Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

4 hours ago, psychizkool said:

Does anyone have examples of what you've responded/what you would respond when asked in an interview with a POI why you, personally, are the best candidate for the position?

This obviously varies a lot person-to-person, but I feel like by the time people reach interviews, the traits/experiences I have going for me will be pretty comparable to others', so I'm struggling to think of what I should use to differentiate myself.

First time applicant, so total amateur here, but my take on this would be to draw from my history and experience that I might have over someone else (i.e. the specific kind of lab I worked in, or the particular clinical population I'm already familiar with), as well as what gives me a new perspective in my approach (i.e. having a BA in something other than psychology, or professional work experience, etc etc).

Hope that's in any way helpful! I'll definitely be looking to see what others reply

4 hours ago, psychizkool said:

Does anyone have examples of what you've responded/what you would respond when asked in an interview with a POI why you, personally, are the best candidate for the position?

This obviously varies a lot person-to-person, but I feel like by the time people reach interviews, the traits/experiences I have going for me will be pretty comparable to others', so I'm struggling to think of what I should use to differentiate myself.

From what I understand, fit is always really important, so I would highlight the ways that your research interests would work with and enhance what they’re doing in their lab, as well as what unique skills, experiences, or research/education you have that will be useful and bring a new perspective.

UMSL has started reaching out to students. I feel some tyoe of way even though it was a reach for me. I love the course, I just don't know that I'm good enough to get in.

Also, am I the only one that hates that POI's are reaching out one after the other instead of a mass email? Makes me mad nervous because I can't tell when my POI would get to my application.

For those of you that are currently working, how are you dealing with taking time off for interviews? I know I will have to take several days off in a span of a few weeks for interviews and I'm worried about taking so much time off (especially since my employer doesn't know I'm applying). Interviews are my priority especially since I will be leaving work in a few months if I get accepted but I would still like to have a job until then. Anyone in a similar position? 

1 minute ago, psychhealth101 said:

For those of you that are currently working, how are you dealing with taking time off for interviews? I know I will have to take several days off in a span of a few weeks for interviews and I'm worried about taking so much time off (especially since my employer doesn't know I'm applying). Interviews are my priority especially since I will be leaving work in a few months if I get accepted but I would still like to have a job until then. Anyone in a similar position? 

I would let your employer know as soon as possible so that they can prepare for the absences. If they know in advance and have time to adjust for it, they shouldn't be upset or fire you. Especially if it's a type of position typically used as a gateway to graduate admission, in which case they will probably only be excited for you. My current research lab has at least 5 of us applying to graduate programs, and nobody has been bothered by the time off. If they do get irritated, I would try assuring them that January/February (if that's when your interviews are) is really the only time where this will even be an issue.

can someone please direct me to the post containing the spreadsheet of schools that have contacted applicants? i saw it a few weeks ago and thought i bookmarked it, but must not have. 

@clinical psych applicants, remember that gradcafe, reddit, and all the other forums are a great example of reassurance seeking (as in ocd and anxiety). try to monitor your urges to check gradcafe and seek reassurance! you're going to do great, no matter the outcome. happy freaking new year.

3 minutes ago, crossallmyfingers said:

can someone please direct me to the post containing the spreadsheet of schools that have contacted applicants? i saw it a few weeks ago and thought i bookmarked it, but must not have. 

@clinical psych applicants, remember that gradcafe, reddit, and all the other forums are a great example of reassurance seeking (as in ocd and anxiety). try to monitor your urges to check gradcafe and seek reassurance! you're going to do great, no matter the outcome. happy freaking new year.

Heyy, is it this? :) https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ 

5 hours ago, davidfreire20 said:

How long after interviews do people normally hear back from POIs/schools?

No clue what the norm is but at my interview the department told us we should hear back from them within two weeks. One of the PIs i interviewed with contacted me within one week after about their decision, and the other PI there I interviewed with took closer to a month. 

16 hours ago, davidfreire20 said:

I commend your tenacity i can't even imagine doing another at this hour

I'm with you. I have one final application due Jan 15th and I am strongly considering not doing it - I've written 13 already and I'm so done with that part of the process! Especially because this school is asking for a personal statement plus 1,500 words in custom essays.