Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, PNWFTW said:

Total nothing so far on my status but "in review." I reached out to my POIs and Admin and I am still just under review? No interviews, calls, emails, wait-list, rejections, or acceptances? Do I exist?

Yeah, I feel most schools don't do a very good job in updating everyone. Like I heard from a school last night saying I'm rejected, meanwhile my application still says "under faculty review" anyway. And others that haven't even bothered updating even though its been way past their interview days. Although if you reached out to both POIs and Admin and they said the same thing, maybe they still need some more time? Have others applying for your programs heard anything?

5 hours ago, T Qi said:

Does anyone know if all students admitted go through an interview? Thanks!

What type of program are you applying to? For example, UMich’s social psychology department, And Minnesota ‘s developmental departments don’t interview before they admit. As others have said, it’s not typical for clinical programs, but in other departments, I’ve also seen people mention that they were unknowingly waitlisted, never interviewed and ended up getting a spot. It really all just depends. 

25 minutes ago, today.is.not.the.day said:

How did you find out about it? From the POI? I think it is ok to reach out and ask which number you are on the waitlist... middle alternate doesn't really tell you where you stand. Good luck!

@holdingouthope It also becomes a bit more complicated since some programs use both a waitlist AND an alternate list while others use those terms interchangeably. I think that if you are concerned about it, you can definitely reach out for clarification, but make sure to word it properly. 

5 minutes ago, Keyz said:

@holdingouthope It also becomes a bit more complicated since some programs use both a waitlist AND an alternate list while others use those terms interchangeably. I think that if you are concerned about it, you can definitely reach out for clarification, but make sure to word it properly. 

I didn't know that about the lists, thanks for sharing!

32 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I just got accepted into a school and I am ecstatic. I know I won't be accepting the offer because the funding isn't right but I got in, y'all......... *does a mini jiggy* *insert twerk emoji*

Congratulations!!!!

43 minutes ago, TheEternalGrad said:

Yeah, I feel most schools don't do a very good job in updating everyone. Like I heard from a school last night saying I'm rejected, meanwhile my application still says "under faculty review" anyway. And others that haven't even bothered updating even though its been way past their interview days. Although if you reached out to both POIs and Admin and they said the same thing, maybe they still need some more time? Have others applying for your programs heard anything?

I have seen people already getting their admissions and rejections from the schools I applied to. I'm thinking will get all the rejections in late March once they are done but still feel like I have to hold out some hope that a random phone call interview will happen and I will get picked since I am still apparently in review ?

Just now, Psyhopeful said:

What type of program are you applying to? For example, UMich’s social psychology department, And Minnesota ‘s developmental departments don’t interview before they admit. As others have said, it’s not typical for clinical programs, but in other departments, I’ve also seen people mention that they were unknowingly waitlisted, never interviewed and ended up getting a spot. It really all just depends. 

I am applying to general (non-clinical) psychology. For example, I didn't see anyone posting USC psychology PhD interview (though one said all interviews had been sent out), but it is said that most decisions will be made by this Friday. So I wonder what is happening.

Anyway there's only one day left...fingers crossed...

Edited by T Qi

Hi all, I need advice. I am supposed to stay overnight with a graduate student today into tomorrow before the interview. The graduate student just let me know that she is sick. I have a very weak immune system and cannot afford to get sick, as when I do it typically evolves into hospitalization-needed sickness. Is there a nice way to back out of staying with her and grab a hotel? Is it too short of notice? Will this offend her or look bad to the program? Should I just suck it up and hope I don’t get sick? Heeelllppp!! 

Edited by honeyrue
Typo

5 minutes ago, honeyrue said:

Hi all, I need advice. I am supposed to stay overnight with a graduate student today into tomorrow before the interview. The graduate student just let me know that she is sick. I have a very weak immune system and cannot afford to get sick, as when I do it typically evolves into hospitalization-needed sickness. Is there a nice way to back out of staying with her and grab a hotel? Is it too short of notice? Will this offend her or look bad to the program? Should I just suck it up and hope I don’t get sick? Heeelllppp!! 

