Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, londonbnd said:

Congrats on the interview!! Were you notified via email or phone call?

I got an email from the director, Skyped with him and then the next day my POI called me for an hour or so and formally invited me to the interview day! They said letters were to be sent out in the next week or so!

4 hours ago, aaf3010 said:

Hey, did anyone apply to the Human Development program at the University of Maryland College Park and heard back from them?

I didn't apply to the HDFS program but I just had skype interview for the Developmental Psych program on Saturday. I'm thinking that means formal invites will go out in the next week or so, so probably don't worry yet. 

43 minutes ago, JaniceMontgomery said:

I didn't apply to the HDFS program but I just had skype interview for the Developmental Psych program on Saturday. I'm thinking that means formal invites will go out in the next week or so, so probably don't worry yet. 

Ahhh every other dept has posted about UMD-CP except their clinical! 

If someone sees this and /has/ been contacted about clinical, give a shout! 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, ASDadvocate said:

Hi everyone! I work at FIU and my supervisor said they just reviewed applications yesterday. Hope this info is helpful to somebody!

Thank you for this!! Now, can I ask (if you may know) how long after reviewing, they usually make first contact? I’m sitting on the edge of my seat waiting on that email lol

Hey everyone! I wanted to ask for feedback and advice... and I would be happy to hear from anyone! I applied to the School Psychology program at Northern Arizona University and received a mass email back in December 13 saying that the interview day would be January 25 and that they are “planning to notify everyone of their status by January 7.” I know the day isn’t completely over but just in case I don’t hear back tonight... What should I do? How long should I wait until I reach out to the program and ask about my status? Thanks for reading! 

10 minutes ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hey everyone! I wanted to ask for feedback and advice... and I would be happy to hear from anyone! I applied to the School Psychology program at Northern Arizona University and received a mass email back in December 13 saying that the interview day would be January 25 and that they are “planning to notify everyone of their status by January 7.” I know the day isn’t completely over but just in case I don’t hear back tonight... What should I do? How long should I wait until I reach out to the program and ask about my status? Thanks for reading! 

You reaching out won’t change anything, so don’t do anything right now. Maybe email Friday if you really need to know, but odds are if you don’t hear by tonight it’s a rejection. 

44 minutes ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

I am waiting to hear back from them as well! Every time i got an email notification today I would leap to my phone thinking it would be them ?.  Guess we will have to be patient and hope that they send something out this week! 

34 minutes ago, liznlex said:

I am waiting to hear back from them as well! Every time i got an email notification today I would leap to my phone thinking it would be them ?.  Guess we will have to be patient and hope that they send something out this week! 

Oh my gosh I’m so glad that someone out there can understand what I’m going through hahaha. I’m doing the exact same thing. I just want to know! I’ll definitely PM you if I hear anything as well. 

2 minutes ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Oh my gosh I’m so glad that someone out there can understand what I’m going through hahaha. I’m doing the exact same thing. I just want to know! I’ll definitely PM you if I hear anything as well. 

Thank you! I will do the same :)

7 hours ago, Phoenixphires said:

Hi all! Brand new to this site... and I don't know honestly if I'm glad to have found it haha since now I'm OBSESSED. 

Anyway, I applied to 3 programs for a Pysch/Neuro PHD: U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Baylor, and UChicago. I have already gotten invites to U of I and Baylor! YAY!!! But Chicago, to this point, is my first choice, and there's been nothing but crickets.... Has anyone heard anything?

Haven't heard anything from UChicago yet - I applied through the Cognition division.

9 minutes ago, junior313 said:

Haven't heard anything from UChicago yet - I applied through the Cognition division.

Good to know! I saw on the results that last year invites didn’t go out til mid January, but I’m getting anxious. I’ll let you know when/if I hear, and good luck to you!

19 hours ago, loffire said:

I spoke to someone on the forum who mentioned they received an interview invite from dartmouth some time back. I applied there too and haven't heard anything. But seeing that it's been some time since the interview invite was sent, I think it's best we assume it's done and move on :( after a few more drinks

You're probably right :( it just seems weird not hearing either way. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

8 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Good morning! Does anyone have any input on the accuracy of the CUDCP interview invite timeline? Trying to gauge how high my stress level should be today!  

Are you talking about this calendar https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e  when you say their "timeline?"

Just now, FreudEgg said:

Yep, should have clarified! Thanks :)

I would say it is fairly accurate. So far the interview dates listed for the schools I have been invited to interview at are correct. From what I can remember from last year when I applied, the timelines were accurate. The downside is not every clinical psychology doctoral program is listed on that.

