Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Do professors at the same department get back to their applicants at different times post-interview? I interviewed about 10 days ago, and one of the professors mentioned they would get back to us in 7-10 days. Another applicant applied to a different professor in the same department told me she already heard back from her POI about acceptance after a week, however I haven't heard anything from mine. Should I assume I am sort of "wait-listed" at this point? If they indicated the time frame is 7-10 days should I follow up soon? 

27 minutes ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

Do professors at the same department get back to their applicants at different times post-interview? I interviewed about 10 days ago, and one of the professors mentioned they would get back to us in 7-10 days. Another applicant applied to a different professor in the same department told me she already heard back from her POI about acceptance after a week, however I haven't heard anything from mine. Should I assume I am sort of "wait-listed" at this point? If they indicated the time frame is 7-10 days should I follow up soon? 

Its very idiosyncratic honestly. 

I've been accepted into 2 programs--for one, I was notified via the graduate coordinator, the other via POI. So if its POIs doing the acceptance notifications, then it's kinda up in the air as to when they notify people. I'd wait a few more days before following up--the POI might just be busy.

1 hour ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

Is it advised to ask places you have been rejected from to provide feedback on your app?

This is a good question. I was told by current grad students that if I was rejected from anywhere and wanted to know why, it is technically a warranted question to ask reasons as to why you were rejected in order to strengthen those areas in the future. However, it can obviously vary (and my answer didn't come from an actual PI or my lab supervisor) and hopefully others weigh in their opinions and experiences. 

Did anyone receive an email from UC Irvine Financial Aid office to create your UCInet ID?  I have not heard from UC Irvine at all and I thought interviews already happened and didn't get an email, so I am not sure if I am even still being considered, but this email gave me access to my "possible financial package" so before I start feeling hopeful I want to know if this was sent to everyone by mistake?????

5 minutes ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

Did anyone receive an email from UC Irvine Financial Aid office to create your UCInet ID?  I have not heard from UC Irvine at all and I thought interviews already happened and didn't get an email, so I am not sure if I am even still being considered, but this email gave me access to my "possible financial package" so before I start feeling hopeful I want to know if this was sent to everyone by mistake?????

I interviewed at UCI and was notified that I had been put on the waitlist. I didn't get one of those emails, but I know someone else that interviewed/on the waitlist that got that email, too. Not sure what this means

2 minutes ago, appliedpsych said:

I interviewed at UCI and was notified that I had been put on the waitlist. I didn't get one of those emails, but I know someone else that interviewed/on the waitlist that got that email, too. Not sure what this means

Did you apply to Fafsa and put UC Irvine on your school list?  I am starting to think this is separate from admissions department and FA department just sent it to everyone who applied fafsa w them... Congrats on getting interviewed I hope you get in!  it would be crazy if I get in with no interview so this email is just playing with my emotions lol

12 minutes ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

Did you apply to Fafsa and put UC Irvine on your school list?  I am starting to think this is separate from admissions department and FA department just sent it to everyone who applied fafsa w them... Congrats on getting interviewed I hope you get in!  it would be crazy if I get in with no interview so this email is just playing with my emotions lol

I was just going to ask if you had filled out the FAFSA and put the UCI as one of your schools. I got emails from two schools’ financial aid departments about my financial aid even though I didn’t get interviews at them. One explicitly stated that it was separate from grad school admissions. They were triggered by FAFSA sending them my info. 

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

I was just going to ask if you had filled out the FAFSA and put the UCI as one of your schools. I got emails from two schools’ financial aid departments about my financial aid even though I didn’t get interviews at them. One explicitly stated that it was separate from grad school admissions. They were triggered by FAFSA sending them my info. 

Thank you yes that's what my logic was telling me, too good to be true, I just wish they will send their decisions already...

6 hours ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

Is it advised to ask places you have been rejected from to provide feedback on your app?

You could try, but often you won't get any good feedback. I think it also depends on how far you have been in the process (i.e., if you weren't invited to interviews you'd probably get something generic) and how willing the prof is to give feedback. 

