Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

8 hours ago, nboehm said:

I haven't heard from UT Austin yet but I know their interviews are in February and March (not sure of the exact date unfortunately). I have a few friends who applied there as well who haven't heard anything either. 

Thanks for the info! ;)

I was wondering if professors are generally okay with accepting students who want to take a different take on their research/expertise, like bring their own interests that the professor hasn't explored but still relating it to the professors research? hope that makes sense

8 minutes ago, meezy123 said:

I was wondering if professors are generally okay with accepting students who want to take a different take on their research/expertise, like bring their own interests that the professor hasn't explored but still relating it to the professors research? hope that makes sense

Generally, from what I understand, the professors are looking for the best fit for their lab in terms of interest. Your interests should closely align with the professors whose lab you're requesting to join. I think whether you bring additional interests to the table is subjective to the POI. In an interview I had last week, my POI asked me what kind of mentor I wanted-- I was honest and said I wanted someone who would teach me the skills I need to be a professional in my field, someone who has interests very close to mine, and would allow me to not only work on their research, but also encourage me to take on my own research as well. She liked the answer, and said she wasn't interested in just creating a bunch of mini-mes with the exact same research interests. I think it is totally up to the professor though.

10 minutes ago, brighteyes said:

Generally, from what I understand, the professors are looking for the best fit for their lab in terms of interest. Your interests should closely align with the professors whose lab you're requesting to join. I think whether you bring additional interests to the table is subjective to the POI. In an interview I had last week, my POI asked me what kind of mentor I wanted-- I was honest and said I wanted someone who would teach me the skills I need to be a professional in my field, someone who has interests very close to mine, and would allow me to not only work on their research, but also encourage me to take on my own research as well. She liked the answer, and said she wasn't interested in just creating a bunch of mini-mes with the exact same research interests. I think it is totally up to the professor though.

This professor had told me in an email back in December that he developed a research program for his students that fit their interests, but that is still under the realm of his expertise. I'm just worried bc my main interests are a little far off from what his previous students worked on. Was thinking of pitching a project I could do that combines mine and his interests at the interview, but idk if that's appropriate to do.

16 hours ago, meezy123 said:

This professor had told me in an email back in December that he developed a research program for his students that fit their interests, but that is still under the realm of his expertise. I'm just worried bc my main interests are a little far off from what his previous students worked on. Was thinking of pitching a project I could do that combines mine and his interests at the interview, but idk if that's appropriate to do.

This is a really delicate balance, but something you won't know until you try. I did this at interviews and had it backfire horribly on me, and other times it suggested I was well read and knew more intricacies about the topic than most. From what I know now, I would err on the side of caution. It's one thing to bring in new ideas, but its another thing to bring in a whole new direction to the lab which may leave PIs scratching their heads. Doesn't mean your ideas aren't relevant, good or pertinent to the lab's topic, but I think PIs would rather take a more safe and "sure" pick than to go out on a limb and choose someone with fascinating ideas and future directions which may not align as well with their work.

/rant start

I tend to be on the more daring end with my ideas and I have no regrets because it really does help both parties assess fit. I'm not going to do something I even marginally dislike, and I'm putting it out there as diplomatically as possible for my PI as well so they can get an idea of whether they'd want my ideas there or not. I could have very easily manipulated my interests in ways which would have improved my chances and fit, but I chose to stay true to my own interests. This is a hardass way of looking at things, and is likely not the best way to go by things unless you're sure you can sell your ideas (and you're egotistical and ballsy enough to give it a try--haha). The way I see it, I want to be at the place which is ideal for me. I don't mind re-applying instead of going somewhere where I'd be meh happy with, also my main interest is research so that is a very big factor I weigh. Big balancing act with this.

/rant over

Anyone else have thoughts about this? 

Edited by higaisha

10 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

I'm getting nervous about my interview...

Same! This weekend literally decides my future so i'm stressed have a mock interview tomorrow but as the day gets closer im getting more anxious but also excited to meet the people in person

7 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

I'm getting nervous about my interview...

7 hours ago, shockwave457 said:

Same! This weekend literally decides my future so i'm stressed have a mock interview tomorrow but as the day gets closer im getting more anxious but also excited to meet the people in person

Right there with you guys. My big one is a few weeks out still, but I legit wake up at night and think about it. Just my future, nbd ?

On 2/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, PsychGal said:

Does anyone have news on the University of Washington (Seattle) for clinical child psych PhD?

My prospective mentor (LZ) and I had a Skype interview, and she told me she'd let me know if I had received an in person interview invitation sometimes this week. Their interview dates are feb 28th, March 1!

On 2/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, CCVAN said:

Hi all! I am an international student so I am not very familiarized with the application process. I would really appreicate if you could give me your opinion on whether if I have not heard from the following universities it very likely means I will be rejected. I haven´t been contacted for skype neither on campus visit. Has anyone been interviewd via Skype for these? Or invited on campus?  Thanks a lot!!

McGill (Experimental) 

Rice (cognitive and affective neuroscience)

UBC (social psychology)

UT Austin (social psychology)

USC (social psychology)

I haven't heard from UT Austin (cognitive psychology) yet. I heard from my POI at Rice (cognitive and affective neuroscience) this past weekend letting me know that my application was still under serious consideration but due to a variety of different factors it may be several weeks before he knows more. Hope this helps. 

Just received an email this morning from UNC Chapel Hill's school psychology program for me to complete a qualtrics survey by Feb. 10th in reference to potential funding opportunities for which I might qualify. This is the first email I receive from this particular program. Wondering if this means I will be considered/interviewed. I'm not really sure how this particular program does it. Has anyone else received any similar emails?

4 hours ago, kwilson28 said:

I haven't heard from UT Austin (cognitive psychology) yet. I heard from my POI at Rice (cognitive and affective neuroscience) this past weekend letting me know that my application was still under serious consideration but due to a variety of different factors it may be several weeks before he knows more. Hope this helps. 

It does! Thank you sooo much  :)  Wishing you the best with your applications.

30 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Considering people started getting official rejections from Duke last week, do you think it's all right if I email the graduate coordinator and ask about the status of my application?

I think so, yes. You could also call and ask about the admissions progress in your program if you want to remain anonymous (e.g. ask about interview invites).

1 hour ago, FreudEgg said:

In regards to getting an interview or a decision?

Either. On the website of the program I applied to it said they would start reviewing applications January 15th.I haven't found any results from other people on here (or mention of anyone else applying) so I'm having difficulty gauging where they are with the process.

5 minutes ago, vallaboop said:

Either. On the website of the program I applied to it said they would start reviewing applications January 15th.I haven't found any results from other people on here (or mention of anyone else applying) so I'm having difficulty gauging where they are with the process.

Personally, I think it's totally  fine to send a nice email just asking if it's possible to check on the status of your application, or give the office a call and ask if they are aware of when invites will be extended. Good luck!