Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Hey! Has anyone heard back from NYU's Psychology and Social Intervention (PSSI) program? I'm assuming rejection since I haven't heard anything about interviews, but there's also been nothing in the results page. 

Edited by sbsapplicant2019

1 hour ago, honeyrue said:

I don't think that was bad at all! Most Skype interviews seem to be around 30 minutes or so in length. Most in-person interviews don't last much longer than that, either (typically, you are in multiple short interviews throughout the day, spending about 30 mins to an hour each with various professionals). You're fine, don't stress. :) 

Thank you. I was losing it....

Is it a bad sign if grad students/faculty in a school say that most students take out loans on top of getting the stipend bc of the city’s location? The faculty definitely agrees and understands that the stipend isn’t competitive and knows about the complaints but  as an international student, I can’t even take out loans and idk if it’s normal for PhD students to take out loans bc the stipend is not great. 

2 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I just had a skype interview that lasted 30 mins. 15 minutes of them asking me questions and 15 minutes of me asking them questions.

I'm scared that's not a good sign. We got along okay but I don't know if 30 mins was good enough to make a good impression.

People usually have half day interviews and I can't even stay on the call for 1 hour.......

p.s: It was for a Counseling Phd.

I only had a 30 min Skype call with my POI at my 2nd choice school. I got accepted. :)

4 minutes ago, meezy123 said:

Is it a bad sign if grad students/faculty in a school say that most students take out loans on top of getting the stipend bc of the city’s location? The faculty definitely agrees and understands that the stipend isn’t competitive and knows about the complaints but  as an international student, I can’t even take out loans and idk if it’s normal for PhD students to take out loans bc the stipend is not great. 

I think it depends...there are some areas of the country where the cost of living is just absurd and even a really reputable program might not be able to provide a comfortable stipend. 

25 minutes ago, meezy123 said:

Yes. Even if it's a phenomenal program as far as education and research, you don't want to take loans since your career options aren't going to be high paid after you finish (and there are so many opportunities to get a good education without loans)

49 minutes ago, meezy123 said:

Like others have said, it kind of depends. If it's your only acceptance...... maybe. But if you receive other offers where you wouldn't have to take out loans then definitely go for that. Grad school is expensive and the debt adds up fast, faster than undergrad. I know I personally would not attend any program that would require me to take out loans because there are so many other fully funded programs with a great stipend. 

Anyone know how many applicants are typically included on an alternate/waiting list? I know it probably varies by school, but I'm now listed as an alternate for two schools and am trying to determine if I should have any degree of hope :(. Also, would it be a big no no to explicitly ask how many people are on the list?

Edited by Jaclyneb

14 minutes ago, Jaclyneb said:

Anyone know how many applicants are typically included on an alternate/waiting list? I know it probably varies by school, but I'm now listed as an alternate for two schools and am trying to determine if I should have any degree of hope :(. Also, would it be a big no no to explicitly ask how many people are on the list?

Honestly it really depends on the program, it's so variable. One program I'm waitlisted on literally waitlisted everyone that interviewed except for the few that were offered the first round of acceptances. Others had a waitlist started after phone interviews, even before in person interviews were conducted. As for your question, grad students told me that it is perfectly fine to ask about how many people are waitlisted, what your position on that waitlist is, and the chance of being accepted off of the waitlist. They said that it is mandatory for professors to answer these questions because they are bound by the APA (don't know how much truth there is to that because I have never heard about it). However, I myself am still reluctant to ask any questions like that, however I did ask one of my POIs about whether waitlisted applicants have been accepted historically and received an answer and was told that I am more than welcome to ask any other questions about it. 

Edited by Keyz

18 minutes ago, Keyz said:

Honestly it really depends on the program, it's so variable. One program I'm waitlisted on literally waitlisted everyone that interviewed except for the few that were offered the first round of acceptances. Others had a waitlist started after phone interviews, even before in person interviews were conducted. As for your question, grad students told me that it is perfectly fine to ask about how many people are waitlisted, what your position on that waitlist is, and the chance of being accepted off of the waitlist. They said that it is mandatory for professors to answer these questions because they are bound by the APA (don't know how much truth there is to that because I have never heard about it). However, I myself am still reluctant to ask any questions like that, however I did ask one of my POIs about whether waitlisted applicants have been accepted historically and received an answer and was told that I am more than welcome to ask any other questions about it. 

Thanks, that's helpful! Consulted w/ one of the postdocs I work with and decided I'm going to ask for more details :-|. 

4 hours ago, 9 of cups said:

Hello, 

When RSVPing for an interview, it was offered that I could interview with multiple faculty. 

I had identified a POI, but wonder if interivewing with more folks might increase my chances.

However, I don't want to slight the POI i've been having brief correspondance with. 

