Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Just now, PhDay said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU Psychology and Social Intervention or UVA Curry School of Education - Applied Developmental Psychology?

I also applied to that program at UVA Curry and have not hear back. A grad student in my current lab checked back in her email for me and said she got an offer from there on 1/17 last year, so this upcoming week is a possibility...good luck!

5 hours ago, psychclin said:

So, I got a “tease” email today from FSU, but they did say near the end that the reviewing process had begun. (I mean, quote me if I’m wrong but I do believe they only started school back this week—and on the app status page it says the deadline for freshmen notifications is 1/31) can anyone back this up? I haven’t seen anything posted on results page about FSU and am starting to worry. But the email today was optimistic, even if it was a generic material 

I work at FSU, we started school on the 7th! Clinical interview weekend is confirmed this weekend (Jan 25-26). I hope this helps! 

On 1/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, olddognewtricks said:

Oh jeez, my nerves! Just got an email from UC Irvine.... first excitement (maybe its an invite), then dread and near vomit (its probably a rejection), then I realized it was just a generic notification acknowledging my application. You are cruel Irvine, that's just cruel... lol Anyone else holding their breath on Irvine?

I also got the generic email from Irvine. I am also waiting for their notification, but I think I'll be rejected soon...........

11 hours ago, panic said:

Does anyone know anything about interviews/deadlines for LSU's clinical program? I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

Louisiana State University's clinical program started reviewing applications on December 11, and their interview day appears to be February 1.

Edited by Temperance

Seeking advice...this is my first time applying (clinical phd), and have had presumed rejections from 4/5 schools and 1 actual rejection from my top school - I'm limited in programs considering I'm pursuing a neuropsych concentration. I have years of specialized experienced in a lab, 4 publications and a conference symposium, a great psych GRE score (recommended since I majored in neuroscience rather than psych), and great professional and educational recommendations. I do have an average GPA and gen GRE, but my GRE scores expire this August (cool) so I will be retaking and anticipate doing much better now that I'm an "adult" and can dedicate the necessary study time. So, I do plan on improving what I can at this point.

The problem: I reached out to POIs at all schools prior to applying and received green lights from all. After my top rejection, I reached out to my POI to ask for feedback/advice for my next application, and she responded "nothing in particular to improve upon, just a very competitive year." I get it...but come on. There's a reason she picked other applicants over me - why not just tell me? Unless of course it's too much of a burden to tell each individual what their application lacked, which I also understand, but what am I supposed to do with that? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, ProperBostonian said:

Seeking advice...this is my first time applying (clinical phd), and have had presumed rejections from 4/5 schools and 1 actual rejection from my top school - I'm limited in programs considering I'm pursuing a neuropsych concentration. I have years of specialized experienced in a lab, 4 publications and a conference symposium, a great psych GRE score (recommended since I majored in neuroscience rather than psych), and great professional and educational recommendations. I do have an average GPA and gen GRE, but my GRE scores expire this August (cool) so I will be retaking and anticipate doing much better now that I'm an "adult" and can dedicate the necessary study time. So, I do plan on improving what I can at this point.

The problem: I reached out to POIs at all schools prior to applying and received green lights from all. After my top rejection, I reached out to my POI to ask for feedback/advice for my next application, and she responded "nothing in particular to improve upon, just a very competitive year." I get it...but come on. There's a reason she picked other applicants over me - why not just tell me? Unless of course it's too much of a burden to tell each individual what their application lacked, which I also understand, but what am I supposed to do with that? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

From my experience applying multiple rounds, in that kind of situation, it often boils down to research match; the other candidates might have been just THAT much more aligned with their current interests or future directions. This round I received 2 interviews out of 10 applications, and I had not been in contact with PI's from either school before being offered my interviews. They're looking for people that have experience using similar methods as they often employ, and someone that has similar interests but the ability to bring new ideas or a diverse perspective. The biggest changes I made each round of applying was (1) retaking the GRE to score higher, and (2) narrowing down my interests and seeking out programs that are only a REALLY good fit, research-wise. Sorry luck was not in your favor this round :( but it sounds like you are pushing forward and know what to do to improve for next time. Don't let it get you down!

3 hours ago, ProperBostonian said:

Honestly, more than likely, I’m willing to bet she chose the candidate with connections to professors she’s familiar with. It’s a factor that can trump grades, GRE scores, publications, and research experience. That, or the program needed to fill a demographic gap. 

Question: What’s the appropriate way to reach out to a POI & ask your position on the waitlist or is this inappropriate? We spoke over the phone where I was informed I was on the waitlist and I was told to reach back out if I had any other questions. 

1 minute ago, londonbnd said:

Question: What’s the appropriate way to reach out to a POI & ask your position on the waitlist or is this inappropriate? We spoke over the phone where I was informed I was on the waitlist and I was told to reach back out if I had any other questions. 

I personally would not ask until March when all interviews have been conducted and people have time to accept/decline offers

11 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

If you didn’t hear back from a school that finished sending out interview invites, and weren’t told you were on the waitlist, is it safe to assume that’s a full rejection ?

I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. I applied to a program and noticed that people were posting interview invites on here. Then a week later I noticed people started posting rejection notifications. I hadn't received either so I called up the department and they told me I'm in an in-between list that they'll reach out to in case someone can't attend the interview weekend. AKA I'm on the waitlist, but they never notified me. Best of luck to you! 

4 hours ago, ellamarie123 said:

I haven't heard anything either. Clinical?

My friend was contacted last week from a Clinical professor and did a preliminary phone interview this morning! I think everyone is just getting around to doing that at Harvard.