Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Despite my presumed rejections... I finally took a leap of faith and contacted the psych departments at the schools I have yet to hear back from. I’ve gotten one response so far. I don’t know if anyone else is waiting on GaTech Cognition and Brain Science but here’s the response:

Applications for the Ph.D. program are still being reviewed by faculty.  If you are selected or denied you will be notified through the College Net system.  Thank for contacting the School of Psychology at Georgia Tech.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, ommm232 said:

So I’ve heard something from all my programs except for the the University of Minnesota for the Counseling PhD. Any info that y’all might have would be great? When is their admitted students day cause then i can just assume rejection based on that! 

Any word on this so far? I'm waiting to hear from them as well.

Just sitting in my office and looking out the window at my top school (I can see it from my desk) on the day they do interviews for my top program. Sigggghhhhhh. So close and yet so f-ing far! How’s everyone else dealing with their presumed rejections and disappointment?!

19 minutes ago, olddognewtricks said:

Just sitting in my office and looking out the window at my top school (I can see it from my desk) on the day they do interviews for my top program. Sigggghhhhhh. So close and yet so f-ing far! How’s everyone else dealing with their presumed rejections and disappointment?!

Honestly, youre in the same boat as me! Ill be giving lab tours to perspective phd students (who got interviews)-- sooo freaking CLOSE!

I am still hoping to hear back ~something~ from UMB, but at this point... Im presuming rejection.

Just got to train myself to refocus that energy!! But I feel you, dude!

1 hour ago, ICanCYourHalo said:

Has anyone heard from USC (Clinical Science)? Or UC Santa Barbara (Clinical PSYC)? I am pretty much losing hope to receive an invite to an interview at this point. 

Someone mentioned previously (don't remember if it was on this board or another) that USC has already extended their invites since their interviews are today (February 1st), but they MAY continue to extend interviews into mid-February. I'm in the same boat as you, guess we just have to hold tight ?

Edited by anxiouscoffeedrinker

I have a last minute application and one of my letter writers is currently on sabbatical. They did not upload their letter in time and I can’t reach them. I’ve been offered the chance to have another person write me a letter, but I’m at a loss. Is it appropriate to have my undergraduate advisor write me a letter? Or is that not an acceptable person?

5 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

I have a last minute application and one of my letter writers is currently on sabbatical. They did not upload their letter in time and I can’t reach them. I’ve been offered the chance to have another person write me a letter, but I’m at a loss. Is it appropriate to have my undergraduate advisor write me a letter? Or is that not an acceptable person?

I think as long as your undergraduate advisor can speak to your strengths and knows you well enough to write you a good letter, that's absolutely fine! My undergraduate professor/thesis advisor wrote me a letter of rec.

POI emailed me a few days after a skype interview saying that the department faculty is recommending me for admission and that the graduate school will review my application more and give a decision in the few weeks. Also invited me to campus and said that the graduate school does accept departments recommendations, except in unusual circumstances. Does this mean I can finally  breathe now or is there a chance that it can do downhill??

2 minutes ago, meezy123 said:

POI emailed me a few days after a skype interview saying that the department faculty is recommending me for admission and that the graduate school will review my application more and give a decision in the few weeks. Also invited me to campus and said that the graduate school does accept departments recommendations, except in unusual circumstances. Does this mean I can finally  breathe now or is there a chance that it can do downhill??

VERY VERY rare circumstances. If you don't meet min requirements (GPA, GRE) then they would not give you an offer (although I assume the psych department already ensured you meet requirements). Congratulations!! :) 

4 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

VERY VERY rare circumstances. If you don't meet min requirements (GPA, GRE) then they would not give you an offer (although I assume the psych department already ensured you meet requirements). Congratulations!! :) 

Thank you!! I'm so excited! It's a human development program but POI's research is an EXACT match to my interests

Hi all! I am an international student so I am not very familiarized with the application process. I would really appreicate if you could give me your opinion on whether if I have not heard from the following universities it very likely means I will be rejected. I haven´t been contacted for skype neither on campus visit. Has anyone been interviewd via Skype for these? Or invited on campus?  Thanks a lot!!

McGill (Experimental) 

Rice (cognitive and affective neuroscience)

UBC (social psychology)

UT Austin (social psychology)

USC (social psychology)

10 hours ago, CCVAN said:

Hi all! I am an international student so I am not very familiarized with the application process. I would really appreicate if you could give me your opinion on whether if I have not heard from the following universities it very likely means I will be rejected. I haven´t been contacted for skype neither on campus visit. Has anyone been interviewd via Skype for these? Or invited on campus?  Thanks a lot!!

McGill (Experimental) 

Rice (cognitive and affective neuroscience)

UBC (social psychology)

UT Austin (social psychology)

USC (social psychology)

I haven't heard from UT Austin yet but I know their interviews are in February and March (not sure of the exact date unfortunately). I have a few friends who applied there as well who haven't heard anything either. 

I received an email from UVA-Curry to check my status and assumed it was the official rejection. However, it turned out to be a notification to let me know that I have been "waitlisted for admission" and that they will contact me if an opening occurs. This is my one of my top schools so I am at least hopeful and happy that I wasn't rejected straight away. Has anyone been waitlisted prior to interviews? What should I expect as someone who has been waitlisted? Is this in case they have openings after their Feb 8th interview?