Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

26 minutes ago, thissucks said:

UMKC formal invites go out next week. Source: informal invite this week

What do you mean by informal invites? Will the people in the short list receive an email from their POIs this week and then the formal invite from the program director next week??

Thank you for the update!!

Just now, Jae7 said:

What do you mean by informal invites? Will the people in the short list receive an email from their POIs this week and then the formal invite from the program director next week??

Thank you for the update!!

Yes, people should hear from POIs this week but this may not be the case for everyone.  Formal invites will be sent to everyone next week so just hold out for a week if you don't hear anything by Friday.

39 minutes ago, thissucks said:

Yes, people should hear from POIs this week but this may not be the case for everyone.  Formal invites will be sent to everyone next week so just hold out for a week if you don't hear anything by Friday.

Thank you for that!! :)

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

P.S. is it common for POI's to reach out to letter writers? or mentors? 

I don't know how common it is.  However, anecdotally, I have heard of it happening when the POI called a letter writer to solicit additional information about the applicant, but it didn't result in an interview.  This may or may not be applicable in your case, as it depends on what your mentor said and what the POI was seeking.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

I know a similar question has been asked, but I don’t remember which thread and am looking for some feedback! 

I was invited to interview at a school that is in the city where I live. The school knows I live locally and referenced it in my invite. After my invite, I got a message from a current student going over some details for the interview weekend and about setting up accommodations if I’m coming from out of town (it says feel free to ignore if you live locally). They offer to set you up to stay with a grad student if you’re coming from out of town. When this was discussed on one of these threads earlier, I remember people saying to stay with a student if given the opportunity. However, in this case, does it seem like I should not set that up? I live less than 4 miles away. There is a dinner with current students the night before interview day, and obviously I’m going that that. 

What do you guys think? I think I’m overthinking everything bc I’m so excited/ anxious!! 

In general, I think it is good to stay with a grad student, but since you live so close I don't think it would be worth it. I would personally prefer the comfort of my own home if I'm that close to the university. If you lived further (an hour or so away) then I would definitely stay with a student. Just my opinion though ?

On 1/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, SC9016 said:

Posted this in another group, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anyone!

Please PM me or reply (With PI initials!) if you have any news regarding:

CU Boulder, Duke, UT Austin, Northwestern, U minn (not child), U Pitt, Wash U

This is all for social/personality, so I can't speak for any of the other areas, but: 

WashU sent out all of their interviews earlier this month and they're having interviews on the 31st of January. 

UT Austin is in the still in the process of reviewing applications and will hold interviews February and March (I emailed them on Friday so I can't guarantee this is still true). I know last application cycle they sent rejection emails to the bottom 50% of the applicant pool and interview invites to the top few percent. The rest were essentially considered "waitlisted". 

My PI initials were MS for WashU and SG for UT Austin. 

1 hour ago, psychhealth101 said:

In general, I think it is good to stay with a grad student, but since you live so close I don't think it would be worth it. I would personally prefer the comfort of my own home if I'm that close to the university. If you lived further (an hour or so away) then I would definitely stay with a student. Just my opinion though ?

My thoughts too! Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, CCVAN said:

Hi all!   Has anyone heard from UC Davis? Either invite to interview or rejection? They are supposed to send all invites today.

Nope! I've been waiting all day so now pretty disappointed:/ But it looks like pretty much nobody heard today so maybe they're just late? Will you let me know if you hear?

1 minute ago, junior313 said:

Nope! I've been waiting all day so now pretty disappointed:/ But it looks like pretty much nobody heard today so maybe they're just late? Will you let me know if you hear?

Yeah, that is what I thought too. Hope that is the case!  Someone posted on the results page they got rejected today, but I don´t know if it was PI email or from the university. --For sure, I would let you know as soon as I hear something. Hope you also me know if you hear something haha. Good luck.  :) 

7 hours ago, Waitingwaiting1 said:

has anyone heard from 

DePaul University (Clinical Child phd)

University of Houston (Clinical phd)

University of Central Florida (Clinical phd)

I believe DePaul has extended their invites, and their Interview Day is on 2/11.

4 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

I know a similar question has been asked, but I don’t remember which thread and am looking for some feedback! 

I was invited to interview at a school that is in the city where I live. The school knows I live locally and referenced it in my invite. After my invite, I got a message from a current student going over some details for the interview weekend and about setting up accommodations if I’m coming from out of town (it says feel free to ignore if you live locally). They offer to set you up to stay with a grad student if you’re coming from out of town. When this was discussed on one of these threads earlier, I remember people saying to stay with a student if given the opportunity. However, in this case, does it seem like I should not set that up? I live less than 4 miles away. There is a dinner with current students the night before interview day, and obviously I’m going that that. 

What do you guys think? I think I’m overthinking everything bc I’m so excited/ anxious!! 

Since they included the part saying feel free to ignore the offer if you are local, I would stay at your own place. I normally fully encourage the opportunity to stay with a current student, but if I were a current student hosting an applicant, I would feel kind of weird about someone within the same city wanting to stay with me despite not actually needing somewhere to stay. In my interview experiences, none of the applicants were actually local, so I would assume the offer is intended for those traveling.

Congratulations, and best of luck!!

9 hours ago, ellamarie123 said:

I had a friend who applied last year who interviewed in late feb and got waitlisted and didn't find out she actually got accepted until like early april....they seem to just do whatever they want at Harvard.

Hey, thank you so much for this information! I’m beginning to feel a little hopeful now and only because of you. ?

On 1/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, AlexandraF said:

Some updates: I emailed Buffalo and heard that the admissions officer is waiting to hear back whether all invites were extended. 

FDU sent an email last wk that they should all be extended by tomorrow, and LIU Brooklyn said hopefully by the end of the week. 

I think USC has been extended right? Anyone know about stony brook? 

I received an on campus interview invite for Stony Brook's social and health psychology program last week. 

9 minutes ago, DyingInside said:

Im sure I did not make the cut, but any word from Carnegie Mellon Health Psychology or UCLA Health Psychology? Im dying over not hearing back :(

I think UCLA health psychology has sent out their invites... Unfortunately .. They send out invites usually 2 weeks before the interview date 

10 minutes ago, Jessica W said:

I think UCLA health psychology has sent out their invites... Unfortunately .. They send out invites usually 2 weeks before the interview date 

Ugh, I think you are right. It is really a shame, I felt it had a very strong fit: master's degrees, 4.0 GPA, publications, and strong recs. It was my top program... can't win them all I suppose.

7 hours ago, psychizkool said:

Since they included the part saying feel free to ignore the offer if you are local, I would stay at your own place. I normally fully encourage the opportunity to stay with a current student, but if I were a current student hosting an applicant, I would feel kind of weird about someone within the same city wanting to stay with me despite not actually needing somewhere to stay. In my interview experiences, none of the applicants were actually local, so I would assume the offer is intended for those traveling.

Congratulations, and best of luck!!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your input :)

20 hours ago, luna314 said:

I don't know for sure, I did a Skype interview. But I would say never lose hope, I just heard back from NYU for the open house! I thought all of the invitations were already sent out...

Which program at NYU did you hear back from>