Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

On 1/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, kwilson28 said:

Has anyone heard anything from these schools/programs:

--Washington University in St. Louis (Clinical)

--Duke (Clinical)

--University of Texas at Austin (Cognitive)

--Tufts (Cognitive)

--Rice (Cognitive) 

Thanks! And good luck everyone! 

I have not heard back from WUSTL nor UT Austin. Didn't apply to any of the others! 

1 hour ago, gradapp561 said:

has anyone heard anything from the university of miami?

I never heard back, but many people have received interview invites since mid-December, so I'm presuming a rejection at this point ?

22 hours ago, Letitbedone said:

I think they finished the application review last week. I don't think the in-person invitations have made it all out yet. 

Hi, so can I ask your opinion on why some POI's may extend preliminary interviews for students when they may know already that they cant/dont have the funding for this year to take on any new, additional students? Or is that a front, and really just a nice way of saying "your prelim interview was not up to par, but your application was strong, just prelim interview lacking, perhaps?

10 minutes ago, paraent said:

i got rejected from a thing today, not a grad school but pretty similar app process

boy it stings!

I was rejected (yesterday) after a preliminary interview via skype/phone on Monday. And I thought my interview was splendid, we connected, and they told me I asked the right questions, had relevant research/clinical experience, and had a top application plus great LoR's... but they don't have the funding to take on another student. I have trouble believing they didn't already know their funding game before my interview, but thats the game of it all, its a big percentage of luck/time/who you know, so: I feel you, I thought I was in the bag with them, and then rugs pulled completely. It stings a ton, but honestly, everything happens for a reason. Humans adapt.

Edited by psychclin

3 hours ago, philopsych said:

Anyone have any updates on UW-Madison? I don't think they've sent out invites until the end of January in the past, but I'm still getting antsy. 

My POI, who's in developmental psych, emailed me on Jan 6th and invited me to an interview weekend on Feb 14-16. I don't know if this is for all areas of psych though.

12 hours ago, paraent said:

i got rejected from a thing today, not a grad school but pretty similar app process

boy it stings! feeling pretty discouraged about everything everywhere now but i imagine the feeling will pass

One fall doesn't define you or your ability to thrive. Yes, it hurts and it sucks, but just keep in mind that it's your attitude towards difficult moments what truly defines you. Accept the fall and keep going. Whatever happens, do not stop. Someone may have said no, but someone else may say yes tomorrow. 

And btw, this isn't the first time I apply to grad school and I have already been rejected by one of the programs I applied to this year. Just keep the hope alive! :)

Edited by Jae7

13 hours ago, psychclin said:

Hi, so can I ask your opinion on why some POI's may extend preliminary interviews for students when they may know already that they cant/dont have the funding for this year to take on any new, additional students? Or is that a front, and really just a nice way of saying "your prelim interview was not up to par, but your application was strong, just prelim interview lacking, perhaps?

Hm.. I am not sure. They may just not know whether they will be funded or not and extend interviews just in case? 

I remember the POI in my old lab reviewed applications even though she didn't have to accept a new student. She went into it with the mindset that if she found someone amazing, she will pull together the funds to extend a spot.

But, there could really be a million reasons! 

Advice Request:

I was invited to an interview last Friday (almost a week ago) with the option for in-person or skype; the email was from the program assistant. I responded, gratefully accepting the invitation for a skype interview and asking for information on how to schedule the interview with the specific faculty. That was 6 days ago and I have not received a response! In the initial email, they mentioned they wanted to complete the skype interview before 2/1. Should I send another email since they didn't respond or just wait it out? I am worried because 2/1 is rapidly approaching and I don't want to miss the window of opportunity for an interview.

7 minutes ago, humanisticPOV said:

Advice Request:

I was invited to an interview last Friday (almost a week ago) with the option for in-person or skype; the email was from the program assistant. I responded, gratefully accepting the invitation for a skype interview and asking for information on how to schedule the interview with the specific faculty. That was 6 days ago and I have not received a response! In the initial email, they mentioned they wanted to complete the skype interview before 2/1. Should I send another email since they didn't respond or just wait it out? I am worried because 2/1 is rapidly approaching and I don't want to miss the window of opportunity for an interview.