I would email the people who are coordinating the arrangements immediately. Your host let you know she was sick for a reason, (which was really great of her!) I'm sure she would understand and probably also be relieved if you stayed elsewhere. Your health is important. It is perfectly acceptable for you to explain this and ask for alternate arrangements, just be prepared to offer to take care of it yourself. A good program will likely make new arrangements for you anyway, though.

8 minutes ago, honeyrue said:

I would tell the graduate student about your immune system and your fear along with a get well package/card... They also know the stress and fear around interviews so I don't think she will be upset if anything this will allow her/him to focus on taking care of themselves instead of hosting.

Hi everyone!

I've had two interviews so far for clinical psych, and I have one coming up in a week. I've got a couple questions. 

I'm wondering:

• How likely is it that I'll get accepted to a program that I'm re-interviewing for (interviewed last spring)?
  • Would you personally attend a really good program in a place that's not ideal? (In my case, it's waaaaaay too cold and kind of isolated.)
  • If you don't feel "at home" in a program, but it's a good program and you think you could grow into it, would you go? 
  • In the case that you get into a program you don't want to go to, how do you turn them down? 

Thank you! 

47 minutes ago, pacogri said:

Hi everyone!

I've had two interviews so far for clinical psych, and I have one coming up in a week. I've got a couple questions. 

I'm wondering:

• How likely is it that I'll get accepted to a program that I'm re-interviewing for (interviewed last spring)?
  • Would you personally attend a really good program in a place that's not ideal? (In my case, it's waaaaaay too cold and kind of isolated.)
  • If you don't feel "at home" in a program, but it's a good program and you think you could grow into it, would you go? 
  • In the case that you get into a program you don't want to go to, how do you turn them down? 

Thank you! 

I have not re-interviewed, so I can't speak to that. However, I lived in ideal and not-so-ideal places before and found that university/workplace/people have a great influence on how I feel. So yes, I would attend a good program regardless. If it is a good program but there are factors that cause concern, I would carefully consider if it is really something I can grow into or if it would make me unhappy in the long run. Turning down a program would include letting them know that I truly appreciate their offer because I would not want to burn bridges.

2 hours ago, psychxgeekx said:

I been waiting almost a month after my interview about the decision on my application. Is it okay to email your POI and ask when decisions will be made on the application?

Similar to @psychxgeekx I am coming up on week 3 after my interview with my POI, what should I do?  I want to know if I've been wait listed I've read on here to contact after 4 weeks what do you guys think?  

4 hours ago, 1996kayden said:

Depends widely on the school. I always ask during the interview what the admissions process looks like going forward so I have a timeline. For this school I heard about waitlist about 2 weeks after the interview.

@1996kayden I did ask and she whispered to me don't worry about it you're fine at the mixer...and no response...

1 hour ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

I would tell the graduate student about your immune system and your fear along with a get well package/card... They also know the stress and fear around interviews so I don't think she will be upset if anything this will allow her/him to focus on taking care of themselves instead of hosting.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind, please don't do this. this feels like such a weird and unnecessary move

2 hours ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

@Psychdreaming143 if it were me I'd stay with them bring a facemask when I was sleeping/ a few clorox wipes and try to sneak wipe things down.  I'd make up a story off having recently been ill and how excited you were about staying with the student that you decided it was worth the sacrifice.  So they feel bad and you also have an excuse to be anal.  

Would turning down an event after the interview day reflect poorly on me? I was just invited to have dinner at a professor's house and members of her lab after all the interview activities are over. It's not the professor I'm interested in working with but she was included in the email. I was planning on going to a nice dinner  in the city with my boyfriend afterwards for my birthday (which is three days before the interview). I don't want to cancel and risk harming my chances of being accepted but I was also really looking forward to spending a romantic night after all the craziness. Any thoughts?

Edited by vallaboop

6 hours ago, PNWFTW said:

Total nothing so far on my status but "in review." I reached out to my POIs and Admin and I am still just under review? No interviews, calls, emails, wait-list, rejections, or acceptances? Do I exist?

Good lord, I feel this. I applied to 9 schools and I've heard absolutely NOTHING from 8 of them. Every single portal says "In review". ?