Asking About Admissions Status?

DUguy333

I emailed the director of graduate admissions at Northwestern's journalism school on January 29th to ask when summer applicants (to start in June) could expect to hear; she said all decisions would be posted on March 1st.

I've since received a full scholarship at another school -- the catch here is that it's offered by the EU (the school is in Europe) and I have to accept it by February 28th. Well, "have" to accept it is misleading -- if I don't decline it by February 28th, they can't give it to another student.

Should I follow up with Northwestern and tell them this? Or should I just stick it out since I've already asked once? I'd feel bad about depriving another student of the scholarship if I end up not going to this school, but I don't want to decline it without hearing from Northwestern first.

Explain your situation to them. I think it's legitimate and the person who may ultimately get your funding if you decline will thank you.

I asked and they said they couldn't do anything. I guess I didn't know what I expected, I just feel bad about giving an unconditional "yes" to the fellowship and potentially having to decline it after the deadline :(

I asked and they said they couldn't do anything. I guess I didn't know what I expected, I just feel bad about giving an unconditional "yes" to the fellowship and potentially having to decline it after the deadline :(

What about contacting the EU school and asking for an extension? Maybe they have some flexibility.

What about contacting the EU school and asking for an extension? Maybe they have some flexibility.

The fellowship is offered by the EU, not by the school, and the deadline is because they have to start running background checks and whatnot. I don't think there's any flexibility there.

It is still way too early. The median date for decisions isn't until roughly February 29. If you ask them before late March, they might get the impression that you're rushing them (and impatient). The only instance where I see it being appropriate is if they don't confirm receiving your application before the deadline, and in that case you would actually look responsible.

What if i have offers which I must decide whether to take or not by end of Feb? I only have a few days left. If I explain to them, will that be fine?

Do you suggest that I email the program directors or call the departments up directly?

What if i have offers which I must decide whether to take or not by end of Feb? I only have a few days left. If I explain to them, will that be fine?

Do you suggest that I email the program directors or call the departments up directly?

This is the same position I was in when I asked, and I regret asking. They can't do anything about it -- if they haven't made a decision yet, they haven't made a decision. I was hoping that they might have already made a decision but were waiting to announce it.

OK. Time to judge a communication.

I spoke with the graduate secretary today (should I have called the chair?) at UCLA for archaeology. First I asked about transcripts, and she said it was her mistake and then blah blah. So then I asked when we should be hearing. She said some interviews were scheduled and if I was among the accepted I should hear this week by email and if not she is "sorry." She said the last part like in a sad voice. Is this bad? Do you think she knows? I am so scared now!

Ack!

If you are accepted or waitlisted, and ask, and they see that, they will NOT be annoyed. You are obviously a serious applicant, and psychologically, they will be sympathetic to your asking.

Gotta disagree with that. If a school told you when they'd be sending out notifications, don't bug them until after that time. If you're waitlisted, a secretary's opinion may tip the balance.

To xyz- you might want to ask the schools where you've already been accepted if they can give you an extension, both of the schools I've been accepted to sent me alarmingly soon deadlines, but after talking to the departments, I was told I had much more time. I still have 3 schools to hear back from, and was worried that I wouldn't make the deadlines for schools I had been accepted to.... much less stress now.

I definitely don't bother schools with application results, but they usually encourage students to check that all application materials were recieved. I called three of my applicant schools to confirm all parts and pieces were recieved. Two didn't ask for my name, and the third thanked me for calling to make sure everything was there. I said "Great, thank you very much!" and let them go on their merry way.