Wait it out. Still two whole weeks and they're coordinating. 

Why did you opt for Skype vs. in-person? Finances? Or conflicts? Those who interview in person almost always have an advantage over candidates who interview via phone/Skype ;(

@checkingmyemail Unfortunately, it conflicts with another interview. They specifically said in the invite that preference is not given to those who attend in person over those who skype; even so, it's not ideal (I'd love to attend in-person) but the other interview is for my top program! Thanks for the response.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:07 AM, Waiting272 said:

Has UNC Chapel Hill extended all of their invites already? 

Also, anyone else on the same boat(s) waiting for Harvard and Yale? 

@Waiting272

Harvard doesn't have a visiting day/recruitment day, they typically reach out to people for skype interviews all throughout Jan (and possibly early Feb). I've had a skype interview at Harvard.

36 minutes ago, humanisticPOV said:

@checkingmyemail Unfortunately, it conflicts with another interview. They specifically said in the invite that preference is not given to those who attend in person over those who skype; even so, it's not ideal (I'd love to attend in-person) but the other interview is for my top program! Thanks for the response.

Yep, I def. get it. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do! Too many conflicting interviews for me this time around but I honestly think schools should've thought/consulted with the CUPD(?, forgot the acronym) before selecting so conflicting dates in February -_-

3 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Yep, I def. get it. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do! Too many conflicting interviews for me this time around but I honestly think schools should've thought/consulted with the CUPD(?, forgot the acronym) before selecting so conflicting dates in February -_-

How do you suggest every school fit their interviews into the short time frame to conduct them without overlapping? It’s impossible to coordinate. It sucks but it is what it is. My top 3 programs all have the same interview weekend ??‍♀️

As people say, it’s the best problem to have. 

3 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

How do you suggest every school fit their interviews into the short time frame to conduct them without overlapping? It’s impossible to coordinate. It sucks but it is what it is. My top 3 programs all have the same interview weekend ??‍♀️

Um...They could've coordinated better and spread invites more out into early January and late February? Reviews/committee meetings could've taken place earlier in December? Days during the week (vs. ONLY Fridays) could've been feasible? The "alternate dates" provided could've been made during Tuesday-Thursdays?

There were multiple solutions that could've been taken into consideration ;) 

1 minute ago, checkingmyemail said:

Um...They could've coordinated better and spread invites more out into early January and late February? Reviews/committee meetings could've taken place earlier in December? Days during the week (vs. ONLY Fridays) could've been feasible? The "alternate dates" provided could've been made during Tuesday-Thursdays?

There were multiple solutions that could've been taken into consideration ;) 

I will say that I do think every program should should have alternate dates and it seems like none of my programs do ha. I guess the best thing would’ve been to have application due dates earlier so they could do what you’re suggesting. I know most programs review internship and post doc applications before graduate applications though. 

2 hours ago, Letitbedone said:

Hm.. I am not sure. They may just not know whether they will be funded or not and extend interviews just in case? 

I remember the POI in my old lab reviewed applications even though she didn't have to accept a new student. She went into it with the mindset that if she found someone amazing, she will pull together the funds to extend a spot.

But, there could really be a million reasons! 

Yeah...I had a POI tell me in October that they weren't planning on taking a student, but to apply anyway. I decided not to apply, and saw on here that they ended up scraping funding together to make an offer to someone else :~)

Another common thing is that multiple faculty may want to take on new grad students in the same year. If there are 2 spots and 4 faculty, certain faculty may take priority early in the process, but the committee may decide later on that someone else has better candidates to choose from.

1 minute ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Yeah...I had a POI tell me in October that they weren't planning on taking a student, but to apply anyway. I decided not to apply, and saw on here that they ended up scraping funding together to make an offer to someone else :~)

Another common thing is that multiple faculty may want to take on new grad students in the same year. If there are 2 spots and 4 faculty, certain faculty may take priority early in the process, but the committee may decide later on that someone else has better candidates to choose from.

Sometimes it's by lottery, too. 3 spots, 4 faculty, all want a student. And one of them can draw the short straw. Yeah, that's how I was rejected.