Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

3 hours ago, Clinical_PhD said:

Hi all, wondering if anyone has had experience interviewing with multiple potential POIs on interview day. I've been asked to interview with two potential mentors at one of my top choice programs, both of which I mentioned in my personal statement. In this case, the tricky part is they have somewhat divergent research interests (but both are in the field of Child Clinical Psychology broadly), so I'm not quite sure how to tackle the interview.

Of course I want to appeal to both, but don't want to stifle my chances at being admitted to the program by trying to appeal to the research interests of both mentors simultaneously. My worry is that I'll seem scatterbrained and unfocused in my research interests if I try to "cater" to the research interests of each on interview day. (i.e., saying I hope to research x with the 1st mentor and simultaneously saying I hope to research something totally different with the other....I presume they'll speak with each other, since they're both in the same subgroup of the clinical psych department.) 

Anyone else experience this before or have a solution? This being my first application cycle and being lucky enough to snag several interview offers, I've definitely got pre-interview jitters!

•  

There is no way to collaborate with both of them? You can’t find a way to combine both research areas into one research topic?

Good Morning Everyone,

If I received an email indicating that I have been wait listed for a school, but the email didn't contain any interview information, should I be prepared for a last minute interview? Just curious if I would be called last minute or if I would only hear back AFTER interviews...

1 minute ago, PsychedforPsych2 said:

Good Morning Everyone,

If I received an email indicating that I have been wait listed for a school, but the email didn't contain any interview information, should I be prepared for a last minute interview? Just curious if I would be called last minute or if I would only hear back AFTER interviews...

Were you waitlisted for admission or for an interview? If it’s for admission, I think that means they’ve already decided they want you should a spot open up.

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

Were you waitlisted for admission or for an interview? If it’s for admission, I think that means they’ve already decided they want you should a spot open up.

It just says that they are still considering my application and that i have been placed on the wait list... so i'd assume, in that case, for admission? it looks like there are also a handful of other people who were also waitlisted. 

32 minutes ago, PsychGrad2019 said:

Hi, I am new here! I have been reading all of the posts with anticipation and was wondering if anyone has heard from these schools (non-clinical programs)?

1. Tufts

2. Boston College

3. Cornell

Hi!  I didn't apply to any of these programs, but I am currently in the MA program at Tufts and have had a great experience.  If you have any questions about it feel free to DM me!

1 hour ago, PsychGrad2019 said:

Hi, I am new here! I have been reading all of the posts with anticipation and was wondering if anyone has heard from these schools (non-clinical programs)?

1. Tufts

2. Boston College

3. Cornell

Boston College's interviews are this upcoming Mon/Tues so I think they've sent all invitations out.

2 hours ago, PsychGrad2019 said:

1. Tufts

2. Boston College

3. Cornell

I’ve had a Skype interview with my POI whose initials are HLU. She said she was interviewing 5 over Skype and then picking one to bring to an on campus interview. 

1 minute ago, kwilson28 said:

I’ve had a Skype interview with my POI whose initials are HLU. She said she was interviewing 5 over Skype and then picking one to bring to an on campus interview. 

Hi I saw that you are still waiting for Florida State. I work at FSU and all of the interview invites have been extended to my knowledge as interview weekend here is next week. Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, aaronburrsir said:

For anyone getting skype interviews at Umass Boston, could you DM me the POI initials?

Thank you!!

I would also like to know the initials! I saw one of you posted them, but could the other one send them my way? Thanks!

3 hours ago, PsychGrad2019 said:

1. Tufts

2. Boston College

3. Cornell

I received an official offer to interview at Cornell! Each PI got to select one person to be invited to interview weekend. 

Can someone help put me out of my misery please!? UCLA health psych interview date is listed as Feb 1st. I live in the area but even so that seems like it’d be crazy short notice to attend an interview  if I haven’t heard by now, doesn’t it? Should I start accepting that as a rejection or still hold out hope?

8 minutes ago, olddognewtricks said:

Can someone help put me out of my misery please!? UCLA health psych interview date is listed as Feb 1st. I live in the area but even so that seems like it’d be crazy short notice to attend an interview  if I haven’t heard by now, doesn’t it? Should I start accepting that as a rejection or still hold out hope?

I can’t speak to the health psych specifically, but developmental’s interview weekend is that same date and I was invited by phone in mid December, so my guess would be they’ve sent out invites. I got my travel arrangements info around the holidays. 

Hi all! I was accepted for an interview inside a nearby city ( about an hour drive).a mass interview was sent and students have an option to stay with a graduate student.

I understand this is for those traveling from far away. Am i at a strong disadvantage to not ask for a host? Does it reflect poorly to spend the night before with the student?

I would like to be able to be remembered positively, and am afraid this one day interview does not give me enough time to make an impression vs. a student who may be coming from afar.

9 minutes ago, Gradphd123 said:

Hi all! I was accepted for an interview inside a nearby city ( about an hour drive).a mass interview was sent and students have an option to stay with a graduate student.

I understand this is for those traveling from far away. Am i at a strong disadvantage to not ask for a host? Does it reflect poorly to spend the night before with the student?

I would like to be able to be remembered positively, and am afraid this one day interview does not give me enough time to make an impression vs. a student who may be coming from afar.

I always recommend staying with a student even if you live close. This gives you additional insight into the program and the culture and many opportunities to ask questions.

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

I can’t speak to the health psych specifically, but developmental’s interview weekend is that same date and I was invited by phone in mid December, so my guess would be they’ve sent out invites. I got my travel arrangements info around the holidays. 

Thank you! I think I needed to hear that to be able to start thinking about other things. Best of luck with your upcoming interview.

Just now, 1996kayden said:

I always recommend staying with a student even if you live close. This gives you additional insight into the program and the culture and many opportunities to ask questions.

They only have limited spots available to stay. Do you believe they would look at this as selfish?