University of Maryland? 

Seton Hall? 

Columbia?

NYU? 

Leigh? 

Fordham? 

Or Rutgers dual Social Work degree? 

Good luck to all!

There's posts about people receiving Counseling Psychology PhD interviews for: NYU, UMD (College Park), Seton Hall, Columbia (Teacher's College) and Leigh. 

I saw these on the "Results" tab of TGC, you can search counseling psychology and the school name; also on this open google doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/edit#gid=0

When people are willing to share more information, they typically post in one of the "Interview invites" threads, I'll bet counseling psych has one too!

Edited by humanisticPOV
hit enter before finishing my post, whoops!

47 minutes ago, refreshing_email said:

I emailed admissions and the associate director replied “Invitations to interview have been sent.  After interviews have been conducts all decisions will be sent to applicants.  However, only those invited to interview are still under consideration for admission. 

so I interpret that as all have been sent already 

Dang. for counseling Psychology PhD? 

47 minutes ago, paraent said:

Looking to hear about University of Virginia and Brown. Non-clinical. Anyone hear from either about an on-campus invite? 

Not sure what department you’re interested in, but I know that social and I believe developmental have gone out.

@9 of cups

Yes for Counseling Psychology PhD; this site has a tab where you can search for and submit your results. Here's the link for Counseling Psychology: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=counseling+psychology&t=a&o=

There's also results for UMD (College Park), Seton Hall, Columbia (Teacher's College) and Leigh. I accidentally submitted my previous post too early. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if that's the case. Keep your head up and be proud of all the hard work it took just to get your applications in! YOU ARE AWESOME

1 hour ago, 9 of cups said:

hey all, 

Anyone know anything about Counseling Psych: 

University of Maryland? 

Seton Hall? 

Columbia?

NYU? 

Leigh? 

Fordham? 

Or Rutgers dual Social Work degree? 

Good luck to all!

Got an email on Friday (1/25) from Seton Hall. Haven’t heard from UMD, Columbia or Fordham 

35 minutes ago, ellamarie123 said:

From what I can tell, yes. There is no official interview day, it's all up to the professor. At least that's what I was told when I called them this morning.

whoa that's a surprise... Dunno whether non-clinical is the same. Thanks for the information! 

Has anyone heard anything new from Teachers College/Columbia University's clinical psychology PhD program that they'd be willing to share on this thread or in a PM? Today someone said they heard from their POI to learn they would not be having an interview via mass email, while another wrote they were waitlisted (and asked for the others' POI initials). It has been complete crickets on my end, so I'm not sure what to think. ?

33 minutes ago, 9 of cups said:

Who’s yr PoI at seton and what kind of qualifications /GRE you working with?

does seton fund?

PoI at Seton is M.L. GRE scores weren’t the best ??. I have my MA in psych and about 4 years of research experience, including pubs and conference presentations. 

From what I understand, Seton funds through GA positions

1 hour ago, ellamarie123 said:

From what I can tell, yes. There is no official interview day, it's all up to the professor. At least that's what I was told when I called them this morning.

bruh Harvard's playing games with my head DECLINE ME ALREADDDYYYY

17 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

This may seem like a dumb question but is University of Virginia the same as Curry School of Education - UVA in terms of applying for clinical psychology? I see both names used and idk if theyre different

Nah. Curry clinical is school psych. Arts & sciences also has a clinical program

1 minute ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Nah. Curry clinical is school psych. Arts & sciences also has a clinical program

Ohhh thank you so much for that clarification. I haven't seen much posted in the results page about just UVA it usually just says Curry

5 hours ago, humanisticPOV said:

1) Be OVERPREPARED! Read the program handbook multiple times, familiarize yourself with the research of your POI but also with the research their students are currently doing, look at their lab website and student/professor bios. Pro tip: search all the government funding databases (NIH, NIMH, etc.) to see what projects are currently funded for the POI you're interviewing with; in my experience, professors are always impressed if you know about projects they haven't published yet. Also check out "Mitch's uncensored advice to applying to graduate school in clinical psychology" (http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf), specifically Section 3 about interviews.