Do not however that I've met 2 profs so far who literally decided between their top 2 candidates with a coin flip.... So never take a rejection to personal

11 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Sigh....I'm sorry but...how hard is it to send a rejection email....

I agree. It would probably save them so many emails and phone calls from people asking about their status. ☹️ 

On 2/7/2019 at 4:03 PM, CHOUFLEUR said:

Is it normal for POIs to take some time after interview to get back to you because they might need to finalize the funding? Like if the funding comes from the department would it take a longer time to decide how to allocate them? 

Yes, this is very normal. A lot of times they will figure out how much funding is available from the department and decide who they can admit based off of that, which usually takes a bit. 

I just had a skype interview that lasted 30 mins. 15 minutes of them asking me questions and 15 minutes of me asking them questions.

I'm scared that's not a good sign. We got along okay but I don't know if 30 mins was good enough to make a good impression.

People usually have half day interviews and I can't even stay on the call for 1 hour.......

p.s: It was for a Counseling Phd.

Edited by Oluwachristabel

36 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I just had a skype interview that lasted 30 mins. 15 minutes of them asking me questions and 15 minutes of me asking them questions.

I'm scared that's not a good sign. We got along okay but I don't know if 30 mins was good enough to make a good impression.

People usually have half day interviews and I can't even stay on the call for 1 hour.......

p.s: It was for a Counseling Phd.

I don't think that was bad at all! Most Skype interviews seem to be around 30 minutes or so in length. Most in-person interviews don't last much longer than that, either (typically, you are in multiple short interviews throughout the day, spending about 30 mins to an hour each with various professionals). You're fine, don't stress. :) 

Hello, 

When RSVPing for an interview, it was offered that I could interview with multiple faculty. 

I had identified a POI, but wonder if interivewing with more folks might increase my chances.

However, I don't want to slight the POI i've been having brief correspondance with. 

What do folks thing I should do? Just interview with my intital POI, or interview with other faculty who might also fit the bill

28 minutes ago, 9 of cups said:

Hello, 

When RSVPing for an interview, it was offered that I could interview with multiple faculty. 

I had identified a POI, but wonder if interivewing with more folks might increase my chances.

However, I don't want to slight the POI i've been having brief correspondance with. 

What do folks thing I should do? Just interview with my intital POI, or interview with other faculty who might also fit the bill

I'd always recommend meeting with other professors. I don't think your POI would feel slighted at all; it's actually common for applicants to meet with many faculty members during interviews. If you're worried about your POI taking it offensively (though they should not), you can always phrase it as forward to speaking with other faculty to better help shape your understanding of the program and program culture by hearing different perspectives. It's also nice to hear about other novel work being produced there. 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, KeepItCaffeinated said:

I am a Clinical Psychology PhD applicant and the current round is not my first round. I have sought feedback on how to improve my application from programs I have and have not interviewed at. My former master's program adviser and the majority of psychologists I currently work with (some said they advise against it) said they don't see a problem with it and said it is something they doubt would hurt me. I was told to be sure to type a well thought out, clear and concise email, nothing wordy, whiny, or desperate sounding. They said it wouldn't hurt to try and if someone does not want to respond they can simply not respond. Depending on the program, I have either emailed POIs directly or DCTs and I received great feedback from many of them, a few just sent me back generic stuff about the competitiveness of Clinical Psych PhD programs and how great applicants are passed up because of it etc. etc., and there were only a couple that just completely ignored me. Overall, the feedback I got definitely helped me and this year I was invited to interview at three programs, one of which I have previously interviewed at so obviously they were not turned off by my request for info on how to improve my application.

I do know that there are a lot of people that would advise against seeking feedback on how you can improve your application in the future but as I said, for me it was helpful. You could be told it was nothing personal and that your application is great but that due to a change in funding, your POI is no longer taking a student or the rejection is related to some other factor that is not something within your control... that happens more than people think. I hope this is helpful!! I'm happy to talk more about my experience with it if you wanted to PM me.