Jump to content
dancedementia

Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PsychGal said:

Where to??

Counseling psych at Southern Miss ! Very excited about this program and thrilled to have the opportunity to interview!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ktwalsh said:

Is it generally a good idea to send a thank you email after a Skype/phone interview?

Yes. I would keep it brief and mention something in particular you found helpful or interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relevant to the recent discussion on joining labs - if the only research projects I could join were non-paid at my alma mater, would this experience look less "official" or worthwhile to admissions folks as opposed to experience gained through a paid assistant position? Advice appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Well no interview invites yet, BUT I did just get a job offer to work full-time in a new lab :) salary and benefits! Yay for a backup plan!

Congrats! How are you handling potentially starting a PhD program along with having the offer? Does the lab know that it's contingent on you not getting accepted to a program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socpsy said:

Congrats! How are you handling potentially starting a PhD program along with having the offer? Does the lab know that it's contingent on you not getting accepted to a program?

Yep :). Two of my letter writers work there! So everyone knows I’ll either work there for 8 months then head off to school, or stay and do a masters at my local uni! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Relevant to the recent discussion on joining labs - if the only research projects I could join were non-paid at my alma mater, would this experience look less "official" or worthwhile to admissions folks as opposed to experience gained through a paid assistant position? Advice appreciated!

ANY research experience is worthwhile and valuable. The more experience the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Yep :). Two of my letter writers work there! So everyone knows I’ll either work there for 8 months then head off to school, or stay and do a masters at my local uni! 

That's nice! No one wanted to hire me because I was honest enough to tell them I was planning on leaving for grad school come august :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my first interview invite this morning! Great way to start a Tuesday :)

I wasn't expecting any notifications until at least Friday so this was a great surprise, aah I'm so excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoldierOn said:

I just got my first interview invite this morning! Great way to start a Tuesday :)

I wasn't expecting any notifications until at least Friday so this was a great surprise, aah I'm so excited!

Congrats!  Were to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

Congrats!  Were to?

University of Mississippi (Clinical PhD)! 

Given that this is my first application season I have also realized that I have no idea how to respond to one of these emails. Luckily I’m meeting with my lab’s Post-Doc today to talk about the interview process so hopefully she can help me out a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the person who received an email from UO clinical for a Skype interview, would you mind DMing me your POI? Much appreciated, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SoldierOn said:

University of Mississippi (Clinical PhD)! 

Given that this is my first application season I have also realized that I have no idea how to respond to one of these emails. Luckily I’m meeting with my lab’s Post-Doc today to talk about the interview process so hopefully she can help me out a bit. 

CONGRATS!

I just responded thanking them for the opportunity to interview and confirming that I will attend. My POI was on the email also so I responded to her suggestion to contact other members of the lab and stated that I was looking forward to learning more about the program and meeting faculty on interview day.  Just be gracious and courteous :) I doubt they have time to nitpick exactly what you say as a response ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the person who received the interview invite for social psychology at Northwestern, do you mind DMing the POI? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bd2018 said:

For the person who received the interview invite for social psychology at Northwestern, do you mind DMing the POI? Thanks!

Ditto!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PsychGal said:

Has anyone heard from UGA?

Apparently someone has received an interview invite for the clinical psych program today. Not sure if I should start being bummed out or not already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stinger said:

Apparently someone has received an interview invite for the clinical psych program today. Not sure if I should start being bummed out or not already...

Same! I saw that and assumed they sent out all the invites, just wanted to see if anyone on here received the general email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, checkingmyemail said:

Is this University of Georgia? For Clinical? I just saw the results page the program coordinator sent a mass e-mail with invites today

Yep, that's what I saw as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stinger said:

Apparently someone has received an interview invite for the clinical psych program today. Not sure if I should start being bummed out or not already...

I didn't apply there, but it's safe to say when the DCT/Program coordinator sends out mass e-mails, they've completed their review for initial in-person invites. 
:( Sorry, this whole process f*^&cking sucks. I've been there before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PsychGal said:
1 hour ago, stinger said:

Has anyone heard from UCSB? Haven't seen anything about it on results!

Someone applying to counseling PhD heard back according to results page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't sifted through 33 pages of entries, but are there any other Community Psychology PhD candidates out there? It's such a small field, but I'd love to meet up with others who are applying. I have submitted apps to: UIC, DePaul, Hawaii, NCSU, GWU, U Mich, Cincinnati, UCSC, Portland, Miami, Alaska and a few social psych programs where my POI was interested in the same areas of research.  Plus UMass Psych of Peace. I have held it together until now, finals week. I am taking 16 units and I cannot focus on anything but my app status.

Basic Stats:

3.89 GPA

GRE Mid-150s

5-written

6 months in a qual lab on interpersonal violence

Presenting my own research on disproportionality in special education this spring

2 years experience in community organizing and grass roots community training, including co-founding my own action group that now has 200 members

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.