Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

16 minutes ago, round2_ said:

Unless you know otherwise, your POI could be taking 2 people and they could be your future lab mate. No matter what, they're your future colleague and it's a good opportunity to make a contact at your same level interested in the same sorts of things. 

How common is it for a POI to have enough access to funding to take two people?

14 minutes ago, shockwave457 said:

I mean, if they're just starting out/newer, they might want to grow their lab asap and take more than one person :) I'm not sure how common it is but its def a possibility!

47 minutes ago, shockwave457 said:

No idea. Two I've talked to this year have mentioned wanting 2 students. Another had 3 current students in the same cohort. Even if they only planned to take 1, another student or postdoc could get a fellowship or they get a new grant and decide they really liked both. ....that just probably won't happen if you're glaring down the other applicant the whole time.

In general, I feel like it's best to approach interviews more like a conference than a competition. You're just there to chat about good science and (maybe) see a new area of the country - with the PIs, the other applicants, the current grad students, whatever.

Edited by round2_

for those who are receiving offers of acceptance congrats! have you guys replying back right away (thanking them for the offer and that you will let them know of your decision) or waiting a little while until your other interviews are done?

12 hours ago, shockwave457 said:

Any advice on not feeling awkward that you'll be at a dinner with someone else vying for the same position during interview day? (I know it's probably pretty common but it's stressing me out)

I always just think of everyone there as potential friends with clearly similar interests who are going through the same exciting/stressful situation as I am. It's exciting meeting people whose interests and experiences align so closely with mine. It's not a competition, it's a somewhat mutual selection process, so even if the PI picks them over me then I'm happy for them because they must have been a great match for each other.

Has anyone heard from LR at UMass Boston? Thank you!!

Applied: University of Georgia (Clinical PhD), University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign (Clinical/Community PhD) , Stony Brook University (Clinical PhD), Washington University in St. Louis (Clinical PhD), University of Pennsylvania (Clinical Psych PhD), University of Nebraska (Clinical PhD), University of Memphis (Clinical PhD), University of Connecticut (Clinical PhD), Harvard University (Clinical PhD) University of Massachusetts - Boston (Clinical PhD), University of Washington (Clinical PhD), University of Houston (Clinical PhD) ,  Case Western Reserve (Clinical PhD), University of Rhode Island (Clinical PhD)

[Accepted 1/11] [Interview 3/11[Rejected 0/11] [Waitlisted 0/11]

I just have a general questions about emails to check school websites for status of application. I have been seeing these on the results page for clinical psychology (UNC, URochester, etc) and at this point I'm pretty sure I am rejected from these schools. However, I have not gotten those mass rejection emails yet. I know Rochester was from a while ago too. 

Does anyone know why? Just out of curiosity!! 

1. Thoughts on asking a POI for an updated copy of their CV in an email? I was invited to an interview and want to knock a few of my questions out of the way so I don't waste time asking them about stuff on their CV

2. If the POI signs off an email with First name (shortened) + Last name, do you refer to them in your first communication as Dr. Last name or their first name shortened?

Edited by 21n14l

19 minutes ago, Waiting272 said:

I just have a general questions about emails to check school websites for status of application. I have been seeing these on the results page for clinical psychology (UNC, URochester, etc) and at this point I'm pretty sure I am rejected from these schools. However, I have not gotten those mass rejection emails yet. I know Rochester was from a while ago too. 

Not sure why but similarly I noticed UNC rejections being posted a week or so ago from a mass email and I didn't receive mine until yesterday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, psych5ever said:

for those who are receiving offers of acceptance congrats! have you guys replying back right away (thanking them for the offer and that you will let them know of your decision) or waiting a little while until your other interviews are done?

I think giving them a quick response/thank you/ is fine! They understand that we don't have to make final decisions until April 15th, and they probably assume you have other interviews anyway since it's pretty early in the season. For my case, I didn't really have to make that decision because I was told over the phone and they acknowledged that I have until 4/15 to give my answer.

3 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Hmmm. More clinical people are getting their official rejections from Duke but I am not clinical and still have not heard anything...

That was me... until I literally just got a generic email from them to check the website. I guess they are just sending them out in waves at this point.

Edited by anxiouscoffeedrinker

2 hours ago, Waiting272 said:

I go to undergrad at the University of Rochester and I just received an email about the most recent brown bag event on Friday that states people who are housing psych interviewees should bring them along. I'm out of town for my own interviews right now, but I think that means their interviews must be this weekend. I realize that doesn't directly answer your question, but I'm guessing it means a no for you.

Edited by JaniceMontgomery
more info

6 hours ago, 21n14l said:

1. Thoughts on asking a POI for an updated copy of their CV in an email? I was invited to an interview and want to knock a few of my questions out of the way so I don't waste time asking them about stuff on their CV

2. If the POI signs off an email with First name (shortened) + Last name, do you refer to them in your first communication as Dr. Last name or their first name shortened?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Is there no other way to obtain the CV? A lot of POIs will have their CV either on their faculty web page or on their own website. There's usually information about their recent publications somewhere as well. If it's your last resort, I think you can, but you don't want it to seem like you haven't looked around.

2. I personally would never call a POI or another professor by anything other than Dr. Last Name until they specifically told me to call them something else.

Anyway, just my opinions. Good luck!!

10 hours ago, psych5ever said:

I answered right away expressing my excitement at the acceptance and told them I would notify them of my decision.