Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, ItsExistential said:

Looking for an opinion: I have been asked to present to a group of 50+ school counselors on special populations (the population I am hoping to work with/the focus of my research) at a day long event, as well as a presentation at a separate conference in the spring. Is it worth reaching out to my remaining POIs to tell them that I'll be adding two more presentations to my CV? This is similar to presentations that I have on my CV already... Is it better to just wait and use it as info to share if I manage to get an interview? 

Share if you get an interview. The only thing that I would maybe email a POI about this late in the game is a major change in the status of a research manuscript (e.g., from in revision to accepted, or something like that). 

Has anyone heard anything from Washington State? The calendar that's floated around here listed their deadline as Jan 15th, but I'm wondering if anyone had prelim phone interviews or heard something early. (Read as: I'm going crazy, am completely impatient, and just want the wait to end lol)

5 minutes ago, spookycat said:

Has anyone heard anything from Washington State? The calendar that's floated around here listed their deadline as Jan 15th, but I'm wondering if anyone had prelim phone interviews or heard something early. (Read as: I'm going crazy, am completely impatient, and just want the wait to end lol)

I saw someone posted an interview a little while ago but nothing since then. I'm also waiting to hear back! 

49 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

I saw someone posted an interview a little while ago but nothing since then. I'm also waiting to hear back! 

@hopefulgrad2019 and @spookycat I have a phone interview on Friday with WSU. That being said, I applied to the Prevention Science PhD program and the faculty I applied to work with was also one of my LoR writers, so I'm sure this is a little different. He did tell me the week of Dec 31 that they just started funneling applications to POIs.

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

55 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

I received an interview invite for Washington State's clinical psychology program on December 23rd. Feel free and PM me for POI.

I just received my first interview invite via email for phone interviews with two POI’s with my day/time of choosing! This was one of my very tops!! 

Quick question for you guys: I’m afraid to post anything about it on the results page (and I know I don’t have to) because it was a personal email but I’m wondering what the general consensus is on who you do and /or don’t tell that you received an offer to interview over the phone? Like is it consider rude to discuss anything about it and that’s why everyone here is so secretive about POI’s? This is my first time in the ring. 

Also how long does it take after interviews to find out? 

Im so completely blown away. This school just finished reviewing apps and no one else has posted about this school yet which is why I don’t want to say anything just yet on details 

4 minutes ago, psycash said:

I just received my first interview invite via email for phone interviews with two POI’s with my day/time of choosing! This was one of my very tops!! 

Quick question for you guys: I’m afraid to post anything about it on the results page (and I know I don’t have to) because it was a personal email but I’m wondering what the general consensus is on who you do and /or don’t tell that you received an offer to interview over the phone? Like is it consider rude to discuss anything about it and that’s why everyone here is so secretive about POI’s? This is my first time in the ring. 

Im so completely blown away. This school just finished reviewing apps and no one else has posted about this school yet which is why I don’t want to say anything just yet on details 

I think its entirely up to you. My first interview request was through a personal email from the POI, and I posted the result on the results page (without POI but dmed it if asked). But tbh its up to you. I don't see how it would hurt you though if you posted.

Edited by davidfreire20

2 minutes ago, psycash said:

I mean, it's definitely a personal choice but the likelihood of you being the ONLY applicant that heard back so far is fairly slim. I really doubt they have a way of knowing it was you specifically that posted. Also, I wonder how many professors really spend time coming to this website. I feel like it is slim to none. But again, it's totally your personal comfort level with sharing that information anonymously. 

2 minutes ago, psycash said:

I think whatever you’re comfortable with is totally fine! I think you can post without your POI, and people can ask and you can just say you are/aren’t comfortable sharing & that’s your decision! Congrats!! 

1 minute ago, round2_ said:

Do we think UCSD is done?

According to their JDP website (assuming you're talking about their SDSU-UCSD JDP for clinical), they said interview invites should be extended in mid-January. There may still be hope!

2 minutes ago, ilobebrains said:

According to their JDP website (assuming you're talking about their SDSU-UCSD JDP for clinical), they said interview invites should be extended in mid-January. There may still be hope!

I'm talking about Experimental Psych at UCSD. They say the same thing (mid January), but there were a few posts on results today. 

1 hour ago, FreudEgg said:

I think whatever you’re comfortable with is totally fine! I think you can post without your POI, and people can ask and you can just say you are/aren’t comfortable sharing & that’s your decision! Congrats!! 

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

I mean, it's definitely a personal choice but the likelihood of you being the ONLY applicant that heard back so far is fairly slim. I really doubt they have a way of knowing it was you specifically that posted. Also, I wonder how many professors really spend time coming to this website. I feel like it is slim to none. But again, it's totally your personal comfort level with sharing that information anonymously. 

1 hour ago, davidfreire20 said:

I think its entirely up to you. My first interview request was through a personal email from the POI, and I posted the result on the results page (without POI but dmed it if asked). But tbh its up to you. I don't see how it would hurt you though if you posted.

Thanks you guys! I posted it. 

FIU has started reaching out to anyone reading and wondering. I was told they have concluded their application reviews, but according to the posts on this website from previous years I think it is still very early for them

Is it a fair assumption that the schools who sent out invites mid-December are probably done? This is my second time applying with 3 years and 2 Master's degrees in between, and I'm starting to get nervous. I applied to 19 programs, and have interviewed and been accepted into one so far. Hoping for a few more interviews!

10 hours ago, JS4626 said:

Has anyone heard from Palo Alto’s Psyd program that applied at the earlier date (11/15)? Haven’t heard anything and feeling like that’s not good news at this point. 

Still waiting to hear back from them as well... 

This is awhile back, but whoever got the interview for Duke P&N CCN in December, was it in person or skype?

I talked to a PI there this week who said I'd hear more in the next couple weeks.... which seems super late for an interview notification but also early for rejection. Not sure what to think.

Looking for advice! I am trying really hard not to sound desperate and annoying while trying to remain calm and not jump to the worst case scenario. While doing a lit search for work (I am a research assistant for a psychiatry department of a prestigious hospital associated with an Ivy league medical school) I came across the work of a professor at a university in New England. Her work is pretty much an exact match to my research interests and I got incredibly excited. The deadline for this particular PhD program was January 1st, however I contacted the program director and asked if it was still possible to apply. The programs website stated that in certain circumstances they would continue to accept applications after the deadline. The woman I spoke with was super nice and incredibly helpful. She told me to reach out to the POI and see if I was a good fit for the lab. If this was the case then she would authorize the late application. I contacted the POI via email explaining the circumstances, my research interests, a little bit about myself and a copy of my CV. She answered almost immediately saying it was great to e-meet me and it sounded like we have incredibly similar interests. Then she asked if I was available to talk on the phone. I answered right away thanking her for her quick response and telling her that unfortunately I was booked for the rest of the afternoon but I would gladly make time to talk the next day (this was Monday). She never responded so I reached out yesterday to follow up. I told her I realized I was a little overeager and I didn't provide other times I was available. I let her know my schedule was pretty open this week so she could just let me know what time works best for her. Additionally, I told her that I would be in her area starting next week to do research interviews at a local mental health center and I would be more than happy to stop by her office to meet in person. She has not answered. Thoughts?? I am worried that I came across desperate/annoying and that I might have blown my chances. I also realize sending my app a week after the deadline was probably a detriment. However, I looked at her CV and realized that she was a consultant on a study I work on and she has published two papers with people I work with (small world!) which could potentially work in my favor as well. What should my next step be? Should I just sit back and cross my fingers? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! This is not my first rodeo with PhD applications and my confidence is taking a hard hit each go round.