Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

16 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

I feel like interview invites have gone out for everywhere at this point...

Definitely feels that way, especially when I keep refreshing the results page every few minutes. But some are still extending! Every time I think one of my programs is finished, it looks like someone new heard something. Don't lose hope unless you know for sure. :)

17 hours ago, olddognewtricks said:

I am so here for this. My schools are already done with interviews or have posted interview days this week (which I am clearly not invited to) and still I cant let it go. Its like there's a little endless optimist/masochist deep down in my soul that keeps saying "hey, that next email will be the one!" - I need to see a firm rejection to kick start this mourning and moving on phase .

If anyone is interviewing at UCLA on Friday congratulations -  please tell me, that'll help nail the coffin on that one!

Hahahaha I understand that feeling. I saw people posting about Fairleigh Dickinson last week and even though it likely signaled bad news for me, I hoped I would still hear something. "Maybe the interviews go out in waves," I told myself. Getting the actual rejection yesterday was sad, but provided the closure I needed to let it go. :P I wish all schools could let you know that quickly.

I have one PhD program that I've seen nothing from. In previous years they sent out invites in early January. I've tried to be patient, but I think I'm going to contact them if there's no posts by the end of next week. Does anyone have any advice on inquiring about the status of applications?

2 hours ago, PsychGal said:

Anyone have info on Northwestern Feinberg, St. John’s, or University of a Washington (Seattle) for clinical psych interview invites? Hard to know their timeline!

Northwestern Feinberg said invites should go out by this Friday. Someone posted recently that someone they know believes the invite emails will go out on Friday.

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Um. I saw that people were getting officially rejected from Duke today, but they haven't officially rejected me yet....I would like for them to do that for my peace of mind.

Do you know which program it is? I haven't heard anything official either but was told I was an alternate for a PI so I'm expecting a waitlist notification.. 

45 minutes ago, round2_ said:

Do you know which program it is? I haven't heard anything official either but was told I was an alternate for a PI so I'm expecting a waitlist notification.. 

No, both of the results entries just say psychology. I haven't heard anything official or unofficial so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a rejection as well, but I logged onto my portal and there was nothing.

I just received my confirmation for running the Boston Marathon this year (?). Which btw happens to be on April 15th. I grew up in Boston so that Monday has ALWAYS been Patriots Day. But now it's The Fate of My Professional Career Day. 

tbh, I just want to fast forward 3 months so I can know my fate  ?

Edited by FreudEgg

17 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

I just received my confirmation for running the Boston Marathon this year (?). Which btw happens to be on April 15th. I grew up in Boston so that Monday has ALWAYS been Patriots Day. But now it's The Fate of My Professional Career Day. 

tbh, I just want to fast forward 3 months so I can know my fate  ?

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

So I’ve heard something from all my programs except for the the University of Minnesota for the Counseling PhD. Any info that y’all might have would be great? When is their admitted students day cause then i can just assume rejection based on that! 

21 minutes ago, ommm232 said:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!! I can't react to any more posts today bc Grad Cafe obviously doesn't grasp the importance of support in times of stress ?

22 minutes ago, ommm232 said:

So I’ve heard something from all my programs except for the the University of Minnesota for the Counseling PhD. Any info that y’all might have would be great? When is their admitted students day cause then i can just assume rejection based on that! 

Honestly, and people may have other opinions, I don't think it's awful to reach out to the school and politely inquire about the status of your application. If you're uncomfortable doing that, you could call admissions anonymously and just ask if all the invites for interviews have gone out. Good luck!

The folks who posted that they received rejections from Washington University... do you mean in St. Louis, or University of!! the Ambiguity is killing me!! Thank you!!!!!

Applied: University of Georgia (Clinical PhD), University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign (Clinical/Community PhD) , Stony Brook University (Clinical PhD), Washington University in St. Louis (Clinical PhD), University of Pennsylvania (Clinical Psych PhD), University of Nebraska (Clinical PhD), University of Memphis (Clinical PhD), University of Connecticut (Clinical PhD), Harvard University (Clinical PhD) University of Massachusetts - Boston (Clinical PhD), University of Washington (Clinical PhD), University of Houston (Clinical PhD) ,  Case Western Reserve (Clinical PhD), University of Rhode Island (Clinical PhD)

[Accepted 1/11] [Interview 3/11[Rejected 0/11] [Waitlisted 0/11]

17 minutes ago, gottogetthatphd said:

The folks who posted that they received rejections from Washington University... do you mean in St. Louis, or University of!! the Ambiguity is killing me!! Thank you!!!!!

WUSTL - mass email directing me to check the portal for my admission decision

Just now, crossallmyfingers said:

WUSTL - mass email directing me to check the portal for my admission decision

Ok! Thank you for sharing! I have not been invited for an interview, but I also did not get a rejection email so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 hours ago, gottagetthedata said:

Hey yall! Does anyone have any information about how many applications University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL) received this year for their Clinical Psych Ph.D. program? Or how many interview slots were extended? (I don't see any admissions info online for any year)

And what about for University of South Alabama's Clinical-Counseling Psych Ph.D. program?

Just a first-time interviewer tryna see her odds. Thank you!!

Just interviewed at UMSL. They told us they received approximately 175 applications (IIRC) this year and are interviewing less than 40. - I would assume that's how many accepted interivews; not sure how many they extended or if that's actually how many. Their first interview day was Monday (1/28) and their next is this weekend.

Well. No interview weekend for me! My flight was canceled, rebooked, and canceled again. Fortunately there is another applicant who couldn’t come for the weekend and so I’m able to come meet my POI and a couple other people on Monday, (and miss a midterm!) but I won’t get to have the whole experience. Thanks polar vortex!

57 minutes ago, panic said:

Just interviewed at UMSL. They told us they received approximately 175 applications (IIRC) this year and are interviewing less than 40. - I would assume that's how many accepted interivews; not sure how many they extended or if that's actually how many. Their first interview day was Monday (1/28) and their next is this weekend.

Awesome thank you!! I'm interviewing on Friday. Did they mention how many slots they're filling this year? 

13 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

So from the mail I got from UMSL, They had 160 applications and they're filling 5 slots. If they interview 3 students for each slot, we're looking at 15. If they interview 5 for each slot, you're looking at 25 persons.

P.S: I didn't get an interview.

Do you mind messaging me this info copied & pasted from the mail? I haven't seen this info anywhere so I'm intrigued! Thank you :)

3 hours ago, gottagetthedata said:

Awesome thank you!! I'm interviewing on Friday. Did they mention how many slots they're filling this year? 

Not explicitly, as far as I can remember. From their website, just about every faculty member is taking at least one person, so I think 6? In-person the director mentioned they typically take between 5-7. The first-year cohort there now has 5. Have fun at the interview! It was a good experience.

Edited by panic

14 minutes ago, shockwave457 said:

Any advice on not feeling awkward that you'll be at a dinner with someone else vying for the same position during interview day? (I know it's probably pretty common but it's stressing me out)

Unless you know otherwise, your POI could be taking 2 people and they could be your future lab mate. No matter what, they're your future colleague and it's a good opportunity to make a contact at your same level interested in the same sorts of things.