter writer submitted her letter past due date for that long.. but still.. 

Hi Sophie, Don't worry! As I know (I checked that before), as long as you submit your application on time, other supplementary materials (e.g., official score reports, recommendation letters) could arrive a bit late and that will not affect your application status! I assure you that's not auto-rejection. :D

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, ASDadvocate said:

I have only one interview as well so far and they will also reimburse me and take care of hotel expenses. I was hoping this was standard too. 

To those who said they were reimbursed, if you don't mind me asking--did they offer to reimburse you? or you asked? It sounds like they offered, that's super nice of them but I've heard that is not the standard.

I was also offered housing/transportation accommodations which was great but not reimbursement.

33 minutes ago, psych5ever said:

To those who said they were reimbursed, if you don't mind me asking--did they offer to reimburse you? or you asked? It sounds like they offered, that's super nice of them but I've heard that is not the standard.

I was also offered housing/transportation accommodations which was great but not reimbursement.

I have been offered a couch to crash on, food, and someone picking me up from a train station, but never reimbursement for tickets or even transportation from an airport. What schools reimburse...???

1 hour ago, psych5ever said:

I was told at the time I was invited that I would be reimbursed for my travel and to keep my receipts. I was also told I would be picked up and would be staying with a grad student. 

1 hour ago, psych5ever said:

They offered me reimbursement for flight and food. They will take care of stay (they said they would send me hotel confirmation) and transportation. This is for the Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) psychology PhD at Ohio State University. I applied to the combined clinical and IDD program but received an email from the POI from the IDD program. 

An update on Northwestern (personal email from POI):

We have completed our initial review of applicants and the committee made selections for on-campus interviews. 

At this time, you are#1 on my waiting list; I anticipate I will have more information for you in the new year, so we will keep in touch on that topic, ok? No matter the outcome for this year, I hope we can pursue the analyses and papers, which are of interest to us both and will certainly strengthen your position as an incoming PhD student (this cycle or next!)

Questions here!

1) why are people shortlisted? And if the professor will accept 1 student each year, how many candidate are interviewed for this professor’s lab? 1? I assume? And is my professor in charge of her shortlist or the committee?

2) The professor mentioned that the two papers that I proposed to working on will strengthen my position as an incoming PhD student, both this cycle and next. Specifically, how will it strengthen my position this cycle (as I am already been shortlisted)? 

3) How would you respond to this email, personally? (Well there is possibility that I may have several offers eventually)

Thanks! Good luck to all of us!

2 minutes ago, Sepal said:

An update on Northwestern (personal email from POI):

We have completed our initial review of applicants and the committee made selections for on-campus interviews. 

At this time, you are#1 on my waiting list; I anticipate I will have more information for you in the new year, so we will keep in touch on that topic, ok? No matter the outcome for this year, I hope we can pursue the analyses and papers, which are of interest to us both and will certainly strengthen your position as an incoming PhD student (this cycle or next!)

Questions here!

1) why are people shortlisted? And if the professor will accept 1 student each year, how many candidate are interviewed for this professor’s lab? 1? I assume? And is my professor in charge of her shortlist or the committee?

2) The professor mentioned that the two papers that I proposed to working on will strengthen my position as an incoming PhD student, both this cycle and next. Specifically, how will it strengthen my position this cycle (as I am already been shortlisted)? 

3) How would you respond to this email, personally? (Well there is possibility that I may have several offers eventually)

Thanks! Good luck to all of us!

I can't respond to those questions but I just wanted to say congrats on the waitlist...and then ask my own questions. Does this mean everyone being considered has been contacted? Also, is this the Evanston campus?

3 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

They offered me reimbursement for flight and food. They will take care of stay (they said they would send me hotel confirmation) and transportation. This is for the Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) psychology PhD at Ohio State University. I applied to the combined clinical and IDD program but received an email from the POI from the IDD program. 

Thank you for letting us know! That is amazing and super helpful of them, I didn't even know schools offer such reimbursements. If only all programs could offer this, a little less to worry about.

27 minutes ago, psych5ever said:

Thank you for letting us know! That is amazing and super helpful of them, I didn't even know schools offer such reimbursements. If only all programs could offer this, a little less to worry about.

Definitely! I was pleasantly surprised when the POI sent this info too. Since it’s my first interview so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. Hoping for more like these for us all!! ?

4 hours ago, philopsych said:

I can't respond to those questions but I just wanted to say congrats on the waitlist...and then ask my own questions. Does this mean everyone being considered has been contacted? Also, is this the Evanston campus?

Yes, invites sent out. And this is for Evanston campus. 

8 hours ago, Gofer1996 said:

Hi everyone! 

I saw someone got an email from the DCT from University of Alabama Birmingham Clinical/Medical Psych inviting him/her to an interview.  I saw that last year, invites were not sent out until the new year, so I was wondering if anyone else got an interview from them or had any info on that.

Thanks!

I’m a current student there — I can say that we’ve started arranging hosts for interviewees today, so it seems invites are going out earlier than last year.

Apologies if this was asked already, but what are people's thoughts on agreeing to stay with grad student versus booking your own hotel room/airbnb etc? I'm a terrible sleeper so the idea of being in a stranger's place for the night isn't ideal for me, I'd rather be on my own. Would this be a disadvantage though? Better to just suck it up?