Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Hi, sorry to post this in another second forum, but I am d y i n g. lol. If the PennState forum results poster could comment so I could message you (if youre okay with this!) I would so highly appreciate it! I have been waiting and waiting and.... waiting

...to hear back from them as I know their interview invite deadline is fast approaching!

1 minute ago, itsannat said:

I applied to nine schools and have only heard back from one.. starting to get very nervous. Anyone else in the same boat? The one response was an interview invitation but still very nervous. 

I'm in the same boat right there with you 

9 minutes ago, itsannat said:

I applied to nine schools and have only heard back from one.. starting to get very nervous. Anyone else in the same boat? The one response was an interview invitation but still very nervous. 

Same. One interview invite early on (to one of my top choices, so yay) and then nothing until today when my POI asked to pass my app on to others because they were changing their research focus. One school I applied to has a deadline tomorrow, but I have seen some invites go out from a couple of my schools, so I’m anxious.

8 minutes ago, B_Allen said:

has anyone heard from Stanford Psychology yet? Also does anyone know when they begin sending out invites for interviews?

The results page shows that it’s usually mid January.

28 minutes ago, B_Allen said:

has anyone heard from Stanford Psychology yet? Also does anyone know when they begin sending out invites for interviews?

Nothing yet! I was honestly expecting to hear back from them before the others since their application deadline was so early, but I guess not.

42 minutes ago, itsannat said:

40 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

I'm in the same boat right there with you 

Same except no interview invites. I made it to the short list at one school, but ended up not getting an interview. I'm starting to look into other options like lab manager positions at this point and lowkey debating if this is even worth it. I really don't want to have to apply again since it was so expensive this time around. Also, I know that if it's this hard to get into grad programs it'll be even harder to find a career when I get to that stage. It just sucks since academia is really the only career I can really see myself doing. Ugh I wish this process wasn't so long! I'd rather just know already if I got rejected by all the schools.

1 hour ago, itsannat said:

I've applied to many as well, but I haven't heard from any. It looks like prospectives will send invites for these schools within the next week or February 1st. Trying (and failing) to not let the anxiety get the best of me. I had to limit myself to only local schools since I cannot move (home, child, a spouse with state-specific professional licensing), and I feel like I'd have better chances if I had more POIs that aligned more with my research interests. 

Hey everyone, I'm a current Psych Phd student and wanted to send good luck your way with your applications this season. I went through this process three times (so I understand your stress) and on the third try I was finally accepted into a PhD program. Congrats to all of you who are accepted and to those that aren't I have a video of my story and tips for next time here https://youtu.be/F9yxwWgQ71g

If you have any questions feel free to send em my way. Again good luck everyone and well wishes into your journey :).

Jess

I applied to 10 programs for Social Psych or Experiential Psych PhD

i have only heard from UNLasVegas and got an interview 1/24

waiting on UCLA UCI UCR UCSD USC UCSB and UCSC

has anyone heard from this schools for interviews???

2 hours ago, B_Allen said:

I applied to the Affective area and received a phone call from my POI asking to discuss my interests. I was told that interview invites would be sent out in a little more than a week from today.

2 hours ago, socneuro said:

Nothing yet! I was honestly expecting to hear back from them before the others since their application deadline was so early, but I guess not.

Same except no interview invites. I made it to the short list at one school, but ended up not getting an interview. I'm starting to look into other options like lab manager positions at this point and lowkey debating if this is even worth it. I really don't want to have to apply again since it was so expensive this time around. Also, I know that if it's this hard to get into grad programs it'll be even harder to find a career when I get to that stage. It just sucks since academia is really the only career I can really see myself doing. Ugh I wish this process wasn't so long! I'd rather just know already if I got rejected by all the schools.

It is hard to get into grad programs, and it is hard to pursue a career in academia afterwards. But I'd rather pursue this path than work at some company that has a mission that I am not passionate about. I think going to grad school and maybe working in academia afterwards will give me a lot of meaning in life. I know that when I'm older, I'll be proud and thankful that I pursued an academic path even if I end up disliking the path. This will be my second time applying, and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to try a third time. 

10 minutes ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

I received my interview invite from UCLA in mid December. It was for developmental, but I think that social went out the same week.

7 minutes ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

Pretty sure UCSD & UCSB are done with interview invites based on the results page.

UCR has already admitted students and does a recruitment weekend rather than an in person interview.

12 minutes ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

Hi there, I think UCI and UCLA have sent out the invitations already. I don't know about other schools. Keep calm and good luck! 

Hey! Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s gonna be alright. And rankings have a weird way of dominating the admissions game, when ideally that shouldn’t be the case. Any chance you know whether Brown has or hasn’t sent out all its invites? Especially for  the social area? 

4 hours ago, itsannat said:

Same here, I have had only one interview and it is making me so nervous ? 

10 hours ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

boutta make a burner email account to anonymously ask all my programs where they're at in the review process

4 hours ago, HAC said:

Hahaha I actually have been thinking about doing the same thing ?

I did. Not sorry bout it ?

8 hours ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

UCI's interview weekend for the Dev Psych program is this upcoming week (11/13-11/14). Not sure if it is the same for all psych depts (would assume not) but I can try to get a feel when I'm there!

SDSU/UCSD applicants to the JDP in Clinical Psych--in the SDSU portal, does "Admission Status" say it's reviewing the file for initial eligibility, or program eligibility?

8 hours ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

I applied to the Affective area and received a phone call from my POI asking to discuss my interests. I was told that interview invites would be sent out in a little more than a week from today.

Hey, if you do not mind, could you share the initials of the Stanford POI that called you?? Feel free to send me a DM and thank you for sharing this info!!

47 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Hi, this is a question for those of you who have applied more than once. Were you offered any interviews the other times you applied? Just trying to gauge my chances now that I have two interviews and this is my first round! Thanks in advance :) 

I had interviews my first round and did not receive any acceptances. The feedback I got back was that I did not have as clear and concise academic/research ideas and theoretical perspectives as the other applicants - so I just felt happy that it was something I could easily develop, and that it wasn't my personality or interviewing skills that were horrible. ?

Everyone's experiences are different though. I know people who are still on their third or fourth attempt, while some people were accepted their first round! Good luck! ☺️

Edited by honeyrue
Typos, yo.