Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

16 minutes ago, clinpsychgradschool said:

Regarding the Yale post...if you have 3+ offers it is important to narrow those down! It is etiquette to not hold on to more than two offers at once.

5 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Was just about to say that! :) It's good etiquette to NOT hold multiple offers. Because realistically, you are deciding between TWO choices/schools, not between 3+. It's a stressful time for everyone so please let go of one of your offers so your spot can be given to someone else who is just as anxious. Thank you!

Came off kinda troll-ish but maybe that’s just me and I’m sensitive af right now ??

Re: multiple offers

Per CUDCP, in case people were unaware of etiquette and guidelines: 

“6. A student should not hold more than two offers for more than one week unless there is specific information (e.g. a visit is scheduled, funding decisions, advisor decisions) they are waiting to receive from the program. Difficulty making up one’s mind is not considered an adequate excuse to limit the options available to other applicants. Holding multiple offers ties up slots, preventing programs from making offers to other students. This is a complex principle operationalized in the points below.
a. It is legitimate for students to want to visit a program, if they have not done so already, before making decisions among offers. Such visits should be scheduled as soon as practical after the offer of admission is received. If after a visit to a program the student decides that the program is rated lower than a program that the student has already been offered admission to, the student should inform the lower rank program that they will be declining their offer.
b. Whenever possible, the student applicant should inform training programs by phone or email of a decision, following up within 24 hours with a written confirmation of that decision.
c. Once a student has accepted an offer of admission to a Graduate Training Program, the student should inform all programs in which they are currently under consideration that they are either declining outstanding offers of admission or no longer wish to be considered for admission. Students should contact by phone or email those programs that have offered them admission.”

oof. They don’t even mention 3 offers! Here is more info, bc benefit of the doubt, maybe people are unaware...

https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

Just now, checkingmyemail said:

Came off kinda troll-ish but maybe that’s just me and I’m sensitive af right now ??

also I agree 99.9% ?

13 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Re: multiple offers

Per CUDCP, in case people were unaware of etiquette and guidelines: 

“6. A student should not hold more than two offers for more than one week unless there is specific information (e.g. a visit is scheduled, funding decisions, advisor decisions) they are waiting to receive from the program. Difficulty making up one’s mind is not considered an adequate excuse to limit the options available to other applicants. Holding multiple offers ties up slots, preventing programs from making offers to other students. This is a complex principle operationalized in the points below.
a. It is legitimate for students to want to visit a program, if they have not done so already, before making decisions among offers. Such visits should be scheduled as soon as practical after the offer of admission is received. If after a visit to a program the student decides that the program is rated lower than a program that the student has already been offered admission to, the student should inform the lower rank program that they will be declining their offer.
b. Whenever possible, the student applicant should inform training programs by phone or email of a decision, following up within 24 hours with a written confirmation of that decision.
c. Once a student has accepted an offer of admission to a Graduate Training Program, the student should inform all programs in which they are currently under consideration that they are either declining outstanding offers of admission or no longer wish to be considered for admission. Students should contact by phone or email those programs that have offered them admission.”

oof. They don’t even mention 3 offers! Here is more info, bc benefit of the doubt, maybe people are unaware...

https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

also I agree 99.9% ?

Didn't even know this was a thing, good to know!

2 hours ago, round2_ said:

Is that clinical specific?

The general rule I've always heard is to get all your offers, including funding, then release them as soon as you're certain you won't go. Deciding within 24-48 hours seems nuts. 

I honestly think that it can be universally applicable. Deciding between two schools I feel would be okay with taking some time to figure out. But if you have 3+ I think that's when it becomes more of a 24-48 hours issue since most of the time you can narrow down to your top two programs easily and let go of any other offers you may have. 

Sure -- if you know you're not going to go based on another offer, then it's best to withdraw your application or decline the interview asap. The 4 places I'm interviewing are pretty evenly matched (with different but significant drawbacks to each). I've been admitted to 2 and could see wrestling with them for awhile if I'm admitted to all 4.

3 hours ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

I just found out from grad advisor at USC most Psychology application results will be posted this Friday... good luck to everyone one of my top choices!

Does anyone know if all students admitted go through an interview? Thanks!

