Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

Have tried to reach their secretary/admin/staff for weeks and no pickup or response. I'm not convinced they're a real school. 

Yeah the admin never answered me...I think they're just sending out the rejections bit by bit.

9 hours ago, clinpsychgradschool said:

Anyone know how common it is to get in as an alternate post-interview? My nerves are killing me

The one interview I had last cycle resulted in a waitlist post interview. I was then accepted off the waitlist about 3 weeks later (early/mid March). 

I haven't heard back from anyone so I feel like I am just waiting for all the bad news that I wont hear till come April.... ? It's all I can do to not start studying for the GRE again and consider going a non-clinical track ?

48 minutes ago, PNWFTW said:

I haven't heard back from anyone so I feel like I am just waiting for all the bad news that I wont hear till come April.... ? It's all I can do to not start studying for the GRE again and consider going a non-clinical track ?

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are applying to a bunch of tough schools. Try again next year and apply to more schools.

I do think you might have to expand the spectrum of schools you apply to next especially as you seem to have a Social Work background.

Don't give up on clinical yet. You might need to look into the POI angle a bit deeper. You have some specific interests, talk to some POIs before the next cycle and before you apply to their schools.

Edited by Oluwachristabel

5 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are applying to a bunch of tough schools. Try again next year and apply to more schools.

I do think you might have to expand the spectrum of schools you apply to next especially as you seem to have a Social Work beckground.

Don't give up on clinical yet. You might need to look into the POI angle a bit deeper. You have some specific interests, talk to some POIs before the next cycle and before you apply to their schools.

Thanks! I appreciate the support!

I am considering waiting a year or two to see if I can do some research work post-masters to make my application stronger even before I cast a wide net. I have more than 10 years of clinical experience but only a year of research and am still writing my first paper for publication so I am a super baby with research.

It is also really nice to have the prospect of contacting the POIs I like from all over not just because I want to get into the program as a whole but because I just genuinely want to get involved in their research with or without admission. It takes a huge load of pressure off lol

14 hours ago, 1996kayden said:

The one interview I had last cycle resulted in a waitlist post interview. I was then accepted off the waitlist about 3 weeks later (early/mid March). 

How did you find out you were waitlisted after the interview, I’ve been waiting on my dream school for almost 2.5 weeks after the interview.  

3 hours ago, PNWFTW said:

Same! I’m going to apply for masters programs, some RA positions, and a few job postings for clinical experience as well.

1 hour ago, BFFSkinner said:

I heard from my POI in Clinical by email to tell me I was an alternate. Good luck!

Clinical Adult or Clinical Child? I am still waiting to hear, my POI emailed me to tell me she would be in touch after the admissions committee met but I haven't heard since!

I just got waitlisted at John Jay (my top choice - posted on the results board as well) and it took a LOT of self-control to hold it together and not ugly cry in the bathroom at work lmao.  Two questions:

1. How common is it to get an offer off the waitlist?

2. Is it worth re-applying to a program you've already interviewed at?  My stomach is already in knots thinking about the prospect of applying another cycle but this program is so exceptional, I think it'd be worth it if I had a shot.

24 minutes ago, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

I just got waitlisted at John Jay (my top choice - posted on the results board as well) and it took a LOT of self-control to hold it together and not ugly cry in the bathroom at work lmao.  Two questions:

1. How common is it to get an offer off the waitlist?

2. Is it worth re-applying to a program you've already interviewed at?  My stomach is already in knots thinking about the prospect of applying another cycle but this program is so exceptional, I think it'd be worth it if I had a shot.

1. Quite common actually. Unless it's a very competitive program, people usually will accept the school as their top choice. I heard JJ is a very competitive school, so odds are very slim unfortunately ?
2. Yes, it's worth it. Although it's a little awkward (from personal experience)- This happened to me this app. round with 1 school. For the rest of the programs, I actually applied to most that rejected me in the past, and all those programs invited me to interview this time around lol (n=5 specifically where it wasn't my first time applying). I felt so confident though interviewing this time around because of my strong experiences/background, it was pretty awesome, and the PIs were truly impressed with my background.

I have an interview in a very cold state this weekend ( I’m from Las Vegas, Nevada) and I was wondering if it is okay to wear a knitted sweater as my blouse under my blazer.  It get down to 0F. Rather then a normal blouse so I am not freezing. Throughout the interview day we have to go outside a lot hence why I want to be warm.

5 minutes ago, psychxgeekx said:

I have an interview in a very cold state this weekend ( I’m from Las Vegas, Nevada) and I was wondering if it is okay to wear a knitted sweater as my blouse under my blazer.  It get down to 0F. Rather then a normal blouse so I am not freezing. Throughout the interview day we have to go outside a lot hence why I want to be warm.

The buildings should be heated, so what will be more important is that you have a good winter coat. A sweater is not going to help if your jacket is thin. 

9 minutes ago, clinpsychgradschool said:

Regarding the Yale post...if you have 3+ offers it is important to narrow those down! It is etiquette to not hold on to more than two offers at once.

Was just about to say that! :) It's good etiquette to NOT hold multiple offers. Because realistically, you are deciding between TWO choices/schools, not between 3+. It's a stressful time for everyone so please let go of one of your offers so your spot can be given to someone else who is just as anxious. Thank you!