What do folks thing I should do? Just interview with my intital POI, or interview with other faculty who might also fit the bill

I've interviewed with multiple non-PI faculty members for EVERY interview I've had. This is very normal and even encouraged because the other faculty can give you a better understanding of the program as a whole and what other researchers are doing (also because you may be collaborating with them or their students)! They will likely ask you questions like "Why do you want to work with Dr. H...." instead of about their research/projects, and I would take advantage having the extra interview time to talk about other experiences or project you did not get to discuss with your PI. All the professors you interviewed with will collaborate in making the decision of who to accept to the program, so the more you can speak to them and make a good impression, the better off you are. Good luck!

14 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

I got an acceptance today and cried. I'm going to grad school, y'all ? 

Sharing this process with all of you has definitely helped make this crazy application process a lot more bearable. Wishing acceptances on everyone!

Me too! Sat in my car and sobbed. Called my mom, still crying, she thought I’d been in an accident. Congratulations! It’s such a relief isn’t it!

i hope everyone in this thread get some good news soon!

Just wanted to drop in and say good luck to everyone. With grad school in my rearview mirror, I can now appreciate this forum from a different perspective.

Wait a minute...am I like that guy who graduated high school and still hangs out at the football games?

7 minutes ago, Arcadian said:

Just wanted to drop in and say good luck to everyone. With grad school in my rearview mirror, I can now appreciate this forum from a different perspective.

Wait a minute...am I like that guy who graduated high school and still hangs out at the football games?

CONGRATULATIONS  I hope 5 years from now I am posting something similar... what's next for you?

7 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

Sharing this process with all of you has definitely helped make this crazy application process a lot more bearable. Wishing acceptances on everyone!

I am SO freaking happy for you. I know how nervous you were about this whole damn thing and the thought of having to apply again.

Please PM me where you’ll be going, I can’t wait to connect with you and keep in touch through out our journeys

CONGRATULATIONS ????❤️❤️?❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Edited by checkingmyemail

Congratulations to those with acceptances and sending good vibes to those with rejections!

I was just waitlisted at my top choice school after interviews. Going to think positive but can't help feeling like I'm in waiting purgatory again like when I was waiting for interview invites..

12 hours ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

CONGRATULATIONS  I hope 5 years from now I am posting something similar... what's next for you?

You will be.

After 6 months of time off and traveling with my wife, I took a job at a software company for a UX research position. I had taken interest in that field about 2 years prior. Several of my coworkers have a similar background in cognitive psychology, so it's a great fit. My wife and I agree that it's the happiest time in our lives. We both found good-paying jobs in the city of our choice, got a nice new home, and still have time to pursue our hobbies.

Grad school was a transformative experience for me. Made a few forever-friends and so many great memories. That period of my life shaped me into the man I was always meant to be. Seize the moment, and enjoy it!

14 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

14 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Me too! Sat in my car and sobbed. Called my mom, still crying, she thought I’d been in an accident. Congratulations! It’s such a relief isn’t it!

i hope everyone in this thread get some good news soon!

Congrats to both of you (and everyone in the thread). Eight years later, I still remember my moment of acceptance vividly. I called my mom, and then my girlfriend (now wife). Tears were shed. Cheers to your present and future success!

Edited by Arcadian

6 hours ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I was just waitlisted at my top choice school after interviews. Going to think positive but can't help feeling like I'm in waiting purgatory again like when I was waiting for interview invites..

Was this for George Mason? Don’t lose hope, people have gotten accepted from the waitlist post-interview so many times. You need to just pray people make their decisions in a timely manner! 

I’ve seen people rejected and waitlisted from GMU so far, but some of us who interviewed haven’t heard anything since interviews! ? 

Do we assume acceptance? Why haven’t they updated or emailed us? It’s confusing! Clearly they’ve got the process a little bit all over the place this year.

47 minutes ago, mm2234 said:

Hey all, I had an interview on campus yesterday and I’m trying to decide which professors/people to email thank you notes to and also how detailed to be in those emails. Recommendations??

I would definitely say to email any Faculty member you interviewed with and then any grad students you stayed with/are in the lab you applied for that you talked to!

30 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Was this for George Mason? Don’t lose hope, people have gotten accepted from the waitlist post-interview so many times. You need to just pray people make their decisions in a timely manner! 

I’ve seen people rejected and waitlisted from GMU so far, but some of us who interviewed haven’t heard anything since interviews! ? 

Do we assume acceptance? Why haven’t they updated or emailed us? It’s confusing! Clearly they’ve got the process a little bit all over the place this year.

It was! I am definitely praying for that. At the same time I'm hoping that things will work out as they are supposed to. It's tough not to just hope for an acceptance though. 

I'm guessing that maybe your POI's funding isn't fleshed out yet for this year? How frustrating for you though!