Is it at all common for people to be accepted after not receiving an interview? I’ve heard literally nothing from six of the programs I applied to, but none have formally accepted anyone despite 5/6 interview weekends already occurring and most having had at least one wave of rejections. I’m currently assuming no’s at all of them but wondering if that’s too preemptive. If I receive an offer at a school I interviewed with, should I wait for any formal rejections or follow my assumptions and just accept immediately?

2 minutes ago, applicant1627 said:

Is it at all common for people to be accepted after not receiving an interview? I’ve heard literally nothing from six of the programs I applied to, but none have formally accepted anyone despite 5/6 interview weekends already occurring and most having had at least one wave of rejections. I’m currently assuming no’s at all of them but wondering if that’s too preemptive. If I receive an offer at a school I interviewed with, should I wait for any formal rejections or follow my assumptions and just accept immediately?

For reputable, clinical psychology Ph.D./Psy.D. programs, you must complete an interview before being offered acceptance to a program.

Schools generally wait until all acceptances are finalized (from those invited to interview) before sending rejections to all applicants.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:10 AM, LeeLeetoPhD said:

I just got a slack notification and email from my PI  that I got my USC Social Psychology Acceptance and that I should receive my letter in 1-2 days.

Have you been interviewed? Thanks!

So this was my first time applying straight out of undergrad and I managed to land two interviews (yay!!). Unfortunately, I got rejected from my top choice and my chances aren't looking so hot for the other. I know this happens a lot so any advice/words of encouragement for my next steps would be much appreciated :) 

Total nothing so far on my status but "in review." I reached out to my POIs and Admin and I am still just under review? No interviews, calls, emails, wait-list, rejections, or acceptances? Do I exist?

2 minutes ago, lifeofpsy said:

So this was my first time applying straight out of undergrad and I managed to land two interviews (yay!!). Unfortunately, I got rejected from my top choice and my chances aren't looking so hot for the other. I know this happens a lot so any advice/words of encouragement for my next steps would be much appreciated :) 

Exact same thing happened to me last year. Two interviews, then two rejections, was still in undergrad. Take your time to take care of yourself and mourn for this cycle. I happened to take a beach trip the week that I got rejected, but that was just lucky :) Then when you're ready, make a game plan on what you'll do this next year or two, whether that's an RA position or some other path. Two interviews shows that you're already so close, reapplying with a degree and a touch more experience in a year or two will get you to where you want to be. I applied the next cycle and am really happy with the number of interviews that I got. In a year, you'll be saying that you're so glad you got to take a year off of school and learn more about yourself (even if right now that feels like BS). You're awesome!!

6 minutes ago, lifeofpsy said:

Congratulations! That is a huge step! You are well on your way, life is about the journey after all.

37 minutes ago, buckeyepsych said:

Exact same thing happened to me last year. Two interviews, then two rejections, was still in undergrad. Take your time to take care of yourself and mourn for this cycle. I happened to take a beach trip the week that I got rejected, but that was just lucky :) Then when you're ready, make a game plan on what you'll do this next year or two, whether that's an RA position or some other path. Two interviews shows that you're already so close, reapplying with a degree and a touch more experience in a year or two will get you to where you want to be. I applied the next cycle and am really happy with the number of interviews that I got. In a year, you'll be saying that you're so glad you got to take a year off of school and learn more about yourself (even if right now that feels like BS). You're awesome!!

Thank you so much, it is so good to hear that you're doing so well this round! I wish you all the best 

23 hours ago, LeeLeetoPhD said:

How did you find out you were waitlisted after the interview, I’ve been waiting on my dream school for almost 2.5 weeks after the interview.  

Depends widely on the school. I always ask during the interview what the admissions process looks like going forward so I have a timeline. For this school I heard about waitlist about 2 weeks after the interview.

3 minutes ago, holdingouthope said:

Just got waitlisted as a "middle" alternate. I'm curious if there are any doc students who were in this same boat, and actually got off the waitlist? I don't even know what that means...

How did you find out about it? From the POI? I think it is ok to reach out and ask which number you are on the waitlist... middle alternate doesn't really tell you where you stand. Good luck!