3 minutes ago, PsychM said:

I would say it is fairly accurate. So far the interview dates listed for the schools I have been invited to interview at are correct. From what I can remember from last year when I applied, the timelines were accurate. The downside is not every clinical psychology doctoral program is listed on that.

That’s really helpful, thank you! 

Just not helpful for my stress level. I’m attempting to run but have been stopping every few mins to check my email. I need an intervention. 

22 minutes ago, PsychM said:

I wonder what your opinion on this may be, one of my schools has an interview deadline listed on there in red for January 14th. Is it safe to assume that if I havent received an email yet (as they just emailed me that my GRE scores were finally updated after being stuck in limbo) that I still have a chance of receiving an invite? 

Im deeply afraid I am going to get an email for an interview about 2 weeks before the interview weekend and not have enough time to get a flight that is within my price range. 

17 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

That’s really helpful, thank you! 

Just not helpful for my stress level. I’m attempting to run but have been stopping every few mins to check my email. I need an intervention. 

I think that is how the majority of applicants are. Try your best to keep yourself distracted with things you enjoy doing (easier said than done, unfortunately). I noticed that over the holidays when I was with my nieces and nephews I rarely had the urge to check my email or to check GradCafe! My fiance and I are also in the process of planning a trip for April and our honeymoon for January 2020 so that helps to distract me too. My problem is when I am at work all day I have unlimited time to refresh my email and GC because I generally have nothing else that I really want to be doing while at work! ??

Looking for an opinion: I have been asked to present to a group of 50+ school counselors on special populations (the population I am hoping to work with/the focus of my research) at a day long event, as well as a presentation at a separate conference in the spring. Is it worth reaching out to my remaining POIs to tell them that I'll be adding two more presentations to my CV? This is similar to presentations that I have on my CV already... Is it better to just wait and use it as info to share if I manage to get an interview? 

1 minute ago, ItsExistential said:

Looking for an opinion: I have been asked to present to a group of 50+ school counselors on special populations (the population I am hoping to work with/the focus of my research) at a day long event, as well as a presentation at a separate conference in the spring. Is it worth reaching out to my remaining POIs to tell them that I'll be adding two more presentations to my CV? This is similar to presentations that I have on my CV already... Is it better to just wait and use it as info to share if I manage to get an interview? 

I would not email. I think most POIs assume you'll still be continuing to work on products or research throughout the application/interview process! During an interview, they may inquire about what you've been up to since your application submission or you may be able to casually mention it at an appropriate time! 

1 minute ago, psycash said:

I wonder what your opinion on this may be, one of my schools has an interview deadline listed on there in red for January 14th. Is it safe to assume that if I havent received an email yet (as they just emailed me that my GRE scores were finally updated after being stuck in limbo) that I still have a chance of receiving an invite? 

Im deeply afraid I am going to get an email for an interview about 2 weeks before the interview weekend and not have enough time to get a flight that is within my price range. 

I will say that if their invitation deadline is the 14th that you definitely have a chance because that is next Monday - you have all of this week and then Monday too! I would say you could still receive an invitation invite at any point through the remainder of next week. It is a possibility that they could invite people by that date but then people could decline the interview invitation, so then the program takes a day or two to contact people on their alternate list. If they don't have an alternate list, then they may need a few days to dip back into the applicant pool and send additional invites to other applicants. So I think the invitation deadlines on the calendar are flexible for that reason. Plus, those deadlines are program-imposed, they are not given to the programs by APA or CUDCP so that may be the date they hope to be finished sending out invitations but it may be the day after or a few days after the listed date due to unforeseen circumstances. I do think that the dates for the interview days are accurate but I think these interview notification deadlines are slightly flexible. In a previous application cycle, (I have been through multiple because my interests changed and because this process is SO competitive) I was invited to interview 12 days before the interview date. I really don't think my flight would have been much cheaper if I would have had more notice. I fly A LOT and sometimes booking airfare way in advance is cheaper but often, especially at this time of year when people are less likely to be travelling,  last minute is cheaper because the airline wants to fill the plane up. I would try not to get yourself too anxious about the possibility of receiving an invitation with only two weeks notice, it is probably not super common for programs to do that but it certainly CAN happen.

@psycash additionally, keep in mind that some programs may completely finish sending invitations to interview well in advance of the deadline listed on the CUDCP calendar. This can be gauged by looking at the results page or by messaging people who have mentioned they have been invited by a particular school because they may have some insight into if the school is done sending invites or not. For example, I have been invited to interview to one of the schools listed as having their notification deadline on January 14th and I am fairly confident they are finished sending invitations.