Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

37 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

Just got my first rejection after interviewing at a program. I got a call from the director of the program and he explained that they could only accept 4 students from the 6 candidates that interviewed. It really sucks to know that I was one of the bottom 2 ?He also gave me some feedback and said that based on my research interests, they thought I was better suited for a school psychology (which I have applied to as well) or special education program. He also mentioned that if I had the opportunity to get additional research experience, I should. Which sucks because I have 5 summers and 3 years of research coordinator experience. I have two more interviews coming up and now I'm feeling a little nervous about those. Sorry for the Debbie Downer message. Didn't think this would get me so down. 

Lots of good energies your way. I'm sorry this was the outcome, I read on here how excited you were about this program. 

You have 2 more interviews to kick a$$ at and other programs who think your credentials are amazing. Brush it off, begin preparing for them, learn from your first interview, don't let this get to you!  ❤️  

1 hour ago, meezy123 said:

Got an email from POI inviting me to visit day, Im so excited and grateful bc its my first invite!!! She cc'd a couple other professors too. Do I reply all when I confirm my attendance or just to the POI?? Also, this might sound dumb but I'm so nervous-  what is the proper way to express excitement and confirm attendance?

Hi! I had seen your earlier post, is this for FIU or UF? If it is for FIU, would you mind sharing the POI? Thanks in advance :)

19 minutes ago, beiwo07 said:

Advice needed!

Do you guys have experience with updating new publication with the schools that you have applied to? Or is it a good idea at all? 

I was noticed yesterday that a manuscript I co-authored with my boss (my letter writer) was accepted in a very good journal. Boss kindly suggested he would like to write emails (copy me) to the schools for an update. 

I just talked to my brother-in-law (received PhD a couple years ago) about this (I received a grant, was wondering if I should update schools). He said that most admissions committees have already reviewed your application at this point. It's unlikely they'll meet again even though there's more information.

Edited by ellamarie123

27 minutes ago, beiwo07 said:

Advice needed!

Do you guys have experience with updating new publication with the schools that you have applied to? Or is it a good idea at all? 

I was noticed yesterday that a manuscript I co-authored with my boss (my letter writer) was accepted in a very good journal. Boss kindly suggested he would like to write emails (copy me) to the schools for an update. 

mmm if your boss is a prof per se then you should just follow his lead

if you're not in clinical, overall the admissions process is pretty individualized/people-focused and contacts w/ relevant profs in the labs you're interested in can pull quite a bit of weight

am p sure one of my writers for instance directly contacted at least a couple of the POIs I was interested in working under; course this was a bit more than a month ago when the process was far less developed

honestly this whole convo is giving me the feeling that maybe clinical and non-clinical psych applicants might do better with their own forums; there seems to be a really big divide in culture

Edited by paraent

2 minutes ago, Waitingwaiting1 said:

has anyone heard from 

DePaul University (Clinical Child phd)

University of Houston (Clinical phd)

University of Central Florida (Clinical phd)

Houston has sent out all invites, and I'm pretty certain DePaul has too. I don't know about Central Florida

14 minutes ago, paraent said:

if you're not in clinical, overall the admissions process is pretty individualized/people-focused and contacts w/ relevant profs in the labs you're interested in can pull quite a bit of weight

am p sure one of my writers for instance directly contacted at least a couple of the POIs I was interested in working under; course this was a bit more than a month ago when the process was far less developed

honestly this whole convo is giving me the feeling that maybe clinical and non-clinical psych applicants might do better with their own forums; there seems to be a really big divide in culture

Thats good to know, thanks! Yep im applying to non-clinical. 

40 minutes ago, ellamarie123 said:

I'm in the same boat as you (for clinical). Sent the department an email yesterday to ask if all interview requests had gone out and haven't heard back yet...

For clinical, it is likely that they were all sent out! I've got an interview there next week, so I doubt that they are still sending out invites. Sorry!

16 minutes ago, paraent said:

And a big divide in experience required, lol

2 hours ago, colo19 said:

Anyone still waiting to hear back from UNC Greensboro who received that info session email this morning saying "Join us February 4th!" How deceiving! ?

LOL I have 90% given up on getting interviews anywhere, and then I got that email and thought there was hope for a second. So mean ?

15 minutes ago, lisa2275 said:

Has anyone heard back from FIU Developmental Psychology program? I was e-mailing my POI back in December but have not heard back since and I'm getting anxious

I applied to cognitive neuro And I was told they started reviewing apps this past Friday and that we should be hearing back sometime this week or early next week. I know it's not the same area, but since we are in the non-clinical group, maybe we'll find out around the same time. Best of luck! :)

2 minutes ago, Jae7 said:

I applied to cognitive neuro And I was told they started reviewing apps this past Friday and that we should be hearing back sometime this week or early next week. I know it's not the same area, but since we are in the non-clinical group, maybe we'll find out around the same time. Best of luck! :)

Thank you so much!!

54 minutes ago, lisa2275 said:

Hi! I had seen your earlier post, is this for FIU or UF? If it is for FIU, would you mind sharing the POI? Thanks in advance :)

No problem! FIU, poi is SP

My mentor just let me know that my POI from Washington State called him "sometime in January" about my application as the POI wanted to take it to the board when discussing who to interview. Now my brain is constructing (conspiracy) theories about how I may still get an invite even though I've heard from people on this forum that all invites have been extended. Just when I had finished mourning I get drawn back into this false hope! 

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

Lots of good energies your way. I'm sorry this was the outcome, I read on here how excited you were about this program. 

You have 2 more interviews to kick a$$ at and other programs who think your credentials are amazing. Brush it off, begin preparing for them, learn from your first interview, don't let this get to you!  ❤️  

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Very sweet of you ❤️Good luck on your interviews!

42 minutes ago, spookycat said:

My mentor just let me know that my POI from Washington State called him "sometime in January" about my application as the POI wanted to take it to the board when discussing who to interview. Now my brain is constructing (conspiracy) theories about how I may still get an invite even though I've heard from people on this forum that all invites have been extended. Just when I had finished mourning I get drawn back into this false hope! 

Whaaaat?! This is good hopeful news (maybe?!?!) 

I had given up hope on this program as well, but some invites did go out in February last year...sigh..

P.S. is it common for POI's to reach out to letter writers? or mentors? 

Edited by justacigar
so many questions

I know a similar question has been asked, but I don’t remember which thread and am looking for some feedback! 

I was invited to interview at a school that is in the city where I live. The school knows I live locally and referenced it in my invite. After my invite, I got a message from a current student going over some details for the interview weekend and about setting up accommodations if I’m coming from out of town (it says feel free to ignore if you live locally). They offer to set you up to stay with a grad student if you’re coming from out of town. When this was discussed on one of these threads earlier, I remember people saying to stay with a student if given the opportunity. However, in this case, does it seem like I should not set that up? I live less than 4 miles away. There is a dinner with current students the night before interview day, and obviously I’m going that that. 

What do you guys think? I think I’m overthinking everything bc I’m so excited/ anxious!! 

Edited by FreudEgg