Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

48 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Yeah...I had a POI tell me in October that they weren't planning on taking a student, but to apply anyway. I decided not to apply, and saw on here that they ended up scraping funding together to make an offer to someone else :~)

Another common thing is that multiple faculty may want to take on new grad students in the same year. If there are 2 spots and 4 faculty, certain faculty may take priority early in the process, but the committee may decide later on that someone else has better candidates to choose from.

This is how it works at my current school. The department has a pool of money and the professors without tenure have priority in order to help them achieve tenure. After that it goes by who has students currently. My current mentor still has two current grad students while others had only one, or had just graduated their last and so told me that it would be unlikely they could take on another unless no one else wanted one, or they could scrape up funding from other sources to fund one. They did not think that would be likely.

I had a skype interview way back in December and haven't heard back since. Should I email my POI asking the status and if so, how should I word the email? HELP. Im so nervous.

Has anyone who got a phone call invite from East Tennessee State received the follow up email they mentioned yet? They called almost a week ago, and I was waiting for an email but knew I had a scheduling issue so I sent them an email letting them know I was very interested in interviewing and asking about alternate days or methods of interviewing, and still no word.. 

3 minutes ago, spookycat said:

Has anyone who got a phone call invite from East Tennessee State received the follow up email they mentioned yet? They called almost a week ago, and I was waiting for an email but knew I had a scheduling issue so I sent them an email letting them know I was very interested in interviewing and asking about alternate days or methods of interviewing, and still no word.. 

They just lost a faculty member due to brain cancer and are having a memorial this week. I think that's what the delay is due to.

Just now, paraent said:

ugh i just got an interview invite from upenn addressed to someone else
this week is really showing me no mercy

I literally had a nightmare last night that something like that happened to me. That really sucks ? 

I just spoke to someone in the psych department at Rutgers she said the faculty will be sending out interview invitations until the end of the month for clinical psychology 

Edited by AnxiouslyAwaitingDecisions

10 minutes ago, paraent said:

Kinda strange. Very few skype calls have popped up on the results page for UPenn, but this email is an invitation to a campus interview. I suppose Columbia was similar, though.

I thought Columbia haven't sent out invites yet? Clinical anyway... 

3 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

They replied above - for PhD Clinical Psych.

I do wish folks would specify. Waiting on the PsyD program :(

Yeah I was on that page, read a PM telling me differently, then responded without reading the next page. I need to stop reading this forum on my phone. Knowledge is not power. It’s just anxiety here

20 minutes ago, paraent said:

Kinda strange. Very few skype calls have popped up on the results page for UPenn, but this email is an invitation to a campus interview. I suppose Columbia was similar, though.

Oh, so did UPenn send out all their invites then? Was this for clinical or something else?

26 minutes ago, ihatedis said:

I thought Columbia haven't sent out invites yet? Clinical anyway... 

PhD in Psychology at Columbia invites went out in December; PhD in Clinical Psychology at Columbia Teacher's College invites should be going out in the next two weeks, per their website.

Just now, humanisticPOV said:

PhD in Psychology at Columbia invites went out in December; PhD in Clinical Psychology at Columbia Teacher's College invites should be going out in the next two weeks, per their website.

Whew :)