2) Be yourself. The best way to stand out is by being authentic and honest about your experiences/interests. If you don't have experience with a certain method or analysis technique, say so, and do not misrepresent your interests or abilities. Personally, I don't try to tailor my research proposals to specific PI's because I want to show that I would research that topic even if I wasn't in their lab, that it's something I'm passionate about and committed to researching. It shows you've developed your interests enough to have a solid direction you want to embark on (and hopefully the professors you applied to work with are already a good match for your interests, without you needing to tailor yours to match theirs). Additionally, some professors will ask you very specific questions about your research interests or potential projects you would want to work on and if it isn't something you've already spent a lot of time thinking about or researching, you would likely be unprepared for those types of questions.

3) Make it more of a conversation than an interview. Professors are not only interested in your knowledge of the field and match with their projects, but they want to know that they would enjoy working with you closely for many years and that you would make a good addition to their lab, from a social/cultural perspective. My mentors repeatedly refer to interviews as "the a--hole test"; just demonstrate that you have good social skills and that you're not afraid to speak your mind or ask questions (read: DONT BE AN A--HOLE).

4) Weave your answers into your experiences. Instead of giving a direct answer to a question, demonstrate your answer by talking about an experience you've had or an opportunity that exemplifies your answer. (Example: If asked to "Describe your work ethic", instead of saying "I'm responsible, hard-working and dedicated", talk about how you took on additional responsibilities for a certain project or some professional development that you've done to build healthy work habits). This kind of response answers the question while also giving more information about your interests/experiences. These kinds of answers also help to make the interview seem like more of a conversation than a "formal interview". If you have a TON of past experience, try to pick your 2-3 most relevant experiences to elaborate on for the interview instead of attempting to give an overview of your complete work experience, and refer back to these experiences as often as possible! (interviews are usually relatively short, an hour max, so you don't want to run out of time talking about everything you did 5 years ago before getting to your more recent/relevant experiences). Stay calm, be confident in your responses and tone of voice, and I'm sure you will do GREAT! GOOD LUCK :) 

Thank you so much!!!

On 1/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, junior313 said:

Oh that's strange - on the email, it said they would notify by 1/23, I think. Did you get that email too? I applied to the cognitive area. Thanks for letting me know though

Yes, I also got that e-mail. Maybe we are waitlisted? But who knows...

Does anyone have any experience having done a phone interview and then going to a "visit day" interview? Like they already asked me about my research interests and about my life and stuff how is it set up? Is it just the same questions but now in person? I don't want to repeat myself or sound redundant.

9 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

Does anyone have any experience having done a phone interview and then going to a "visit day" interview? Like they already asked me about my research interests and about my life and stuff how is it set up? Is it just the same questions but now in person? I don't want to repeat myself or sound redundant.

The person who had the phone interview with you won't ask those questions again, but the other faculty will. In my experience, the other faculty ask generic canned questions that you'd find on a list, e.g., about overlap and why you applied, etc. 

7 minutes ago, 21n14l said:

The person who had the phone interview with you won't ask those questions again, but the other faculty will. In my experience, the other faculty ask generic canned questions that you'd find on a list, e.g., about overlap and why you applied, etc. 

In your experience how does it work in terms of faculty interviewing you who aren't your POI? Is it usually more than one? Did you look up their research too or just your POI?

35 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

In your experience how does it work in terms of faculty interviewing you who aren't your POI? Is it usually more than one? Did you look up their research too or just your POI?

I just got my interview schedule and I’m meeting with 3 professors who are not my POI and a couple are also not people I listed as alternates. I’m planning to read some of their most recent work. I’m also meeting with 4 grad students, some of other professors I’m not meeting with, so I’m going to read a bit about their labs too.